We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wailua falls

Knoxville, Tennessee
5 posts
Save Topic
Wailua falls

CAn you hike down to the bottom of Wailua falls? If so, how difficult (in Marh) is the trek and is it worth it? Also, I have heard good things about the coffe plantation there. Any thoughts? Thank you.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
5,801 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wailua falls

It used to be possible but I've never tried. I believe it involves trespassing in addition to a slippery steep trail.

The coffee plantation is good for a 30 min stop when touring the west side. They have free samples and a food/snack bar plus a large gift store with various items.

Trabuco Canyon...
Level Contributor
911 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Wailua falls

The Kauai Coffee Plantation I think for a first timer you can easily spend 1 hr or more if you include the walking tour and all the taste tests, Plus the Gift shop.and a treat from the cafe on site.

We were tpld you can hike down to the bottom of the falls but looking at the area they said you had to go to get to it, we passed,

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,864 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Wailua falls

Aloha from Kaua'i!

Very unsafe and not recommended - might be illegal as well (not sure on that one) - definitely not something to do here for fun!

Malama Pono,

Janet

Knoxville, Tennessee
5 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Wailua falls

Thanks for the warnings. I will skip the illegal hike. I wonder if there are any moderate trails to any waterfalls on the island. We have a 6 year old with us who does like to hike.

DM

Soldotna, Alaska
Level Contributor
14 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Wailua falls

Here is a link that has been very helpful to me. I know there are a couple easy hikes on south shore for sure.

Happy reading. =)

http://www.kauaiexplorer.com/hiking_kauai/

Wailua
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
1,773 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Wailua falls

The legality of hiking to the bottom of Wailua falls is debatable. Technically, it is state park land, and not private. As far as I know, there is no official closure of that area (as is the case at the top of Opaeka'a falls), and because it is public land, by default it is open (that does not mean it is easily accessible). BUT the state parks did put up small fences and signs saying the area of those trails is closed, probably because of the erosion that was caused by people slipping and sliding down a steep hill. So I would say, the access is effectively closed. In any case, it was not suitable for children, and difficult and somewhat dangerous for adults. You had to know what you're doing, which isn't always the case with visitors following a guidebook's over-hyped description.

The hike you are looking for is Ho'opi'i falls in Kapa'a. 2 waterfalls and a beautiful forest to explore in between. They're not a big as Wailua falls, but the first one you can approach from the top, and the second one, you can walk to the bottom. I have taken my 6 y-o daugter and her friends to these. You can't really swim under the falls, but on the second one, they can play in the water underneath.

You could also do the kayaking on the Wailua river and hike to Uluwehi falls (aka Secret falls), which are bigger than Ho'opi'i but smaller than Wailua falls. But they have the classic round plunge pool that you can wade through and stand under the falls.

As with all activities on Kaua'i's rivers, watch for flash floods and dangerous brown-water runoff. Check the weather ahead of time and evaluate all conditions on the ground. Even with clear-running streams, there is the risk of leptospirosis in fresh water, so do not swim with open cuts and do not get water in your mouth, nose, or eyes.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
5,801 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Wailua falls

standing under large falls also entails risk. all those rocks didn't float UP the river..............

I'd guess most of us do it, but if it's really flowing, perhaps not worth the risk.

Pembroke Pines, FL
Level Contributor
43 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Wailua falls

Just hiked down today with my adventurous 11 and 13 year olds. Not difficult or what I would consider dangerous. Nor illegal from the signs that I saw. I would say go for it. Had so much fun that we may do it again tomorrow and bring my mother. It's muddy and slippery though.

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,864 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Wailua falls

Aloha from Kaua'i!

Don't want to start advocating taking a hike down to the bottom of Wailua Falls - as is stated in the linked article below - "though please keep in mind again that the county advises against the hike. The signs erected at each trail are a testament to this fact."

hawaii-guide.com/kauai/sights/wailua_falls

I'm glad you and your children are safe and sound, but please do not advocate this for others - it is not recommended as it is not considered safe.

One of the two or three signs at Wailua Falls:

www.flickr.com/photos/phoenix337/3700702777/

Malama Pono,

Janet

new york
Level Contributor
1,158 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Wailua falls

The trail is closed off and is dangerous . Yes it can be done but be very very careful