We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help Me Understand The Grand Hyatt Beach

San Francisco
Level Contributor
107 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Help Me Understand The Grand Hyatt Beach

Okay so we will be in Kauai September 22-October 1. Currently we are staying for 5 nights at the Sheraton (Ocean Front) and 4 nights at the St. Regis.

Still debating if we want to switch to the Hyatt (garden view) for the first 5 nights but are concerned with the beach at the hyatt. From the pictures that I have seen the actual beach itself looks nice, but it is supposed to be "unswimmable".

My wife and I are not big Ocean swimmers to beging with. When we went to Puerto Vallarta we enjoyed playing in the waves etc... but I would not say that we actually swam in the ocean. So swimming in the ocean isn't important to us, but a nice beach in which we can lay in lay in the sand and at least play in the waves is important.

Can you do this at the Hyatt beach?

Is the only thing that makes the Sherton beach better is the fact that you can actually swim in the ocean?

California
Level Contributor
35,540 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help Me Understand The Grand Hyatt Beach

Yes you can play in the waves at Shipwreck and the beach is nice. The thing to me about the Hyatt vs the Sheraton is the beautiful grounds and pool at The Hyatt. It says "I am in Hawaii".

There are tons of yuotubes videos of people enjoying the beach at The Grand Hyatt. Just understand there are no lifeguards and the currents can be strong. I like the Sheraton (stayed there YEARS ago) but I love The Hyatt. I am hoping to use my two free nights there this Sept.

Northern California...
Level Contributor
1,794 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help Me Understand The Grand Hyatt Beach

Rocks. Lots & lots of rocks + shallow water = trip to emergency room if you get knocked down by a wave.

Its a pretty area but for a resort that size, the portion that is sandy enough to enjoy is really small. I wouldn't switch your plans if I were you.

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
16,327 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Help Me Understand The Grand Hyatt Beach

Playing in the waves there is not always a simple thing. Maybe on the calmest of days only. The underwater geography is different than the Sheraton beach. The past 2 hurricanes have gouged out much of the sand creating less of a slope and more of a fast and hard shorebreak. The water doesn't have a chance to roll in. Instead, it hits the shore pretty hard and closer in. Oftentimes it can be difficult just getting in and getting out wihtout getting knocked down. I've watched many get knocked down and need help getting up before the next one rolls in. Once you get in and get further out past the shorebreak you're actually before off farther out.

A bad day at the Sheraton is still better than a bad day at the Hyatt. Plus, the water tames down as you walk farther down the beach.

I hit both beaches frequently. I typically have no problem at the Sheraton beach compared to Shipwereck Beach. It's a beach that I've decided to sit it out on the sand and enjoy the scenery.

Edited: 01 March 2012, 17:30
LA
Level Contributor
9,326 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Help Me Understand The Grand Hyatt Beach

Too many rocks on the bottom and not enough broad expanses of sand for playing in the waves.

The beach approach is also quite steep so it's only a couple of steps and you are in overhead water.

It was far too rough to be playing in the waves when I was there one June. You would have been knocked down over and over.

California
Level Contributor
35,540 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help Me Understand The Grand Hyatt Beach

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZY-EQYpSfjA

There is no way you could get me in on this day....

I have never stayed there when it was this rough.

Here's the rocks they are talking about:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVi67wJ36ls

Here's another video with lots of people in the waves. This is more what I did when I was there. I stuck my toes in.

www.youtube.com/watch…

Edited: 01 March 2012, 17:54
Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
16,327 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Help Me Understand The Grand Hyatt Beach

Yes, you'll see videos of people in the water and you'll hear from folks who say they or their super athletic teens have been in the water there. Yes, it can happen and when it does folks are more inclined to videotape it compared to when they can't even get in.

That said, you should pick your resort based on the other amenities the resort offers also. The Hyatt is "grand experience" even without the beach. The lagoon is a nice substitute for ocean swimming. You can always hop in the car to get to other beaches.

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,864 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help Me Understand The Grand Hyatt Beach

Aloha from Kaua'i!

Keoniloa bay (aka Shipwreck Beach) in front of the Grand Hyatt is really beautiful and a great place to walk, lay in the sand and just enjoy watching the changing ocean - but it is not a good place to swim - period.

As has been mentioned earlier, there is no lifeguard and they post flags up every day along the ocean pathway (green, yellow, red) to show you what ocean conditions are like that day - I walk that pathway and it is almost always red conditions (don't go in).

A great place to walk the beach, or sit and enjoy watching it - but not someplace to swim or even play in the waves - that "danger zone" that people like to play in is actually one of the most dangerous places to go in the ocean, because the waves "hit" right at that point and if you are in their way - well, you get the picture.

Beautiful beach - just don't plan on going in the water there.

Malama Pono,

Janet

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
16,327 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Help Me Understand The Grand Hyatt Beach

That's right. I don't think I've ever seen the flag change from RED to anything else. Seems it's left in that color as a precaution.

Schaumburg, IL
Level Contributor
792 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Help Me Understand The Grand Hyatt Beach

I agree with all that everyone else said, the beach is beautiful but the conditions (rocks, shorebreak) make it "unswimmable". If it was me, and I chose the Sheraton over the Hyatt I would be disappointed once I saw what I passed up. I know that it's really hard to make a decision based on photos and others opinions, so I will tell you that some think that the Hyatt is too "over the top" others love it for it's Hawaiian beauty. Which type of person do you think you and your wife are? If you have a car you can always visit other beaches, you are not stuck at your resort. But, you cannot use the pool and lagoon at the Hyatt if you are not a guest.

Denver
Destination Expert
for Poipu
Level Contributor
3,335 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Help Me Understand The Grand Hyatt Beach

I agree with pampered - there's so much more to the Hyatt than just the beach - and even the garden view is incredible. I would stay at the Hyatt in a heartbeat. You can walk along a lovely landscaped greenbelt path through Poipu Kai to get to Poipu Beach (20 min or so depending on how fast you walk/how much stuff you have); you'll probably end up in the car visiting other beaches anyway.