We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thurs. Feb. 23 live blog

Buford, Georgia
Level Contributor
3,601 posts
73 reviews
Save Topic
Thurs. Feb. 23 live blog

Headed to Na aina Kai, the lighthouse, and Anini. Another beautiful day!

…blogspot.com/2012/02/2012-kauai-feb-16-marc…

Brisbane
Level Contributor
7,184 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Thurs. Feb. 23 live blog

What a lovely day....beautiful photos!

Los Angeles, CA
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
4,328 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Thurs. Feb. 23 live blog

Love your blog and photos! I feel like I'm right there with you!

Pittsburgh, PA
Level Contributor
1,315 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Thurs. Feb. 23 live blog

Thanks for sharing. I'm getting some ideas of things to do when we take our mother's to Kauai in early June. Is the Mo Botanical Garden your favorite?

California
Level Contributor
37,467 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Thurs. Feb. 23 live blog

Do you find the clarity of the water better this year?

British Columbia...
Level Contributor
619 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Thurs. Feb. 23 live blog

Makes me feel like I was there again thanks for sharing .

Buford, Georgia
Level Contributor
3,601 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Thurs. Feb. 23 live blog

Pensfan---you'ld have to take your mother to St. Louis for Mo Botanical Gardens. But our memebership there lets us into Na aina Kai for the $35 tour free. I assume you're asking if I prefer the Na aina Kai gardens over the other gardens in Kauai. I haven't done the Allerton garden because of the very high price of the tour. Have done the McBryde and Limahuli and although we did enjoy both of them, I do think I liked the Na aina Kai gardens better. I guess I'm more of a structured garden person. The other 2 were a nice walk, too, just more of a park setting.

Speaking of Na aina Kai---I was hoping to get pictures of the red jade vines that Janet identified for me (of the blue variety), but they weren't in bloom at the garden. But they are definately there.

jebett---actually, I think I'm finding the water less clear this year. But it's high tide in the afternoons this year as opposed to it being low tide in the afternoon like it was last year. I find high tide always a bit murkier. Low tide this year has been too early for us to get to.

Princeville, Hawaii
Level Contributor
7,128 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Thurs. Feb. 23 live blog

Think the bird you took the photo of was a White Rumped Sharma. They are very friendly and have a nice song. Males are more rust colored and have long tails. They are imports from Malaysia but apparently aren't causing any problems. Am so enjoying reading your daily adventures.

Atlanta, GA
Level Contributor
239 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Thurs. Feb. 23 live blog

Tard=Taro :-)

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,903 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Thurs. Feb. 23 live blog

Aloha from Kaua'i!

"shantybob" beat me to it, but I'm pretty sure also that the one bird is a White Rumped Sharma - I even double checked it against this website - which is a good one for identifying common types of birds we have here in Hawai'i.

oahunaturetours.com/photogallery/birds/cat08…

Also, the area where the birds are by Kilauea Lighthouse? That is called Crater Hill and is the site of many nesting seabirds.

Malama Pono,

Janet

Edited: 24 February 2012, 21:05
Washington, Michigan
Level Contributor
132 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Thurs. Feb. 23 live blog

Been following your blog and really enjoy the pictures and reviews. Thanks for sharing!