We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How is the beach at Sheraton Kauai?

maryland
Level Contributor
384 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
How is the beach at Sheraton Kauai?

Hi Everyone,

I'm planning a trip to Kauai in August and was thinking of staying at the Sheraton Kauai. I'm a SPG member and I have enough points to spend 5 nights here. My hope is to see the Napali Coast and Waiema Canyon during my stay.

I'm traveling with my two boys, ages 9 and 5, and my husband.

Is the beach swimmable here? I would like to stay at a resort where kids could enjoy and tours could be arranged for the above destinations.

I know some people only like the north shore but is it really worth spending all that money when I can stay for free.

Another thing, I will be coming from Big Island after spending 8 nights there.

Thanks,

SAQ

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,864 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How is the beach at Sheraton Kauai?

Aloha from Kaua'i!

The beach that fronts the Sheraton Kaua'i is one of the best sections of Po'ipu Beach - this long beach starts at Po'ipu Beach Park and extends all the way to the Sheraton.

It is usually swimmable year-round... altho' you should always check daily ocean conditions anywhere here before venturing into the ocean - they can change quickly.

The concierge at the Sheraton can arrange any tours you would like - however Waimea Canyon is very easily drivable by visitors - the winding road would be miserable (to me at least) in one of the buses or even large vans that chug up the road - no need to book a "tour" of it.

As far as either helicopter or boat tours - again, the concierge there can arrange those for you if you wish.

The Sheraton is a lovely property with one of the best beaches on the island right in front of it!

Malama Pono,

Janet

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
16,340 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: How is the beach at Sheraton Kauai?

The beach at the Sheraton is wonderful. Your boys would enjoy it. Surfing lessons can be arranged right there onsite also. Because of the direction of the offshore currents the surf coming in tends to lessen as you walk further down the beach away from the Sheraton. It's at it's calmest at the far east end of it but it tends to get rockier there also. You'll have other beaches in walking distance too. Keep walking past the end of the Sheraton beach and you'll come to a nice section of Poipu Beach that is right in front of the Marriott. Continue on another 5 minutes and you're at Poipu Beach Park with great snorkeling. Another 5 minutes walk across the grass from there will take you to Brennecke's Beach, a great boogie boarding beach the boys might enjoy. Lots to pick from right in walking distance! There's a beach for every need there.

California
Level Contributor
35,561 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How is the beach at Sheraton Kauai?

I am surprised that so many people can even use Starwood points in August at one of the more popular hotels on Kauai. If you can get it, go for it. During the summer the surf and ocean are a bit rougher on the South Shore so do stay near a lifeguard station. You will read about many people being swept away by the currents in this location but most of the time its nice.

PS The Westin in Princeville is in the Starwood Family so don't discount staying North. Your 5 year old would especially like their pool.

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
16,340 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: How is the beach at Sheraton Kauai?

Take a look at the photos in this link to check out the beaches in front of the Sheraton and the Marriott which is just down at the opposite end.

Also, look at the beach pictures of Kiahuna Plantatin because Kiahuna is right next to the Sheraton and shares the same beach. Those photos will also give you a good idea of the Sheraton beach conditions.

oyster.com/kauai/…

California
Level Contributor
9,308 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How is the beach at Sheraton Kauai?

As others have said, the Sheraton is in a great location on one of the best beaches in Kauai. When we re-discovered Kauai we stayed at the Sheraton with our grandson. That was nine years ago, and we've returned to Kauai every year since. Now we stay at Kiahuna Plantation right next door because we prefer a condo, but we enjoy walking over to the Sheraton for a drink and/or dinner.

Have fun!

Taylors Falls...
Level Contributor
764 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How is the beach at Sheraton Kauai?

There are quieter beaches in Kauai, but the Sheraton Beach is so heavenly. It has something for everyone. Quiet places out of the waves, snorkeling, boogie boarding, surfing etc. We liked just watching all the activity, while we did find more remote beaches elsewhere to quench escaping. But this beach had one of the best vibes going. I personally liked the snorkeling at this beach about the best. But that was in October.

Edited: 17 February 2012, 00:59
pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
23,226 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How is the beach at Sheraton Kauai?

Are you planning to rent a car? It's highly recommended, as there are few other options for seeing much of the island. If so, reserve something as soon as you can. August is high season, and there can be a shortage of cars here. Try www.discounthawaiicarrental.com

maryland
Level Contributor
384 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How is the beach at Sheraton Kauai?

Thank you everyone for your responses, greatly appreciated. Yes, I'm planning on renting a car. Are there any other tours or suggestions for Kauai or Must Do's. How is the weather in August? And is the beach swimmable in Poipu at that time of the year?

San Diego...
Level Contributor
4,027 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How is the beach at Sheraton Kauai?

Jebett -

You can use star wood points year round. I've yet to be declined anywhere. Sometimes Cash+points can't be used but I've never had an issue with using strictly points. It's one of the reasons I'm very loyal to the brand because I don't have to jump through hoops to use points.

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
24,980 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How is the beach at Sheraton Kauai?

I still wouldn't pass up the north shore in summer. Aren't both the St. Regis and Westin Starwood hotels? Also don't summer swells impact Poipu negatively? I'll defer to the Kauai experts on that point, I've only ever stayed there in winter.

Edited: 17 February 2012, 06:42