We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Waimea Canyon Lookout - at Sunrise

Burr Ridge, Illinois
Level Contributor
3,900 posts
Save Topic
Waimea Canyon Lookout - at Sunrise

I'm posting this minutes after experiencing a dramatic sunrise from the Waimea Canyon Lookout. I pulled my friends out of bed in the middle of the night and we drove to the lookout for sunrise.

There are many spectacular places in Hawaii where you can enjoy sunrise and this is one of them.

I have been pleasantly surprised to be the only people up here for a peaceful, spiritual sunrise experience this morning.

If you visit Kauai I highly suggest making this trek and watching the colors of the canyon come alive with the sun. The reds, greens, and blues are dramatically awaken with the morning blasts of sun rays.

I know many suggest this place, but I wanted to encourage travelers to grab the sunrise experience if possible.

Bring a sweater or jacket to stay warm. Bring coffee or hit chocolate. Then, relax and let the magic unfold visually. Your other senses, especially sound, will be enhanced as well.

Kauai is a travelers dream.

Just had to share in hopes that others consider this breathtaking way to start the morning.

California
Level Contributor
9,637 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Waimea Canyon Lookout - at Sunrise

Thanks for sharing! Sounds wonderful!

La Mirada...
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
15,998 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Waimea Canyon Lookout - at Sunrise

We've never made it up the canyon for sunrise, but it sure sounds gorgeous. I always recommend trying to see a sunrise OVER the ocean, especially for us West Coast folk - it is such a treat.

3Chihuahuas

Princeville, Hawaii
Level Contributor
7,079 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Waimea Canyon Lookout - at Sunrise

You lucked out weather wise as we got showers here on the North shore. Sounds like it was a wonderful experience.

Harrisburg...
Level Contributor
66 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Waimea Canyon Lookout - at Sunrise

what time would you recommend being at the lookout by? I wanted to do sunset but heard there are better odds of good weather in the morning.

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Waimea Canyon Lookout - at Sunrise

We are staying at Pointe at Poipu again. One of few places I know where you can get a sunrise and sunset. Will agree though last year we stayed at Kauai Beach Resort, and enjoyed the sunrises, even if you don't catch the very first minutes.

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,506 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Waimea Canyon Lookout - at Sunrise

Good scoops......we also have not been up at the look out for sunrise, but can imagine the beauty.

When we used to go out on Thanksgiving to our calif. desert area and stay at Borrego Springs....Erica would drag me out before sunrise, and actually see the mountains come alive with brilliant red colors.

Waimea canyon would be spectacular.

Mahalo nui loa

Denny

Bloomington...
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Waimea Canyon Lookout - at Sunrise

Could not agree more. I have been blessed with the opportunity to see many beautiful places in my few years on this Earth, and a Waimea Canyon sunIrise is by far my favorite. You have to see it, pictures can not do it justice. It is amazing how fast the island changes. Gray turns to blue turns to green.

If I recall correctly I allowed 2hrs to get to the top from Kapaa, but honestly I don't recall. I know it took a a little looking to find a cup of joe at 0dark30

It will be cool so wear some pants and grab a sweatshirt. Bring your camera and enjoy!!

Tulare, California
Level Contributor
379 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Waimea Canyon Lookout - at Sunrise

My wife and I will never forget last summer when we first arrived on Kauai for the first time. The next morning we were both up at 4 AM (7 AM for West Coast) and watched our first sunrise. Absolutely amazing.

Phoenix
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Waimea Canyon Lookout - at Sunrise

Great idea! I had planned a drive to Waimea canyon in the AM on our first day in Kauai (next week - YAY!) But I'm going to definitely drag hubby out of bed at 0'dark-thirty to be there for sunrise now! Thanks!

Taylors Falls...
Level Contributor
764 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Waimea Canyon Lookout - at Sunrise

Epicurian. You are a brave soul and one of few visitors. I am in awe and bowing. Very impressive and if I visited Kauai 50 times, I can't say for sure if I would meet your feat. Pictures?