We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Good FOOD, Oceanfront?

St. Louis
Level Contributor
55 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Good FOOD, Oceanfront?

We will be staying at the Marriott Resort & BC. in Lihue. We are trying to locate an outdoor, oceanfront restaraunt near by with great food. We're considering Duke's? We like all types of food. There will be 16 in our party. TY

Kauai / Los Angeles
Level Contributor
2,004 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Good FOOD, Oceanfront?

Dukes is OK, especially for cocktails & night life atmosphere, but some think it's a bit overrated (hey, you can buy t-shirts there...). Most of our renters say the Beach House in Poipu was their best meal, especially at sunset. Make sure to get reservations early.

BC Canada
Level Contributor
511 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Good FOOD, Oceanfront?

I also recommend the Beachhouse--excellent food and a beautiful sunset every night. Everyone rushes out of the restaurant to take pictures when the sun goes down. Make reservations several days in advance and arrive early.

Have fun.

Minnesota
Level Contributor
118 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Good FOOD, Oceanfront?

I agree The Beachhouse restaurant is very good. The food is excellent. Make sure you are going to be there during sunset though! If not, it's maybe not worth the cost.

Los Altos...
Level Contributor
728 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Good FOOD, Oceanfront?

Duke's is a fun atmosphere with decent (but not excellent) food. Definitely have the hula pie, the signature dish of T&S restaurants. For another T&S restaurant on Kauai, Leilani's in Poipu actually has a nicer location. The best restaurant near Lihue is Gaylord's, but it's not oceanfront.

For the best setting on Kauai, I'd drive up north (you should do it anyways for sightseeing purposes) and eat at Princeville Hotel at La Cascata or Cafe Hanalei. Seated outside, there's a sprawling view overlooking Hanalei Bay (Bali Hai in the movies). The Beach House down in Poipu is your best oceanfront option in that area.

For the best food on Kauai, though, my personal favorites are A Pacific Cafe in Kapaa and Roy's in Poipu (but I love all Roy's restaurants).

Los Altos...
Level Contributor
728 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Good FOOD, Oceanfront?

Sorry, I'm losing my mind. I meant Keoki's Paradise in Poipu, not Leilani's. I'm on the wrong island, suddenly. Although I suppose you could fly to Leilani's on Maui, it's also a T&S restaurant.

Denver
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Good FOOD, Oceanfront?

It's not ocean front but the best food on Kauai is Kintaros. You will need reservations but they have a room that sits Japanese style that will accomodate all of you. If smaller group of two to six eat at the cooking tables and order whatever the fresh fish of the day is. They put a sauce on it that defies description. There filet (cut it with a fork) and lobster are also the best that I have ever eaten. The sushi is also fresh and great. Dukes is OK and you will probably eat there alot because of where you are staying. I like it better for afternoon drinks.

The Hanamaulu Tea House can also accomodate youor group. Japanese style and should be one of your stops either way.

Their is another restraunt next to Dukes across the small bridge that is pretty good and has a good ocean view. Also a good ocean view at Brennkeckes in Piopu

Pacific Cafe is over rated and expensive as is the Bull Shed in my opinion.

Breakfast at the Marriott is very good but you should also eat at Ono's in Kapaa Town.

A great local eating experience can be found at a small Simen Noodle restraunt off of Rice Street in Lihue. Ask around for directions. It is open very late and very inexpensice and soooo good.

Lot's more but I better stop now. Good Luck!

Los Altos...
Level Contributor
728 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Good FOOD, Oceanfront?

Yeah, Kintaro's is good, although it would be just another Japanese place if it were in CA. I disagree, A Pacific Cafe is NOT overrated, it's quite good. But don't listen to me, check out reviews on other sites, almost all reviews are very positive.

Columbus, OH
Level Contributor
116 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Good FOOD, Oceanfront?

We enjoy the beach house, but it's not our favorite. Our favorite ocean view is probably Bali Hai up in princeville, but that's a bit of a drive. It overlooks hanalei bay and is absolutely georgeous especially at sunset. It is easily the best dining view on the island. The food has gotten mixed reviews, especially in some of the guides, but we found it excellent. Service was also perfect, they did a fabulous job of catching when we needed something without being obtrusive enough to ruin the atmosphere. While the beach house had more excitement and activity, Bali Hai was much better for a laid back unhurried dining experience.

Both are good, so of course I'd recommend doing both :)

We did not enjoy Gaylord's at all, the service was terrible and the food was mediocre for the price. Another one we enjoyed was the restaraunt at the Kauai Coast Resort over by the Coconut Marketplace. The food was surprisingly good and the service was great, though no ocean view.