We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Surf lessons for kids?

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
111 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Surf lessons for kids?

We will be in coming to Kauai for the first time in a week and a half and my daughter would love to take a surfing lesson. She is 7 1/2 and my son is 4. In looking online there seem to be several places that offer lessons for young kids (my son may want to go too). Is there one that you would recommend? We are staying on the south side.

Thanks!

California
Level Contributor
37,268 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Surf lessons for kids?

Margo Oberg gets good reviews:

http://www.surfonkauai.com/

Kauaigerl's grandkids loved the experience.

Michigan
Level Contributor
2,832 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Surf lessons for kids?

I don't believe a 4 year old would be able to take those lessons - and I don't know if I would want my 4 year old to take them. Our youngest grandson was 6 and he DID drift out quite a ways before the teacher saw him - it was one scary moment for this grandma - other than that the kids were in heaven doing this and amazing how they all got up the first try on the surfboard.

Burr Ridge, Illinois
Level Contributor
3,900 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Surf lessons for kids?

The park near the Sheraton is a hang out for surf companies that provide lessons. You can toss a dart based on ads and posts or you may want to show up and shop in person.

When my son and I were on the island together he wanted surf lessons (again).

I took time to chat with the guys and found the one I thought most child accommodating.

Also, ask about private lessons.

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
16,998 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Surf lessons for kids?

They'll probably let the 4 year old do it too but they'll pare it down for him. Probably keep him much closer to shore and try to find an area less rocky. (there's a fair number of rocks on the bottom in the area where they give these lessons). They'll make it super easy for him by probably holding onto the board while he manages to stand up and then then give him a little push. Even if he only has 15 feet to go to shore it will count as him getting up on the board. It's nothing you couldn't do yourself with him with a foam board but taking "big boy" lessons will make him feel like a real surfer.

5. Re: Surf lessons for kids?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 March 2013, 09:21