We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

If it's Brown, stay in Town

San Diego...
Level Contributor
5,801 posts
48 reviews
Save Topic
If it's Brown, stay in Town

Kauai is under a brown water advisory

thegardenisland.com/news/local/rains-lead-to…

"The Hawai‘i Department of Health issued a brown water advisory for the entire island of Kaua‘i Monday.

“The public is advised to stay out of flood waters and storm water runoff due to possible overflowing cesspools, sewer manholes, pesticides, animal fecal matter, dead animals, pathogens, chemicals and associated flood debris,” the state Health Department website stated.

The Health Department also warned the public to stay out of waters near the Hanapepe River mouth and the canoe launch area about 50 yards upstream because of the sewage spill. State and county officials were monitoring the area."

The weather has really turned around and the ocean is diluting the problem quickly, but if the water is brown, best to go somewhere else and not chance staph or worse.

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,506 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: If it's Brown, stay in Town

Thanks Dave....

We still have a viusal on the brown water that is run off and probably some of those nasty things in the news article. It has been brown water here for several days. Even before the big storm. It was raining up in the mountains but not in Lihue.

One problem , is that many of the resorts do not bother to let the guests know the dangers and the types of polutants that they might encounter. Good on ya, for posting the information. Folks, you can become extremely ill. The fun light is snuffed out.

plus we have more gray clouds, and it feels like rain. ust remember that it can be raining in the mountains, and not on the coast. Same situation can occur.

And since your brown water warning is well in hand....

one of the posters from canada wound up very sick with an gastro infection. At the same time her DH was also in Wilcox.

He bought a boogie bord and tried to out jump a wave that was rollling in.

Very dangerous, so perhaps his very serious experience might be a lesson for others who come here for visits.

Before you go charging in, look at what the locals do, not the visitors, and assess the ocean conditions. You will see how they handle it. Most of us, spend some time before we enter the ocean, checking out waves, wind, currents, and visibility ( if snorkeling ).

Something that I learned long ago, when I was in high school, is that you do not try and jump over a wave.

You dive under it and let it pass over you. That means with a boogie board , or surf board, or if you are body surfing. Jumpoing over a wave is really not a good plan. Especially with any kind of board in your hands.

Just FYI in the safety dept. for other visitors who are not familar with the ocean. It is totally unforgiving and extgremely powerful.

On, and one more tip, I see people turning sideways to an incoming breaking small wave and planting their weight on the leg facing the wave. There can be a lot of water weight and power in that small wave, and can destroy the knee, as the force of the water smashed into it. would the average visitor know this...probably not. But , now you are aware.

Face it head on, not to your side. These are not high waves , generally, but smaller ones that do not look like they could be a problem.

In any case, with wave, please to not try and out jump it.....just dive under and you come up after the waves sweeps over you. SOP.

One more, what the heck. Testing the the temp of the water, when a person should be looking at the ocean conditions. It was a sunny October day up on the north shore, just bit past the Hanalei Colony Resort up on the North Shore.

A strong LONG SHORE CURRENT was running like rapids. Very, very strong and fast. This dad, and mom have their cute and darlin little toddler. She was all decked out in her young lady swim suit., sun hat, etc. Absolute cuttie pie !

The dad says, " Come on honey, lets check the temp of the water. " No clue as to that highly visible long shore current. Which could sweep both of them adios in hot second.

This guy had no clue as to the ocean.

Stay safe , everyone......please

Denny

California
Level Contributor
35,276 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: If it's Brown, stay in Town

<<one of the posters from canada wound up very sick with an gastro infection. At the same time her DH was also in Wilcox.>>

You don't know how that lady got sick, Denny. She might have had food poisoning for all we know or got the flu which is going around California big time, but it is important to stay out of those streams after a bad storm until the officials say its okay. Better to be safe than sorry.

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,506 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: If it's Brown, stay in Town

i understand that it could have been from eating at a restaurant, or what evere. My point is that the visitor can become very ill from the poluted water, and maybe for a very long, long time.

We see people playing in some of the most poluted areas on the island. On a daily basis. That highly contaminated water is at the base of nawiliwili stream near the DUKES entry bridge.

California
Level Contributor
35,276 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: If it's Brown, stay in Town

Sorry Denny, but your post made it sound like she got sick from being in the water and we don't know that was the case!

Burr Ridge, Illinois
Level Contributor
3,900 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: If it's Brown, stay in Town

I could see a lot of brown yesterday when I was on Kauai.

Thanks for sharing

Colorado
Level Contributor
1,676 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: If it's Brown, stay in Town

Thanks for the water/wave tips Denny....from someone who's been rolled, tossed and ouched a few too many times :) a 3 or 4 foot wave can nail ya in a heartbeat!

Princeville, Hawaii
Level Contributor
6,955 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: If it's Brown, stay in Town

A friend who has lived here for many years is in the hospital on Oahu with lepto that they think came from kayaking in the Hanalei River, a week before the big rainstorm. He is recovering but you can't be too careful.

Fairmont, West...
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: If it's Brown, stay in Town

We are scheduled to fly into Lihue on Thursday, March 8 2012. How long before things get back to normal after a storm like this? Should we consider changing our plans and coming at a later date?

Fairmont, West...
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: If it's Brown, stay in Town

We are planning to fly into Lihue on March 8 2012. How long does it normally take for everything to get back to normal after a storm like this? Should we consider rescheduling our trip? I don't mind a little rain, but I am concerned about flooding and "brown water".

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,846 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: If it's Brown, stay in Town

Aloha from Kaua'i!

It will take a few days for the brown water in many of our ocean waters to dissipate - because the rain is still coming down high in the mountains, which then makes its way into the streams, rivers, etc. that empty into the ocean.

But many beaches are just fine - for instance Po'ipu Beach looks great and plenty of people were out enjoying the water yesterday!

I certainly wouldn't postpone my trip because of this. Many, many beaches are just fine and the only thing I'd definitely suggest is not kayaking in the Wailua River for awhile - and staying out of the ocean waters that are brown.

You are talking about coming a week from now also - I'd expect that the ocean would be clearing up by that time - unless we get another big storm system - but as far as I know - that isn't what the weather people are forecasting.

Malama Pono,

Janet