We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Road closures Mar 6 2012 4 PM

San Diego...
Level Contributor
5,801 posts
50 reviews
Save Topic
Road closures Mar 6 2012 4 PM

Hearing the Kalihiwai River bridge reopened so the Princeville crowd can escape south now. Hanalei is still not reachable by car from what I hear. That's going on 3 full days now.

kauai.gov/Kamaaina/…Default.aspx

Report #22 is 4 hrs old, but it's the latest written list.

We did venture out to Kapaa. The highway from mile 15 down to mile 8 on the east side is open, clean and in fairly good condition. There are some new potholes so pay attention.

Traffic was very backed up in Kapaa as the bypass is still closed from the roundabout south. If you can avoid just touring around, best to do so or you could sit for a very long time.

We had no pressing need to go south so can't report on the other flooded areas. FWIW the 2 day rain total at my house was 9 inches. Hanalei got 18 just yesterday.

California
Level Contributor
35,821 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Road closures Mar 6 2012 4 PM

According to Ron Wiley's facebook page and reports from friends of mine in this area, Hanalei Bridge is open but only allowing people out, not in.

<<Civil Defense reports that the Hanalei Bridge is now OPEN to one lane of outgoing vehicular traffic only.>>

Also power restored in Haena. Also heard folks staying at St Regis can't use the restaurant. No food!!!????? No staff!!

Edited: 07 March 2012, 03:54
Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Catalina Island
Level Contributor
14,388 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Road closures Mar 6 2012 4 PM

A Facebook friend of mine that lives in Haena was allowed back in but was looking for a ride (she flew in from Cali yesterday). Not sure if she ever got a ride was allowed back in....

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
3,662 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Road closures Mar 6 2012 4 PM

South Shore seemed back to normal during our travels today - Hanapepe/Koloa/Lihue and back. Soggy, but in pretty good shape. Some big trees down, etc from last night's winds.

My hairdresser lives up in Kapahi. She said the only problem she had was having to drive through Kapa'a today - the by-pass is sorely missed over there.

It has started to rain again now, so we will see what happens. The water running down our street from Kalaheo never did completely stop today...not sure what that is all about.

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,871 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Road closures Mar 6 2012 4 PM

Aloha from Kaua'i!

I drove in my little car in to Lihu'e today to do the Museum tour - and I'll tell you I swerved big-time on Maluhia Rd. (Tree Tunnel Rd.) - there was a crater that took up half of my lane and that would have almost literally swallowed my car! Luckily no traffic in the other direction, so I swerved into that lane to miss it!

On the way home, they had a road crew working on it and only one lane of traffic was moving at a time in that section - plenty of pukas on our roads - so keep an eye out!

Surprisingly the Kipu by-pass was fine - they had just completed debris cleanup there and I made good time heading into town.

Malama Pono,

Janet

Oahu, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
21,536 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Road closures Mar 6 2012 4 PM

Aloha,

A big Mahalo nui to all the city and state workers who have been making things right.

On Kauai and Oahu !

Aloha

Princeville, Hawaii
Level Contributor
7,006 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Road closures Mar 6 2012 4 PM

Spent the day (from 10 to 4) working at the Church of the Pacific with folks waiting for the Kalihiwai bridge to open. Most had come to Princeville Monday night from Kileuea for things like shopping and returning movies and couldn't get back. We were all glad to hear the bridge was open at around 4.

Here the Kapaa by-pass has been damaged and my take a while to fix. Yuck.

Edited: 07 March 2012, 06:34
San Diego...
Level Contributor
5,801 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Road closures Mar 6 2012 4 PM

Yes. Evidently a culvert under the bypass failed so it may be weeks before they can get it dry enough to fix it.

There were some great video shots on the various news shows tonight.

Kalihiwai was taken out by falling trees and earth. Anahola Stream looks like a raging river still. No one had good shots from Hanalei.

The latest press release from the County (5:30 PM) shows what roads remain closed, but basically you can get anywhere now but it make take a longer time than usual.

It's looking clear for us now though Maui and the BI are getting a bit of rain. THe news is saying we'll need sunscreen by Saturday. Hallelujah..

Sylvania, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,826 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Road closures Mar 6 2012 4 PM

Stay safe everyone

California
Level Contributor
35,821 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Road closures Mar 6 2012 4 PM

Latest information I just received:

Road crews have cleared much of the debris and mudslides on the north shore, and Kaua'i police have reopened one lane of Kūhi‘ō Highway from Hanalei to just before the stream crossing at Hā'ena Beach Park.

Kūhi‘ō Highway in the vicinity of the Hanalei Bridge remains closed as of this writing, and will be reopened as soon as it is deemed safe for passage.

Other roads that were closed yesterday remain closed as of this writing:

Kūhi‘ō Highway in the vicinity of Hā'ena Beach Park

Kūhi‘ō Highway at Kalihiwai Bridge

Kūhi‘ō Highway in the vicinity of mile marker 22.5 in Kilauea; northbound traffic is being diverted to Kolo Road while southbound traffic is being redirected to Pili Road

Kapa'a bypass road

In addition, Wa‘apa Road between the Niumalu Road and Wilcox Road junction in Nāwiliwili is closed due to downed poles possibly caused by a landslide.

For up-to-date information on the weather, please go to the National Weather Service website, http://www.prh.noaa.gov/pr/hnl/.

For current information on major road closures, please call 241-1725.

Riverside, CA
Level Contributor
669 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Road closures Mar 6 2012 4 PM

Thanks everyone for keeping us all informed about our little island