We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kapaa in June?

Claremont...
Level Contributor
11 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Kapaa in June?

First time visit to Kauai...thinking about staying in Kapaa in June because of ease of visiting the whole island, and I can get a GREAT deal.

Love outdoor activites, SNORKELING, and great, moderately priced local restaurants. Being able to walk to restaurants, etc is a huge plus...

Is the weather gonna be OK in June at that location? will I like it there?

California
Level Contributor
36,134 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kapaa in June?

Weather should be lovely! Will you like it? I don't love it in Kapaa but if your reasons are to be central then you will like it. Where are you getting this "great" deal? Sometimes good deals don't translate to good places to stay.

You will be doing your snorkeling on the North Shore. The ocean in Kapaa is not a snorkeling spot. Its lovely for beach walking but not swimming etc. You will find a lot of moderately priced restaurants. If you want to go to one nice place go to Hukilau Lanai.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
5,801 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kapaa in June?

The weather island wide is usually nice in June. There's always a chance of a Kona storm socking us for a few days even in summer.

Kapaa is a fine place to stay. Depends on what you're looking for. The beaches are not as protected so you need to be more careful than say the South Side in winter or the North side in summer (on average), but access is much easier than Princeville where you are stuck on a bluff with steep beach access or having to drive. It's older typically which is why you sometimes get cheaper prices than Poipu. Most would rate Kapaa #3 of the 3 main tourist areas (including me) but it's not like it's an enormous step down.

Virtually every area on Kauai has some drawback if you get right down to it.

There are threads in the FAQ that address these pros/cons so you can decide for yourself.

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
23,518 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kapaa in June?

We always stayed in Kapa`a when we used to visit. It's a good base from which to explore the island, and there are plenty of convenient restaurants.

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
16,639 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Kapaa in June?

Weather there will be fine in June.

As far as being able to walk to restaurants, etc., it all depends on where you're staying. If you're right in the center of the action in Kapaa/Waipouli you'll be fine. There are a number of complexes on the east shore that require a hop in the car to get to just about anything.

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Tucson
Level Contributor
3,288 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kapaa in June?

I know some people like to stay on the east side because it is convenient to go either north or south, but to me all it does is guarantee you'll be driving pretty far every day. In June, ocean conditions are likely to be the best on the north shore. If you find a place in Hanalei, you could still be able to walk to restaurants, but it will probably be more expensive than staying east.

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,506 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Kapaa in June?

first of all, Kapa'a beaches are not good for snorkeling, with the exception of Lydgate's man made rock lagoons.....which the reports of late were not so good in visibilty. They may have done such a good job enclosing it, that the ocean water does not filter in and out.

Mile marker number one....really more central island for other shores, would be the Lihue Marriot at Kalapaki Beach. No snorkeling, but you can play in the ocean, do a little body surfing, or take surfing or stand up paddle boarding lessons. The pool is magnificent, with 5 jacuzzi. The property is really nice, and you have a load of easily walkable restaurants, including several on property. the beach is green grass, and sand, and palm trees and other shade trees.

Snorkeling in june is generally good on the north, and the south shore.

East shore is open to the seas, and not so good for water sports, Pretty confused seas, and a good chance of being fairly uncomfortable conditions.

You might check out the web site for the Lihue Marriot at Kalapaki Beach, and make your own comparison with places in Kapa'a. Then make your own decision as to what you feel is best for your needs.

But just understand that kalapaki beach marriot is actually centrally located for the island, not Kapa'a , if that is one of your main criteria.

Whatever your decide, it will be great. Enjoy your visit.

Denny

Edited: 27 January 2012, 13:54
Pittsburgh, PA
Level Contributor
1,315 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Kapaa in June?

I stayed last year in Kapaa in February and am going back to this year again in June. I would prefer the north or south shore, but my vacation club puts me in Kapaa, so I take what I can get. We do a bit more driving because of staying in Kapaa, but I'd rather be driving around in Hawaii than in Pittsburgh! It is central, so your drives to the north shore and south shore will be about the same. As others have said, the snorkeling and swimming aren't very good on the east, so you will want to get out and about! There are some good restaurants in the area, but you will still want to drive to different parts of the island for other dinners. Fortunately, Kauai is not a huge island like The Big Island, so drive times are pretty reasonable to get to where ever you want to go.

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
16,639 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Kapaa in June?

Denny is right. Lihue, not Kapaa, is central to both the far north and far west (the canyon).

California
Level Contributor
1,939 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Kapaa in June?

Weather should be great. I prefer to stay Poipu or North shore, the island is not that big and I don't mind the driving.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
5,801 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Kapaa in June?

A nerd loves data like a duck loves water

(all data ex yahoo maps. Kapaa defined as by the ABC Store).

Kapaa-->Waimea 32 miles -- 52 minutes

Kapaa--Haena 29 miles 54 minutes

total 61 miles 106 min

Nawiliwili -- Waimea 24 miles 41 min

Nawiliwili --> Haena 38 miles 71 minutes

total 62 miles 112 minutes.

I think we're straining at gnats as to which is more central but kapaa seems to be the mid point of the arc.