We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thurs. March 1---is that sun I see??

Buford, Georgia
Level Contributor
3,592 posts
72 reviews
Save Topic
Thurs. March 1---is that sun I see??

Not totally sunny, but it didn't rain! The surf was way down on the north shore again, so that's where we ended up. Another beautiful day!

…blogspot.com/2012/02/2012-kauai-feb-16-marc…

Brisbane
Level Contributor
7,154 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Thurs. March 1---is that sun I see??

I'm just loving your blog and photos...gorgeous!!

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,846 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Thurs. March 1---is that sun I see??

Aloha from Kaua'!

Mahalo for keeping us up to date on all your "doings" here!

I do see blue sky here on the South Shore - so there is hope for sun yet - hope you find it when you come down here!

I'm not 100% sure, but the trees in the one photo look like monkeypod trees possibly - I referenced my Hawaiian trees book and that is my best guess at this point!

Malama Pono,

Janet

Rohnert Park...
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Thurs. March 1---is that sun I see??

Love your blog!I showed my husband last night(we will be arriving for the first time March 17) and of course had to look at your 2011 pics to see the shark. Thanks

Buford, Georgia
Level Contributor
3,592 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Thurs. March 1---is that sun I see??

Janet, are there different kinds of Monkey pods? I thought the ones down south had rounded tops and really curly branches. These seem to lift up to the sky and have almost white bark, then looks like someone sheared off the tops of them.

Glad you're all enjoying the blog. Blogger made some improvements this past year and has made it a whole lot easier to do.

California
Level Contributor
35,265 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Thurs. March 1---is that sun I see??

I just LOVE your blogs and photos. You HAVE to come every year!!!!

Buford, Georgia
Level Contributor
3,592 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Thurs. March 1---is that sun I see??

jebett---We have been coming every year. But next year, I actually have reservations for Maui in Feb.

La Mirada...
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
15,205 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Thurs. March 1---is that sun I see??

I would have guessed the trees are Albizia. Gorgeous trees, but they are not native. They grow so tall so fast, they keep native plants from growing. The wood is very brittle too so it's takes very little wind to have HUGE branches come down. A few years ago, the county did a bunch of trimming on the ones by the Kalihiwai bridge.

I love your fish photos! Thanks for sharing with us.

3Chihuahuas

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
16,188 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Thurs. March 1---is that sun I see??

Agree with 3chis. Looks like a younger Albizia tree to me. Beautiful yet fragile and somewhat weak trees with a shorter lifespan. Some varieties flower, some don't. Because they're quick growers they've been used for reforestation purposes by actually dropping seeds from helicopters. Not native to Hawaii and in many places they're considered weed trees. Beautiful in my book though. I love the mature ones that surround the Kalihiwai bridge.

California
Level Contributor
35,265 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Thurs. March 1---is that sun I see??

I too thought they were monkey pods but I looked at an old thread of mine in reference to them and it was decided they were Albizia. They grow like a weed and are very invasive.

thegardenisland.com/news/local/article_78d19…

Princeville, Hawaii
Level Contributor
6,954 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Thurs. March 1---is that sun I see??

Have been enjoying your reports and pictures. Thanks.