We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

General Food Prices

Albany, NY
Level Contributor
11 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
General Food Prices

An earlier post about how much to budget per day for food leads to this question-can anyone give some general info on how much basic food supplies will cost. I.e. how much is a loaf of bread, gallon of milk, a dozen eggs. We have been to Maui so know to expect higher $- is Kauai about the same? We will be staying in a condo and are looking forward to cooking some of our own meals. Any other tips on where/ when to stock up on fresh food? We hope to visit a farmers market or two- which one would you suggest over another? We will be staying on the east side but plan to travel everywhere. Thanks!

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
572 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: General Food Prices

Yes, prices are comparative to Maui. Use Costco if you can. Also, check out the online Big Save weekly sale ad. It will give you an idea of what to expect.

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Catalina Island
Level Contributor
14,499 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: General Food Prices

There is a Safeway on the east side. Also known as Von's in southern California. I found the prices to be comparable to our local Von's, maybe a little higher. Also, get a Safeway club card and you can save even more (it's free). You can also do things like buy 6 bottles of wine or spirits and save an additional 10%. I've also heard that the Costco in Lilhue has similar prices as the Costcos in So. Cal.

Taylors Falls...
Level Contributor
764 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: General Food Prices

Costco prices were pretty close to those in MN. The other shops we generally paid 33% more, and happily. Farmers market kept us satisfied budget and taste-wise. We used the grill at our townhome for about half of our evening meals. The fancy, nice, well reveiwed restaurants can be the budget breakers. Otherwise we weren't too concerned with grocery prices.

La Mirada...
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
15,654 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: General Food Prices

Foodland (Waipouli) has an on-line ad. Make sure you ask for their Maika`i card, it's free and gives you some good savings. They carry a lot of Hawaii specific items, I LOVE just walking up & down the aisles. Great deli too.

www.foodland.com/stores/foodland-waipouli

Kojima Store has a meat counter and carries Kauai grass fed beef at very reasonable prices - their ad is in the newspaper:

advault.kauaiworld.com/ROP/ads.aspx…

There's a link to the Farmers Markets under Top Questions, upper right.

3Chihuahuas

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,874 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: General Food Prices

Aloha from Kaua'i!

If you are going to be doing a fair amount of cooking at your condo - I'd definitely suggest going to one of our farmer's markets - there is one every day of the week here in various locations (just do a seach here on the forum for "farmers markets") - that way you can get fresh from the garden produce and fruits, flowers, etc. and pay MUCH less than anything you buy in the stores here.

For anything else - as far as low prices, yes, Costco really can't be beat in terms of that. I think last time my hubby (who works there) mentioned it, about 90% of the island currently are members, so it is very popular here as you can imagine.

But don't overlook the smaller "Mom and Pop" stores - you will pay higher prices than Costco - but you will also find local goodies that you won't find anywhere else - for instance Sueoka Store has a little deli section inside with fresh edamane, make sushi, cone sushi, char siu, chow fun, and other local favorites that they make in-house.

I'm not a fan of Safeway, but it is as close to a mainland supermarket as you are going to find here for sure.

Malama Pono,

Janet

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
16,708 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: General Food Prices

Agree with Martik. I find the Safeway there not much higher than my local Safeway and using my Safeway card just helps even more.

Reality is that a store like Safeway fits the needs of visitors especially if you're travelling with a family and need to load up on those staples - drinks, paper goods, cereals, the list goes on and on. Safeway and Costco are the only places I shop for those items at least. Safeway meets my needs for everything else and at the best prices. I'll stop there on my way back from the north shore.

Albany, NY
Level Contributor
11 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: General Food Prices

Thanks for the info. We are not members of Costco. We will likely be visiting Safeway, Farmer's Markets, etc. The ad for the Kojima Store is helpful and we plan check it out. We would be happy to support the "local" economy! Thanks again!

Denver
Destination Expert
for Poipu
Level Contributor
3,355 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: General Food Prices

Times Markets also has an online ad - http://timessupermarkets.com/default.asp

BC
Level Contributor
154 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: General Food Prices

When we stayed for 12 days we spent about $375 for the 3 of us. We ate mostly at the condo and eat:

basic breakfast (toast, eggs and fruit)

lunches are sandwiches, pasta salads, salads

dinners: steaks, chicken, ribs veggies and salads

I brought a lot of spices with me and next time I will pack my own pasta.

Denver
Destination Expert
for Poipu
Level Contributor
3,355 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: General Food Prices

Oh, and pick up fresh fish at one of the markets, too - I can't recall the one in Lihue but Koloa Fish Market excellent; Kileaua Market also had a good selection.