We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kauai Hiking

Blairstown, New...
7 posts
Save Topic
Kauai Hiking

Any one know of any good websites or books for hiking trail maps for Kauai? Any hiking trail suggestions? We are in our early 30's and are casual hikers looking for some moderate trails. We plan on hiking along the north shore, at Waimea Canyon, and Kokee State Park. We will be visiting Kauai in July 2012.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
5,801 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kauai Hiking

try the threads under "top questions about Kauai" -- "Hiking Advice" and "hiking on Kauai".

There are lots of older threads there describing various hikes, degree of difficulty etc. Or just stick "hiking" in the search box and you'll get a flood of info.

Joseph, Oregon
Level Contributor
450 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kauai Hiking

I like "Kaua'i Trailblazer" by Jerry and Janine Sprout.

Wailua
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
1,773 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Kauai Hiking

Lots of possibilities, as dave820 says, look in the recent archives. Kaua'i Trailblazer is a good book that covers all the hikes, as well as the various activities (snorkeling, surfing, beachcombing) that are possible at each beach. The only book with topo maps of the trails is Kathy Morey's "Kauai'i Trails," but it only covers the trails.

A good map that shows you all the roads, and locations of the trails is the Kaua'i Island Atlas and Maps by Rob Siemers: amazon.com/Kauai-Island-Atlas-Robert-Siemers…

It is not detailed enough to show the terrain for each trail, but it does have tons of other information. If you can't get it on Amazon, it is available on Kaua'i at places like Papaya's Natural food store and gift shops at the Kaua'i museum in Lihue and NTBG gift shop in Poipu.

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Catalina Island
Level Contributor
14,337 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kauai Hiking

You can also find a lot on the internet. I just found this map of Kokee (I've bought this guide at the lodge in the past) of the trails up there.

hawaii-guide.com/files/eMaps/kauai_kokee_and…

Redwood City CA
7 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Kauai Hiking

There are a handful of decent printed maps around for Kauai hiking. The best general purpose trail map of the island is probably the Department Of Land & Natural Resources "Recreation Map of Kauai". If you're going on any serious hikes I'd also pick up some USGS topos.

If you're interested in something digital I produce the "Kokee Recreation Map", which actually covers all of Kauai's northwest section and includes Waimea Canyon, Kokee, Alakai Swamp, the Na Pali coast and Kalalau Trail. The map works on the iPhone or iPad utilizing the device GPS to show your location on the map. It's sort of a hybrid between detailed printed map and handheld GPS. You can see a few screen shots and get more info on the map at the link below.

http://www.sonic.net/~dmed/MedeCart/KokeeGeoPDF.html

For trail recommendations its hard to beat the Koke'e trail complex but its a slog to get up there so you may only have a day to explore. The Alakai Swamp is amazing and one of Hawaii's last truly "natural" areas. The Waipoo trail is more subdued but rewards you with an amazing view of the canyon from the top of a water fall. The trail to Hanakapiai is also worth the long drive. Good luck, have fun and be safe!

Edited: 07 February 2012, 15:42
California
Level Contributor
35,583 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Kauai Hiking

This thread with Kauaihikers advice is excellent.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g29218-i304-k37291…

7. Re: Kauai Hiking

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 May 2013, 10:20