We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

rental condo?

San Diego...
Level Contributor
1,121 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
rental condo?

Just starting to plan trip to Kauai for mid May. DH has company sponsored trip for 3 nights at the Marriott in Lihue. We'll tack on 4-5 nights before meeting up w/ his coworkers.

We've been to Kauai 5 times, but have only stayed in hotels and never during May. We were there in Oct '11 and split our stay between St Regis and Sheraton since we had 12 nights. The prior times, we stayed at the Grand Hyatt. I don't know anything about condos in Kauai.

Our budget is up to $250/night incl taxes & fees. Any recommendations on specific condo complexes? Not sure if we should stay on North shore or Poipu area during May. We love to snorkel and hike (hopefully the trail to Hanakapai'i Falls will be open by then. Even though we had great weather in Oct, the snorkeling conditions were very poor (too rough).

We must have:

- king bed

- refrig & microwave

- pool

Very nice to have:

- A/C

- stove/ cooktop

- separate bedroom/living room (i.e. w/ door, not studio)

Would be nice, but def not mandatory:

- ocean view

- walk to beach

California
Level Contributor
9,214 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: rental condo?

Take a look at Hanalei Colony Resort. It has everything on your wish list except A/C. www.hcr.com

Morro Bay...
Level Contributor
800 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: rental condo?

I love the north shore and agree about HBR. It's a lovely property with wonderful views and most units are very reasonable for the location. Others will pop up on this forum who can tell you very specific details about individual units. Their advice is usually right on the money! I'll be there in mid May as well and staying at HBR part of the time...glad I secured my lodging, car and flight a while ago, though, as prices seem on the upswing. Good luck!

California
Level Contributor
35,265 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: rental condo?

22kauai mentioned Hanalei Colony, not HBR but HBR has everything on your list including a/c. I'll be there mid May too. Its a busy time at this resort.

For $250 including taxes, fees and cleaning, you are really looking at something in the $200/nt range. Most of the really nice units at HBR with great views are closer to $300 all inclusive.

I don't know what your dates are, but this is open for 4 nights during the middle of May. Its a very pretty unit and I think the agency will work on price with you.

http://www.summitpacificinc.com/7203.html

San Diego...
Level Contributor
1,121 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: rental condo?

jebett - looks very nice, but unfortunately not avail for our dates (5/12-5/17). Bummer.

The company just switched the trip from Mexico to Kauai (thankfully). But that doesn't leave us much time to secure rez for extending our trip. Hoping to find a condo instead of a hotel this time.

California
Level Contributor
35,265 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: rental condo?

Darn it! Those dates are right during the HO meeting. I sent you a few others to consider. I also looked at the Puu Poa condos I like but they are either booked or way over budget. Maybe see what a studio at The Westin would cost. If I come up with any other ideas I will pass them on.

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Tucson
Level Contributor
3,196 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: rental condo?

It's going to be pretty difficult to find something in your price range once you add in taxes and a cleaning fee that you can only spread over 4 nights. Maybe if someone has 4 days between other bookings they need to fill you can find a good deal, though.

Since you are at the Marriott for the rest of the trip, I'd go north. You might be able to find something at Sealodge that would get you in that range. No A/C but you really won't need it that time of year. Only drawback is that the pool there is pretty basic. Other than that I think it would meet the rest of your needs.

7. Re: rental condo?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 June 2013, 06:42