We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

My Kauai hiking trip report

Level Contributor
55 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
My Kauai hiking trip report

Hey all you hikers! I just hiked two of Kauai's better known trails: the Kalalau Trail to the waterfall (8 miles RT located in north Kauai at the end of the road) and the Nualolo-Awa'awapuhi Loop trail (9+ miles RT located in Kokee Park on the west side of the island). Both hikes were awesome but included some pretty steep terrain. The Kalalau trail was very muddy and very slippery and involves several stream crossings so I was glad I had my hiking poles with me. The waterfall is spectacular as is the swimming hole below the falls (You must plan on swimming under the falls.) This trek took me (female,mid-50s, 40 lb. overweight but reasonably good hiker) about 5 hours to complete. The Nualolo Trail takes you out to a fantastic lookout over the NaPali coast, then you take the Nualolo Cliffs trail across to connect to the Awa'awapuhi Trail, head out to the lookout, then back up the trail to the road. Hitchhike or walk about a mile and a half back to your car. Don't let warnings about the Nualolo Cliff Trail scare you off - there is nothing scary or unsafe about it. I really enjoyed both of these hikes but got pretty pooped out after the Loop hike which took me about 6 hours to complete. I look forward to doing more hiking on my next visit to Kauai. My best tip: Bring your hiking poles! I'm sure I would have slipped without them. Contact me if you have any questions.

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
2,594 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: My Kauai hiking trip report

Two of the better ones on Kauai - glad you enjoyed them.

Not sure if I'd call swimming directly under the falls a must. My wife twice saw a football sized rock come down over the falls when she was swimming near the falls. Last time was about 3 years ago and it landed very close to her friend.

Most likely it won't happen to you, but if it does it'll ruin your day.

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,897 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: My Kauai hiking trip report

Aloha from Kaua'i!

Just to clarify, the hike to the falls is the Hanakapi'ai Falls hike - you hike into Hanakapi'ai Beach and then go mauka (inland) on a trail that takes you to the falls - as mentioned above, you do need to be careful when swimming there, falling rocks from above can be a real danger.

Malama Pono,

Janet

Taylors Falls...
Level Contributor
764 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: My Kauai hiking trip report

The Falls is an incredible swimming hole. To avoid rocks falling and maiming or killing, just don't swim under the falls.

As Janet said, be careful, but if you like to swim this place is Edenesque.

Wailua
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
1,834 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: My Kauai hiking trip report

Thanks for the hike report, you did indeed hike Kaua'i's "crown jewels." But there are plenty of other nice hikes for next time...

I'm glad you commented on the Nualolo Cliff trail condition. I know some people find the eroded section intimidating, so it's good to hear that it is not an issue for others. And good call on the hiking sticks. They help with balance and give you a bit more oomph (yes, that is a technical hiking term :-) for those uphill sections.

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
16,998 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: My Kauai hiking trip report

A shining example of 50 year olds not being ready for the nursing home just yet. lol. (harkening back to a recent thread).

Good job, you've inspired me and others I'm sure.

Taylors Falls...
Level Contributor
764 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: My Kauai hiking trip report

I am 55 and my wife 57 and sad to say, 25 pounds north of being of ideal weight.

We did the Falls 8 miler. We never intended on doing it, just hoping for the beach and back. But it sucked us in and was the highlight of our trip!

Do you think we can also do the Nualola-Awa'awapuhi 9 miler next trip? Which one did you enjoy the most? We so badly want to do the falls again, and we just did it early November.

Fill us in on the highlights. Which one would you definitely do again?

San Diego...
Level Contributor
1,169 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: My Kauai hiking trip report

we did the H. Falls hike and the Awa'awaphuhi hike during our trip in Oct. We were scared off the Nualola-Awa loop based on prior comments. At the end of the Awa' trail, we met 2 guys that had just finished the Nualola part of the loop trail. The feedback was that it was fine. But it was too late in the day for us so we just went back out the way we came. I was quite disappointed that we didn't get to do the entire loop.

Level Contributor
55 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: My Kauai hiking trip report

Yikes! Thanks to everyone on the warning about falling rocks - it never even occurred to me. As for the Nualoa - Awa'awapuhi Loop hike, I think you can do the whole loop as long as you take rest stops and bring snacks and hiking sticks. If only doing one, I think the Awa'awapuhi trail is easier - the Nualoa trail was much muddier and steeper in places. I was glad I didn't have to go back up it.

British Columbia...
Level Contributor
619 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: My Kauai hiking trip report

How are the roads getting to the trais we have rented a car and it states no off road driving. Can we get to the trail heads in a rental car.thanks for the report I am 50+ and hike in the Canadian Rockies and hoping for some good hikes while I am there but the other couple are walkers not real hikers do you think they will be to much for them.

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,897 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: My Kauai hiking trip report

Aloha from Kaua'i!

Just a friendly correction in name - the name of the trail referenced in the previous 2-3 posts is the Nualolo-Awa'awapuhi Trail.

Malama Pono,

Janet