We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hiking Trails

Koloa, Hawaii
2 posts
Save Topic
Hiking Trails

We were looking to get out and do some hiking on trails in Kauai. I understand that Na Pali State park is closed. Does anyone know the condition of the trails on the East side? I believe that Lydgate is closed too. Are the trails around Alakai or Kukui managable?

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
37 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Hiking Trails

This was printed in the Honolulu Star Advertiser staradvertiser.com/news/…142127233.html

On Kauai, the Napali Coast State Wilderness Park is closed, due to damage to the Kalalau trail. Polihale State Park on the island's west side remains open.

Also this is the report posted on the Hawaii State Park . Org web sight

FRIDAY, MARCH 9, 2012 - KALALAU TRAIL CLOSED DUE TO SEVERE WEATHER

Permits Required: Camping permits required, special rules apply to Na Pali Coast camping. AS OF JANUARY 1, 2012, DAY-USE HIKING PERMITS FOR THE KALALAU TRAIL HAVE BEEN DISCONTINUED. DAY HIKING IS NOW ALLOWED WITHOUT A PERMIT UP TO HANAKOA VALLEY (6 MILES IN FROM TRAILHEAD). ANYONE PROCEEDING BEYOND HANAKOA VALLEY MUST POSSESS A VALID CAMPING PERMIT.

I would imagine the damage to the trail is past mile seven (Crawlers Ledge). Often though when they close the trail they post the signs at mile two after you cross the river at Hanakapiai Beach.

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,506 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hiking Trails

We have had horrendous rains, with roads closed, washed out, land slides, sink holes, power and telephone poles down, and now some 40 to 50 year old hiker decides he can hike the hanakpiai Trail. This is just yesterday, saturday march 10th.

Great decisiion, he also decides to cross the rip roaring hanakapiai stream. He and his two hiking sticks and back pack were swept away in the roaring torent, and out to sea he went. Witnsesses notified the authorities.

Once again the county lauches a major search and rescue attempt with several differnet agencies. There is no sign of him.

most every trail on this island is going to be muddy, more rain is due, and it will be wet up in the mountains. The red drit is slippery like you will not believe.

Alakai is NUTS.......with a stream crossing, and probably the boardwalk is submerged. If coming in from the pihea trail, that is going to be like skating on ice at the beginning of the trail....if coming in on the dirt road, best have a good four wheel drive, and even then it can be trecherous.

Do not know about the Kukui, since we have a policy of not hiking the trails during or just after storms. It is a pretty steep puppy going down and back up even tho they have hewn some steps into the slope.

Call the Koke'e Museum, the gals there will have the latest updates on trail conditions. They will have the latest reports from people who are hiking up in that area.

With your screen name, I am construing that you are from Koloa town, and know the south shore area. The dryest hike that we know of, and it might be a bit muddy in parts at this time, is right there near you. So, I am sure you are aware of the cliffs and dunes trail over to Maha'ulpeu.

Erica is going to go for the short hike from Banyan Harbor, past kalapaki beach, and up and around Kauai Lagoons. She will be on solid land, and not take the dirt trail.

Have fun with your treking.

Denny

San Diego...
Level Contributor
5,801 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hiking Trails

He was a she Denny and she was trying to get out of there not go in. Might want to dial back the judgements until we actually know the full story. Could have been a long term camper (illegal I know) trying to escape. Might have been someone who went back just before the first giant rain storm, got caught, and simply ran out of food and got desperate. Kinda harsh given that she's dead.

For the OP. The east side trails will be mud pits. Slippery and dangerous. We'll need 3-4 days of hot and dry to make conditions bearable. This mud sticks like glue. You end up with 2 inches of slippery muck on yours shoes such that you end up with telfon sliders..

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Catalina Island
Level Contributor
14,426 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hiking Trails

My husband and his brother tried to hike in Waimea today but had to turn back. They also had to cancel their BBQ at a friend's house in Kalaheo. Too much rain.

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Catalina Island
Level Contributor
14,426 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hiking Trails

<<she was trying to get out of there not go in.>>

I read it as she was trying to get out (of the house) and do some hiking.

California
Level Contributor
36,077 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hiking Trails

"The Kaua‘i Police Department (KPD) has identified the woman whose body was recovered off Na Pali Coast this morning as 58-year-old Sansan Sheng of Sunnyvale, California. Sheng was scheduled to attend a conference on Kaua‘i later this week. She was traveling alone.Yesterday afternoon witnesses observed a person who was attempting to cross Hanakapiai stream being swept into the ocean. One witness rushed back to Kee Beach to alert a lifeguard who called emergency 911. An air- and ocean-based search was conducted yesterday afternoon and evening, and resumed this morning at sunrise. The Kaua‘i Fire Department, U.S. Coast Guard, and Civil Air Patrol assisted with the search. This morning a tour boat spotted the body in the ocean about four miles west of Hanakapiai and alerted authorities. The Kaua‘i Fire Department rescue helicopter, Air 1, successfully retrieved the body and brought it to Princeville airport at approximately 9:00 a.m. today.The woman’s family has been notified and an autopsy is scheduled to be performed early this week."

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
3,685 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hiking Trails

Dear God.

It has been raining over here all day again!...not at all what they said to expect at 10 p.m. last night. Not a lot of rain - just over 1"...problem is that it is wet and not what we want anymore!! Thankfully we have had some good sun on the south shore, on and off. Glad we had yesterday afternoon out at Kekaha (82 degrees).

The red dirt is nasty in these conditions...paths are definitely the answer for the present.

Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
2,183 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Hiking Trails

In regard to Lydgate, on Friday i drove down into main park section and you can park and use the picnic tables along the ocean. The swimming ponds are closed. The Kamalani Playground and surrounding area was taped off and posted to keep out as there was a sewage overflow.

I did not venture into the portion of the park near Wailua Golf Coarse so do not know conditions there.

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,874 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hiking Trails

Aloha from Kaua'i!

Today is grey and windy - but the constant, drizzly rain from the last day or two has subsided at least.

Not great weather, but not wet at least - our ground is soooo saturated right now that it needs a spell of no rain to dry out!

Malama Pono,

Janet

Wailua
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
1,801 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Hiking Trails

Like everybody says, all the trails will have been affected by the rain. Most of the Kokee trails will get very muddy and slippery. And those that cross streams will be very iffy as to whether you can or should cross. Especially that the rain is not really gone yet, we still get showers. With the saturated ground, even little rains can make the streams rise again.

The Kuilau trail (and its continuation on the Moalepe trail) is usually in good shape, no crossings. It can get a bit muddy, but nothing like other trails, and it's not too steep. The only problem is that it is inland where the rains are still more frequent.

The Sleeping Giant trails don't cross any streams, but they are steeper. So if there is any mud, and I'm sure there is, they will be slippery and not too fun.

The usual recommendation for rainy weather and wet trails is Maha'ulepu. It's mostly sandstone that you walk on, so no mud issues. There is one stream there, between Gillin's beach and riding stables, but if you start at Shipwreck's beach and turn around at the crossing, you get almost 4 miles round-trip. I'm not sure how the road is after the storm, so not sure you can drive to the usual parking lots and hike beyond Gillin's.