We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Polihale road conditions?

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
33 posts
40 reviews
Save Topic
Polihale road conditions?

Does anyone know if the road to Polihale is currently passable in a rental car?

Thanks!

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,902 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Polihale road conditions?

Aloha from Kaua'i!

I was out there a couple of weeks ago and it wasn't bad (for the Polihale road that is!) - but do be aware that you are on your own if you get stuck out there -rental car contracts specifically say not to go off-road and there is a sign at the beginning of the road to Polihale stating "4WD vehicles only beyond this point".

So be very cautious about what the road is like (it can change quickly depending on any rain we might be getting out there) - and if you see an area where sand has blown over the roadway - do not try to drive over it - we've pulled many a visitor car out of these "sandtraps" with our truck over the years!

Malama Pono,

Janet

Port Hope, Michigan
Level Contributor
74 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Polihale road conditions?

We drove down last Sunday 2/19 in a rental car and had no problem. You have to go slow and take it easy but we loved this beach. We were careful to stay out of the sandy areas, walked in a little way and sat and watched some surfers and whales, very nice! The views are beautiful.

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Venice, Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
9,548 posts
486 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Polihale road conditions?

Any coverage you may have purchased, or which may be on risk in connection with your rental, will be yanked if you get stuck on that road. Not a good thing. There are plenty of other, wonderful beaches on Kauai - pick one of them.

Yakima, Washington
Level Contributor
289 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Polihale road conditions?

Just drove it this morning. Had no problem and saw many rental cars on the way in and out. Can't be sure it is ok now though. Absolute down pour on the west side. I just drove on to the pavement from the Polihale Road when it started to rain. Driving through Hanapepe there was lightening and thunder, standing water on the highway, so it can't do the road to Palihale much good. I would wait to attempt until later next week. Less chance of rain by Monday. Hope the minivans and front wheel drive cars made it out.

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,902 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Polihale road conditions?

Aloha from Kaua'i!

I can bet you big money that you won't want to be driving in a rental car to Polihale tomorrow.

This deluge that we are having right now is also affecting the West Side - which means welcome back potholes and pukas that are big enough to swallow the average rental car.

"AppleGuy440" - you were lucky to get out there before the torrential rain started!

Malama Pono,

Janet

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
33 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Polihale road conditions?

Thank you all for your input. We'll be arriving mid-March, so will try to keep an eye on things closer to that date. Last time we were on the island it was closed, so I'm thankful that there's a possibility. Just glad I'm not camping there today! :-)

-already "Waterlogged"

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,902 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Polihale road conditions?

Aloha from Kaua'i!

Since the West Side is also getting hammered with this winter storm - I'd be willing to bet the road to Polihale is not going to be passable for rental cars (and maybe not 4WD or trucks either) for a good while.

It will be interesting to see if they have to close it down after all this subsides.

Malama Pono,

Janet

Poipu, Hawaii
2 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Polihale road conditions?

Has anyone been up the road to Polihale in the past few days? It has been raining on the south coast most of the past week. Getting cabin fever and want to get out!

Poipu, Hawaii
2 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Polihale road conditions?

I decided to head up the 5 mile dirt road to Polihale today. Lots of small potholes but it was easily driveable in a 2 wheel-drive car. It rained on the way out but the road was draining and didn't get too slick. Fantastic beach. Well worth the drive!

Seattle Washington
Level Contributor
812 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Polihale road conditions?

We drove to Polihale last week the day after the last storm. The road was fine...about the same as previous years. Definitely a bumpy ride in places. As stated above the beach is gorgeous but there is risk involved.