We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hiking Sandals (Tevas or Chacos)

7 posts
Save Topic
Hiking Sandals (Tevas or Chacos)

Hi! My husband and I are planning our honeymoon for May (we got married in October) and we would like to do a little hiking in Kauai. I think the most adventurous hike we might attempt would be the 4 miles up to Hanakapi'ai Falls.

I really like the idea of hiking sandals (especially since on that particular hike you have to cross creeks and walk through mud and it seems hiking sandals would be easy to rinse the red clay off of - also, I like the idea of a go anywhere on Kauai shoe) and I've seen a lot of people on here post that they hike in Tevas or Chacos but most people don't say which particular model they wear.

These are the Teva shoes that are listed as "Women's Hiking Sandals" on the Teva website:

www.teva.com/productslist.aspx…

I must admit, I'm the most drawn to the one that looks the least substantial and the least like a hiking sandal, the Zirra (can't help it, I'm a girl). I think it's a newer model because I can't find any reviews of it anywhere. I did find some reviews of the Teva Tirra (which would be my second choice) by people who wore it hiking and said that it performed well.

Of the Tirra, one person said: "These sandals exceeded my expectations. Planned to go to the beach, but ended up hiking up Diamondhead on Oahu with a steep, muddy trail & spiral staircase. These Tevas were awesome, providing sure footing."

buzzillions.com/reviews/women-teva-tirra-rev…

I've also read that hikers have seen people on the trail doing that hike in flip flops (which I'm not going to attempt) but it makes me think I might be okay in the Zirra or at least the Tirra. So - from the hikers who wear sandals do you think I would be okay in either of these? I don't hike a lot (and when we do it's usually in the Los Angeles canyons) but I would defintely try whatever shoes I get out a few times here before our trip to break them in and make sure they work for me.

If not either of these, what Teva would you choose (I don't want the sandals that look like open running shoes - I want sandal sandals even if it's the more rugged looking ones)?

From Chaco lovers which Chacos are good for hiking or which do you use? The Chaco site doesn't seem to give any help in suggesting which shoes are better for what activity or the differences between the sandals. They seem to be differentiated by their different soles but I couldn't find an explanation of what soles are good for what.

Thanks!

LA
Level Contributor
9,326 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Hiking Sandals (Tevas or Chacos)

I prefer Keens.

Joseph, Oregon
Level Contributor
450 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hiking Sandals (Tevas or Chacos)

I also have Keens and suggest if you are using them for significant hiking you get a model with a covered toe area for extra protection from stubbing your toes on rocks, roots, etc.

Schaumburg, IL
Level Contributor
792 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hiking Sandals (Tevas or Chacos)

I'll third the recommendation for closed toe- Keens for hiking sandals. The Tevas that you linked are really cute and I would wear those for general sight-seeing, but not for hiking miles.

Joseph, Oregon
Level Contributor
450 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hiking Sandals (Tevas or Chacos)

Don't remember the exact name of mine, but they are very similar to the Keen Whisper. I have hiked in them in a wide variety of conditions and they have been great.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
3,469 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hiking Sandals (Tevas or Chacos)

We saw folks on the NaPali hike in everything from the TOE socks to full blown hiking boots and gym shoes. I cannot for the life of me figure out how people in hike in flip flops and gym shoes .... but I agree if you are going to invest in a "do all" shoe I agree that the Keens with coevered toe area is the best option. My Keens are bright orange and red and I bought them on line. I love them.....

7 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Hiking Sandals (Tevas or Chacos)

Thanks for the replies!

So something like the Keen's Willow or the Turia?

keenfootwear.com/us/…487

Are those comfortable to where when the get soaking wet?

Do they clean off easily (mud/clay)?

Broken Arrow...
Level Contributor
27 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hiking Sandals (Tevas or Chacos)

Another vote for closed-toe Keens. I love them! I have the Newport H2 and hiked all over the island in them. I've worn them while wading in water and in the mud. They're still comfy and they clean easily. I even got the Kauai red dirt off of them! They're availabe lots of places including online at Zappos.

Edited: 23 February 2012, 21:51
Joseph, Oregon
Level Contributor
450 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hiking Sandals (Tevas or Chacos)

Looks like any of the Keens on that page except the slides would work well. They can rub a bit if they get sand or mud between the straps and your foot, but they rinse off well when that happens.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
3,469 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hiking Sandals (Tevas or Chacos)

I will say I mostly wear little smart wool socks with my Keens as I find my feet get sweaty in the rubber insoles but I know I am an exception as I like socks. Yes they clean easily and dry fairly quickly. Mine must be the Venice H2 or some version of the H2. I also have a "dressier" pair that are more shoe and less sandal. I think they are like the Arroyo II

Edited: 23 February 2012, 21:56
Schaumburg, IL
Level Contributor
792 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hiking Sandals (Tevas or Chacos)

Mine are a few years old and aren't shown on that website, but they are similar to the wllow or the Turia. I also have some Merrell's that I wore on our trip for trail hikes and they kept getting rocks in them (they were similar to the first pair of Teva's that you showed). That's why I recommended the Keen's with the closed toe. I have quite a few pairs of these "sports sandals" that I rotate through, they do rinse off but get a funky smell after a while. You ca also throw them in the wash.