We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

which side of plane?

Viola, Arkansas
Level Contributor
100 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
which side of plane?

This may sound like a dumb question but which side of the plane should we try to sit on if flying in from LAX? Does it make much of a differnce on what you can see coming into the island?

Trabuco Canyon...
Level Contributor
944 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: which side of plane?

Yes and its the Left side you will see the Islands from I would recommend you sit on the left side of the plane.

Edited: 17 February 2012, 17:12
Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Tucson
Level Contributor
3,511 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: which side of plane?

Although the winds can certainly change and alter the direction the plane lands, we have always sat on the left side and have been able to see Oahu and even see Pearl Harbor right before we land.

Mentioned in this post
Oahu
Oahu
Hawaii
Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
3,943 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: which side of plane?

Left for landing in the daylight...otherwise - who cares! I was sooooo glad I was on the left side when we arrived back from Kona a couple of weeks ago. I needed that immediate green fix!

Mentioned in this post
Kailua-Kona
Kailua-Kona
Island of Hawaii, HI
California
Level Contributor
39,753 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: which side of plane?

Look at a schematic of the plane and you will see everyone chooses the left side for a reason.

Viola, Arkansas
Level Contributor
100 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: which side of plane?

thanks everyone I thought I had heard it from somewhere before it was the left but forgot to check before buying tickets just by chance we did get the left side, thanks again can't hardly wait for June, but i guess I'll have too!!!!!!!!!!

Imlay City, Michigan
Level Contributor
106 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: which side of plane?

Glad to see someone other than myself thinks about stuff like this. We pick the left side and it has never disappointed. We are sitting on the left side next month and hope to have great views as well.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
5,801 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: which side of plane?

Don't sweat it too much if the left is gone. It's not like you can see a lot. Just go peek out the small window at the door. about the last half hour and you can glimpse Maui and Oahu a bit.

On landing in Kauai (assuming trade wind weather, you see some of the island out the right hand window before they loop back to land IIRC. I almost always get an aisle so my memory is not to be trusted 100%.

Mentioned in this post
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Oahu
Oahu
Hawaii
Kauai
Kauai
Hawaii
Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
18,133 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: which side of plane?

Don't feel strange. This question has been asked many times.

California
Level Contributor
39,753 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: which side of plane?

For folks who have never been to the islands it is pretty exciting to see the islands for the first time. I still like seeing Diamond Head when I have to fly into Oahu.

I now pick the right side so others get that same thrill I felt 30+ years ago when I first saw Kauai.

Mentioned in this post
Oahu
Oahu
Hawaii
Kauai
Kauai
Hawaii
Trabuco Canyon...
Level Contributor
944 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: which side of plane?

First time I flew in Maui, On my Honeymoon there was cloud cover from Los Angeles to Maui it seemed, when we broke thru the clouds on approach can you say OMG how beautiful it was I will never forget that.

Mentioned in this post
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
California