We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kauai in 4 days

Iowa
Level Contributor
48 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Kauai in 4 days

We will be in Kauai in late April for about four days. We are an adventuresome couple, about 50 years old & in good physical condition. We will definitely do some hiking to enjoy the natural beauty but are also wondering if there are any overnight stays in the "jungle" with a kayaking tour. This will probably be our one and only visit to the Island in our lifetime. Anyone have suggestions on adventures we shouldn't miss out on?

Riverside, CA
Level Contributor
663 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kauai in 4 days

I am not sure if there are overnight kayak tours, there may be some that spend the night in the Wailua River Valley, but I doubt it. Overnight camping in Kauai requires special permits.

There are a couple of Na Pali Coast kayaking tours which take all day (8 to 10 hours plus) and by all accounts are awesome.

I highly suggest a dinner/sunset cruise through Holo Holo Charters. It is really an amazing, safest, and least physcial exausting way to see the Na Pali Coast line.

I also highly suggest a helicopter tour too. In fact, the best way to see the island is to take the helicopter tour first, so you see every part of the island. Then take the dinner cruise (Check Holo Holo since sometimes they offer discounts with the helicopter companies).

Then on another day drive the road up to Waimea Canyon and the Kalalau lookout. Do that in the morning. Once at the lookout you can hike down a bit to see it even better. On the way back stop in the towns of Waimea and Hanapee.

The next day, drive up to the North shore and enjoy Moloaa Bay (Gilligan's island filmed there), Annini BEach, then the lighthouse, then the Town of Hanalei, the beach at Hanalei, black pot pier, then off to Tunnels beach and Kee beach. Geesh, just soo much to do.

Don;'t spend too much money on your hotel room, because you will only be in it at night.

Level Contributor
905 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Kauai in 4 days

I hiked every day all day and there was no way to see it all. I tried to get some drippy wet forest, some jaw dropping views, some coastline and some random hikes. I used the Ultimate Kauai book which I found to be very descriptive and reliable. But he suggests trespassing for some hikes, so I skipped those. When he writes that a hike can be dangerous take it seriously, he is right. There are plenty of other guidebooks. Here is a rrecent discussion about some

tripadvisor.com/…

California
Level Contributor
35,561 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kauai in 4 days

This is what I think you are talking about, but these tours don't go out in April. Its more a summer thing due to the water conditions.

http://napalikayak.com/

Wailua
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
1,773 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Kauai in 4 days

I'm always happy to help people who want to hike and camp. Unfortunately, 4 days is not much to see the island and do camping trips. And it's a long way to bring your camping gear for just one night out.

I don't think there are any commercial overnight kayak tours, and certainly not on the Wailua River. Wailua River State Park does not have any legal camp sites. The only place that would be possible is on the Na Pali coast, and April still has the potential for high surf. Na Pali tours usually start late May, or June depending on the conditions. You would have to contact a private guide (I always recommend Eric at Hike Kaua'i with Me, and I think he has a kayak--but there are others) and see if they can take you where you want. But even if they can, the ocean conditions will dictate whether you go at all.

But I will say that kayaking the Na Pali coast, especially with a night of camping at Kalalau or Milolii is one of the most spectacular adventures on Kaua'i.

If you are experienced enough and bring your own camping equipment, you could do something on your own like rent for 2 days in Hanalei, and paddle to Anini for camping. It is a public campground that has regular car camping right near the beach. There is a boat channel through the reef there. I would not consider any wild beach for camping, that would be illegal and landing a kayak very uncertain if you don't know the reef, currents and shore breaks. But again, ocean conditions are not ideal in April and there's a large chance you can't go out at all.

Here are some other options, with descending levels of camping experience:

- Get Kalalau permits for all 4 nights, bring your backpacks and do the Kalalau trail (must be in extra good backpacking shape).

- Do a 2-day 1-night hiking descent of Waimea Canyon. There are legal campsites in the canyon, but you need to get permits beforehand at the State DOFAW (dept of forestry and wildlife) in Lihue. If you don't feel comfortable doing it yourself, one of the guides can help.

- Camp at the state campground in Kokee and do day hikes from there. Or if you have the budget, rent one of the rustic cabins from the Lodge or Camp Sloggett. Camp Sloggett also has cheap dorm-room accomodations if you want cheap without camping.

- Or like FarralonesCA, just get regular accomodations, and hike every day. Plan to do Hanakapi'ai for a taste of the North Shore, and the Nualolo-'Awa'awapuhi loop for spectacular NaPali views. Then choose from other hikes such as Kilohana on the boardwalk (native forest), Canyon trails (dry but spectacular), interior adventures (Powerline, Waikoko, Tunnel, all wet and muddy, some extremely strenuous), or coastal views (Mahaulepu and Sleeping Giant).

I just re-read the original post, and I wonder if what I'm suggesting isn't too strenuous for you. Please consider your options carefully and evaluate your abilities honestly.

Iowa
Level Contributor
48 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kauai in 4 days

Thanks for your input. Yes, alot of what you suggested is probably over our level, but we definitely plan on doing alot of hiking. Several have suggested taking a helicopter tour. Where & with what company would you recommend? I've read several threads that you've posted to so figured you're an expert on the area. We're actually taking the seven day cruise on the Norwegian cruise line with Kauai being our last island (the cruise stays in Kauai for two days). So we're getting off the boat in Kauai (not returning to Honolullu) & will be there from Thursday (staying on the ship that night & the island the remaining nights) and leaving Tuesday. I believe the ship docks in Lihue. Could you suggest a possible itinerary for us based on this information?

East Coast
Level Contributor
1,088 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Kauai in 4 days

In my opinion the view of the Na Pali coast that the Cruise ship does on the last day is simply the best way to see it. It goes from Lihue and passes the Kilauea lighthouse, Hanalei bay, the entire Na pali also gets close to Niihau and Lehua.

The cost to fly back from honolulu is far less than a helicopter or boat tour.

My favorite and the most picturesque kayak trip is up the Hanalei river.

Kayak Kauai even let us return the kayaks, have lunch and then go down the river to the bay and ocean (check ocean conditions in April)

Louisville
Level Contributor
3,115 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Kauai in 4 days

Helicopter Ride A MUST DO

North Shore Drive and hike

Waimea Canyon numerous trails

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
4,965 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Kauai in 4 days

I saw The Descendants today .. filmed on Kauai and Oahu. The scenery is magnificent.

I rushed home to watch the DVD of my helicopter ride over Kauai.

It is just awesome. We went with Safari and I couldn't fault them at all.

I hate flying, but I forced myself to go, and I enjoyed every minute of. Put it on the bucket list!

9. Re: Kauai in 4 days

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 February 2013, 10:20