We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Med Gourmet Luau or Smith's Laua??

Houston
Level Contributor
58 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Med Gourmet Luau or Smith's Laua??

I have read reviews for both and still can't decide. We will be going in June and staying 6 days up North and 6 days South. Going with a family of 5, -3 boys ages 12, 9 and 3. Which would you pick??

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
17,163 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Med Gourmet Luau or Smith's Laua??

Having raised boys who were taken to Hawaii frequently I can tell you that boys will be happier with a large showy affair with the all the glory of FIRE. The fire-twirlers, fire-eaters, etc. My sons would sit entranced watching the daring displays of FIRE.

I don't know abut the Mediterranean Gourmet luau but I know the Smith's luau has a good show that will at many times keep the boy's close to the edge of their seats. Being that MG is in a small indoor area I'd wonder if they have this incorporated in their show.

I think they'd also prefer being able to get up and walk around the grounds as they could at Smith's.

Edited: 18 January 2012, 17:02
Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Catalina Island
Level Contributor
14,831 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Med Gourmet Luau or Smith's Laua??

The Mediterranean Gourmet Luau does have a Fire Knife Dancer and he is quite good. If you are on the north shore, I would recommend this luau. It is a small, intimate setting and the food is excellent. Their luaus are only on Tuesday nights. If that does work into your schedule, Smith''s is also excellent but much larger. Make sure to at least have dinner one night at Mediterranean Gourmet.

http://www.kauaimedgourmet.com/MGLuau.pdf

www.kauaimedgourmet.com/entertainment.html

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,939 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Med Gourmet Luau or Smith's Laua??

Aloha from Kaua'i!

I'm coming at this from the perspective of someone who has not been to the Lu'au at Mediterranean Gourmet - but has heard a lot about it.

Totally apples and oranges to compare Smith's Family Lu'au and this small family lu'au at the restaurant.

Smith's is a lu'au production with many dancers, featuring not only Polynesian dances (Hawai'i, Tahiti, Samoa, Maori) but also some other Pacific Rim dances not usually seen - Phillipines, Japan, etc. It is held in a large garden type setting and is a local production put on by the Smith ohana for over 50 years. It has a buffet with lots of ono lu'au type food and beverages.

Mediterranean Gourmet is held in a fairly small restaurant, with a family (mother, father, daughters) providing the entertainment in an intimate setting -

I've heard good and not so good things about the food, but again, I've not gone myself.

Totally different style shows - depends on what you are looking for and personally if I was staying here on the South Side of Kaua'i - I would not drive all the way up past Hanalei to go to the one at Mediterranean Gourmet -a long, dark drive to come home - whereas Smith's is much closer (about 1/2 hour from the Po'ipu area roughly).

Just my two cents worth.

Malama Pono,

Janet

California
Level Contributor
37,615 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Med Gourmet Luau or Smith's Laua??

Quite honestly, your kids might enjoy the smallness of Med Gourmet's luau vs the big one at Smiths. You can literally be right there next to the fire dancer. Feel the heat was my expression while this part of the show was going on. They get to meet the dancers after and this includes the young daughter who plays a mean drum. I agree if you are there on a Tuesday, go with Med Gourmet's.

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Catalina Island
Level Contributor
14,831 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Med Gourmet Luau or Smith's Laua??

<<Quite honestly, your kids might enjoy the smallness of Med Gourmet's luau vs the big one at Smiths.>>

My boys are ages 10 and almost 13. They have been to a few luaus in their time. The last one we took them to was at The Mediterranean Gourmet in 2009 (so they would have been 7 and 10). They really enjoyed this luau. We were sitting very close to the entertainment and they loved the Knife Fire Dancer as well as the younger girls who danced. I also think the food was the best luau food we have tasted. They only take about 80 people and they fill up fast. I wrote a review of the luau in July 2009.

California
Level Contributor
9,705 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Med Gourmet Luau or Smith's Laua??

Another vote for Med. Gourmet. My three youngest grandkids (ages 11, 8, and 5) really enjoyed it--so much so that we've gone the last two years.

Edited: 18 January 2012, 22:52
British Columbia...
Level Contributor
337 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Med Gourmet Luau or Smith's Laua??

My family of 5 & I have been to both Luau's, and they really are kinda like apples & oranges....depends what you like. What Janet said about Smith's being more production I agree with - great show, just different than Med Gourmet's smaller, more intimate, family type Luau. I definitely didn't feel like I was being 'herded' in anywhere at MG.

The food was ok to good at Smith's & MG's food was excellent!! - guaranteed your eyes will be bigger than your stomache here lol their coconut cake is to die for! That being said, you don't usually go to a Luau expecting phenomenal food - you go for the show! They did have a fire dancer at MG as well, even though it was indoor. Being smaller the kids loved being able to go up on stage at the end too.

I also agree with all the posters who mentioned it also depends where you are staying, as to which Luau to go to. If I was staying in the south, I would go to Smiths, I wouldn't drive all the way up north from there. Personally, I would plan to be up north around Med Gourmet's Tuesday night Luau if I was only going to one. If you can't, MG's regular menu is equally as excellent (expensive, but good!), and they have belly dancers there on Thursday's. We've been there with & without kids - great restaurant either way! Enjoy whichever one you think is best for you! :))

Upland, CA
Level Contributor
231 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Med Gourmet Luau or Smith's Laua??

On the same subject but slightly different question;

We will be heading to Hawaii this coming Christmas and new years, with 4 days on Oahu and 9 days on Kauai. We want to take our 4-year old to his first Luau and are wondering if there’s a comparison to the Luau at Paradise Cove on Oahu vs. the Smith’s Luau on Kauai. Anyone have experience with both Luau’s that can suggest which would be better to take my son to? The last Luau I went to was the Poipu Grand Hyatt “cattle call” which I thoroughly disliked.

California
Level Contributor
9,705 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Med Gourmet Luau or Smith's Laua??

I haven't been to the luau on Oahu, but I have been to Smith's and Med. Gourmet, and I think your 4-year old would have a much better experience at Med. Gourmet where he'd be up close to the entertainers and could get out of his chair and walk around a little if he needed. All my grandkids loved the luau at Med. Gourmet. The youngest went two years ago when she was three and couldn't wait to go again last year.

Upland, CA
Level Contributor
231 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Med Gourmet Luau or Smith's Laua??

Were staying in Poipu so I kinda have to rule the Med Gourmet out, at least until my son gets a little older and can stay up later.