We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need help choosing a golf course

Fairfield...
Level Contributor
39 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Need help choosing a golf course

My husband and I will be heading to Kauai for our honeymoon in May. He loves to golf and I have heard that Kauai has beautiful courses, so I'd like to book a tee time for him while we're there.

I'm looking for a course with gorgeous views and is not going to be more frustrating than fun. I've read that the Prince is one of the best but is very difficult. He has a handicap of 18ish.

Also, I do not golf, but I would go with him and spectate. I will be spending most of my time snapping photographs, so please bear that in mind when suggesting a course.

Recommendations?

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Catalina Island
Level Contributor
14,715 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need help choosing a golf course

I guess it depends on where you are staying. I love playing the Poipu Bay golf course at the Hyatt and it has amazing views. But if you are staying on the north shore, I would check out the Makai couse at the Prince. The Prince is very difficult but has some of the best views. My husband and brother-in-law have played the the Prince and my BIL has a handicap of 10 but he his favorite couse is still Poipu Bay,

California
Level Contributor
37,277 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need help choosing a golf course

The Prince course just reopened. It is indeed difficult and one of the top courses in Hawaii. If you want a course with lovely views on the North Shore that isn't as difficult theMakai Course as mentioned my Martik is beautiful. It doesn't matter where you stay. If you like a course, drive to play it.

If your hubby does play the Makai or Prince, you could always go to the St Regis for a massage or other spa treatments.

Also call the course, because they do charge for going out with the player, I believe even if you don't play.

Nara, Japan
Destination Expert
for Nara, Kamikochi
Level Contributor
8,458 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Need help choosing a golf course

Makai, that's it you'd want. You'd be amazed when you come to a par3 teeing ground on the cliff-side or on the fairway. In my experience, things Kauai has that other islands may probably be lacking in, when it comes to well-known golf courses, are the exceedingly elevated dramatic contours/teeing grounds from where you hit/take pics. That's the case with Makai at Princeville and Kiele at Lihue.

Yes, if your husband loves golfing, which I'm sure he does, you shouldn't mind it if he wanted to pencil in for Prince: a real monster when I played some years back, before the renovation. I may be wrong, but I heard pros often had a hard time staying even-par, still more going under. Where did I shoot then is a secret... not as much as a national budget though.

Enjoy your visit!

Nara, Japan
Destination Expert
for Nara, Kamikochi
Level Contributor
8,458 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Need help choosing a golf course

Sorry forgot to say this:

I may be wrong about this, but the rider fee was probably 35bucks or so if I remember correctly.

Edited: 25 February 2012, 07:22
Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
385 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need help choosing a golf course

I vote Poipu - it's gorgeous. We're playing tomorrow and can't wait. If you don't want to ride, you can go right next door to the

Hyatt Anara Spa and spoil yourself a little there.

Fairfield...
Level Contributor
39 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Need help choosing a golf course

Thanks for all of the replies. I have it narrowed to Poipu and Makai.

jebett and Shot, thanks for the heads up, but I'm aware that there will likely be a fee for riding along even if I don't play. I've gone out with him before and enjoyed the time together on the beautiful courses. I might consider a spa treatment if he wants to play more than once though.

And about the Prince course, I don't really care which course he plays; if it weren't for the reviews I've read about the difficulty of the course, it's probably the one I would've suggested he play. He doesn't want to play the Prince because of its monster status; he'd rather not spend the game searching for balls.

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Catalina Island
Level Contributor
14,715 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Need help choosing a golf course

<<he'd rather not spend the game searching for balls>>

A dear friend of mine is a scratch golfer and he said he lost more balls on The Prince than any golf course he had ever played! I've played Poipu Bay and Makai and loved them both.

Soddy Daisy...
Level Contributor
1,804 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Need help choosing a golf course

All the way to Kauai to play the #2? I don't think so. Go for the Prince and go home with a great golf story! Beautiful course. I am not a good golfer by any means, but I am glad I did it. Surprisingly I didn't lose as many balls as I expected.

Lion's Head, Canada
Level Contributor
478 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Need help choosing a golf course

Yes, do the Prince.

The hole that I went 5 off the tee on, with an elevated tee, has apparently recently been widened, so you have nothing to fear...... (?)

The Poipu Bay and Kauai Lagoons courses are very nice, and more "civilized" than The Prince, but I preferred the more rugged Prince. Unfortunately, the ruggedness showed up on the scorecard, but that's only numbers, and I was on holidays. It was a lot of fun, even if I did lose a bunch of balls.

Looking at it from the positive point of view, I found a lot more than I lost!

Indianapolis, IN
Level Contributor
50 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Need help choosing a golf course

I've heard that the Prince widened some of it's fairways, but it was still being renovated when I played there. Was really disappointed that it wasn't available to play. That being said, I played both Makai and Poipu, and Makai to me was easily the better course. 5 or 6 very picturesque holes, in beautiful condition. Poipu was nice too, but I preferred Makai.