We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Marriott's in Kauai

San Francisco...
9 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Marriott's in Kauai

My grandparents have graciously offered to pay for my fiance and I's honeymoon using their Marriott points. We've decided on Kauai but I wanted to get some opinions on which Marriott location we should choose. Marriott's Kauai Beach Club or Lagoons in Lihue, or Marriott's Waihoai Beach Club in Poipu. Thanks for your help!

Toms River, New...
Destination Expert
for Kapolei
Level Contributor
1,938 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Marriott's in Kauai

Some of it depends on when you are coming and what accommodations you are expecting. If you are traveling during school breaks you will see a much higher number of childres.

The Waiohai tends to attract lots of families because, except for a few hotel rooms, the units are all 2 bedroom villas. The resort is on one of the nicest beaches on Kauai and is withing walking distance of some shopping and restaurants. The hotel rooms are pretty small and there are no amenities at the Waiohai (no rooms service, valet, and limited dining). This is a terrific property that is just lovely to see. We are owners here. The big upside is being right on the beach.

The Lagoons are above Kalapaki Bay and pretty remote. These are all villas, 1, 2 and 3 bedroom. You can walk down to the Kauai Beach Club and all the restaurants in the that area. I have never stayed there and there was still some construction last time I was there.

Finally, the Kauai Beach Club is on Kalapaki Bay which is probably one of the most famous sites on Kauai. This is a fairly fully service resort with both a hotel and timeshare section. The pool is the largest (last I heard) in the islands and the resort is quite amazing. Right on the beach of the bay with lots of lawn space between the massive pool and the beach. Nicely centrally located and there are restaurants on the property and right off property. I have enjoyed all my stay here.

All in all they are all nice properties but for honeymooners I think I would recommend the Kauai Beach Club.

Los Angeles, CA
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
4,327 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Marriott's in Kauai

The Marriot Beach Club without a doubt! Beautiful pool, huge! Great hot tubs with excellent views and nice dining options including Dukes next door. It is beachfront, you'll love it.

California
Level Contributor
37,447 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Marriott's in Kauai

For a honeymoon use the points at the Beach Club!

Kapaa, Hawaii
Level Contributor
894 posts
192 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Marriott's in Kauai

If they are reward points, I echo the Beach Club votes. For Destination points, the Kauai Lagoons if possible.

Taylors Falls...
Level Contributor
764 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Marriott's in Kauai

The Beach Club is pretty dreamy. How long is your stay?

You are very fortunate to have your generous grandparents. Text them daily, while on Kauai, to let them know how grateful you both are. That is the best thank you you can give them.

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
17,082 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Marriott's in Kauai

Both the Waiohai and Beach Club locations are popular with families when it's family travel seasons.

When Kauai is busy with families the Lihue locations has an edge because the pool and common pool area is more larger and more spread out giving one more private 'territory'. That;s the only problem I have with the Waiohai. It can get pretty cramped in the pool area when the place is hopping with families. The Lihue location has a much less crowded beachfront area also. Tends to get pretty crowded at the beach in front of the Waiohai.

My only reservation with the Lihue location is the weather which can be a little more iffy in the winter months there.

San Francisco...
9 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Marriott's in Kauai

Thanks so much for all the helpful replies!

We'll be traveling in late July/early August so I'm sure there will be a lot of children there which brings me to a Question Part 2: given the fact that Marriott has more 'resorts' rather than 'vacation clubs' on Maui and Oahu, might I enjoy a honeymoon more on either of those islands?

I've been to both Maui and Oahu when I was younger and loved both, but enjoyed Maui more. My Fiance has been to neither. I was looking at the Wailea Beach Marriott Resort & Spa and the JW Marriott Ihilani Ko Olina Resort & Spa in particular.

I've stayed at the Maui Ocean Club with my grandparents before and loved it, so I'm sure I would love the vacation clubs in Kauai, I was just worried that it might not be best for a honeymoon and some of your replies make me think my worries might be justified.

California
Level Contributor
37,447 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Marriott's in Kauai

Maui or Kauai are both fabulous and you can't go wrong with either island. They are my favorites. Maui will be more crowded for sure. That's the busy time on Kauai but its no where like Maui during high season. If you are more into fine dining and shopping, choose Maui. If you are into laid back, adventurous, more rural type of honeymoon, choose Kauai.

I remember visiting the Wailea property last July and noticed how hot it gets in Wailea. You might want to post a similar question on the Maui boards.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
54,336 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Marriott's in Kauai

You are going to find families at any Marriott in HI inJuly/August.

I'd go with the Marriott in Lihue, Beach Club first than the Lagoons. My second choice would be the Marriott Waikoloa on the BI. Maui would be my last choice.

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
17,082 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Marriott's in Kauai

Scott's right. There will be families everywhere in August.

In August you'll be perfectly good with the weather in LIhue. It will be closer to get to the beautiful and romantic north shore also. For these I'd vote the Lihue location (Beach Club).

I'm not sure I understand your point about Maui and Oahu having more "resorts" vs. 'vacation clubs" than Kauai. Keep in mind that the Marriott Beach Club on Kalapaki Bay is only partly a timeshare property. Most of it , and most of the buildings ARE a resort. It's not like the Marriott on Kaanapali that has converted to total timeshares. The Kalapaki Bay location is actually called "MARRIOTT KAUAI RESORT and BEACH CLUB". This is to clarify that it is both. However the resort was built AS a resort and the timeshare portion was a modification that Marriott made when they bought the property.

In fact...... the Marriott Kauai Resort and Beach Club was originally a Westin property designed by Chris Hemmeter and had as much of an ornate resort feel as any you could find in all of Hawaii. (think gondolas, swans, highly ornate statuary). It was sooo ornate in fact that when Marriott purchased it they toned it down to give it a more Hawaii feel. The "Beach Club" came later when Marriott took one of the buildings and converted the rooms into timeshares. This was the same as was done with the Kaanapali Marriott where they converted 2 hotel rooms into 1 timeshare unit. Same deal.

In the end, the Marriott Kauai Resort and Beach Club has every bit of the resort feel with all of the amenities also, as any on Maui or Oahu (if that is what you mean you're looking for). This in contrast to the Waiohai location which was built as timeshares and is pretty much 100% timeshares.

So if you're looking for a timeshare yet in a resort environment the Marriott Kauai Resort and Beach Club is a great bet.

Edited: 15 January 2012, 23:21