We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Poipu Kapili #12? Looks like a well placed unit..thoughts?

Sherwood park...
Level Contributor
558 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Poipu Kapili #12? Looks like a well placed unit..thoughts?

Thanks for all the help with the previous question on which condo complex to stay at. We gathered from the responses that the Poipu Kapili was in a excellent location.....any thoughts on units that face the ocean? and the corner unit #12?

Thanks

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
17,168 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Poipu Kapili #12? Looks like a well placed unit..thoughts?

Unit 12 is at the end of one of the two buildings that directly face the ocean. It would be a very open unit with lots of ventilation and light as it has windows on both sides overlooking the lawn area between buildings. The building is a little higher in elevation than the other similar building so it would have a slightly better oceanview clearing the road. It's a good location on the property. If you wish to not be in one of the two buildings that face the road then look at building 3 which faces the pool. You would still have an oceanview from the lanai. But I would stick with unit 12 personally. Road traffic is minimal by most tourist's standards.

Edited: 22 March 2012, 17:10
Sherwood park...
Level Contributor
558 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Poipu Kapili #12? Looks like a well placed unit..thoughts?

you are a wealth of info.....thanks.....looking at 5 nights there and then 7 in Princeville.....we like the outdoor activities, hiking, biking, surfing, and the beach....should we spend more time North?

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
54,696 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Poipu Kapili #12? Looks like a well placed unit..thoughts?

We were with a group friends at Poipu Kapili about 7 or 8 years and we probably had 6 units between all of us. #12 was one of the units in the group and it was nice, but the last 4 years we've been in #14, 15 and 17 twice and we actually like those units better than the ocean front ones. I've also been in 43 with my parents and they've been in #42 and I believe it was #46 at different times too.

I would spend it 7 Poipu, 5 Princeville. Princeville is up on cliffs above the beach, only HBR has easy beach access and even then the beach is tiny. You also have very few options for walkable dining in Princeville.

Sherwood park...
Level Contributor
558 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Poipu Kapili #12? Looks like a well placed unit..thoughts?

What was the reason you liked those units better?

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
17,168 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Poipu Kapili #12? Looks like a well placed unit..thoughts?

Sherwood, not sure if you've seen this map of PK ?...

http://www.poipukapili.com/property-map/

The units Scott is referring to are in bulding 3 which is the other 2-bedroom, 2-story unit building that doesn't face the water. Some people prefer this building for the 2-bedroom units because they don't face the road. Some people are more sensitive to any road noise. You can see the building is on an angle and when you're on the lanai you still have an oceanview. My personal preference would still be unit 12 because of the design of the unit on the end and more windows. It's a personal thing. You can't go wrong with any of them.

Seattle Washington
Level Contributor
812 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Poipu Kapili #12? Looks like a well placed unit..thoughts?

I have stayed in unit 12. it is a fabulous corner unit. Very well equipped, great views, extremely comfortable, recently updated, lot's of light and good cross ventilation. I would go for it.

I think a 5 and 7 night split is a good mix. From Poipu you have easy access to waimea Canyon for hikes, we just recently spent 2 days hiking on trails in the canyon. You also have Mahaulepu for a hike and good surfing in front of the Kiahuna. We also rented bikes for a day. We are staying in Hanalei right now after 2 weeks in Poipu and yes there are endless things to do for outdoor activities. There are definitely better restaurant's in Poipu if that matters to you. For me the natural beauty of the N. Shore is unsurpassed. But there is plenty to do in Poipu for 5 nights, with is usually 4 days.

Seattle Washington
Level Contributor
812 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Poipu Kapili #12? Looks like a well placed unit..thoughts?

Also have you considered renting a house on the beach on the N. shore? We are staying on the beach on Hanalei Bay right now and do prefer it to staying in Princeville. Just a thought!

Sherwood park...
Level Contributor
558 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Poipu Kapili #12? Looks like a well placed unit..thoughts?

Thanks Sallyho.....we were actually looking at houses, but were late on the planning for August and the good ones appear to be gone....we are going to do the Puu Poa condos...thanks for the info on 12

Taylors Falls...
Level Contributor
764 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Poipu Kapili #12? Looks like a well placed unit..thoughts?

We stayed in Unit 12 for two weeks in October-November. This place was so nice. The best thing is you get two lanai's, one for shade overlooking the pool and one for sunsets overlooking the ocean for sunsets and breakfast. Next, is the fabulous sunsets from this place. It is stunning, as is the landscape, access to the pool, the ocean views are in your face for almost 180 degrees, the sound of the ocean amazing day and night, the interior is one of the best at Poipu Kapili(the staff told us it was uber luxurious and in the top two best for the complex). The 60 inch flat screen, art work, plates and pottery from Hanapepi and Kaloa artisans, specialty lighting, the pineapple motif, sound system, corner unit, gourmet kitchen, bedroom overlooking the pool, is all too much to soak in. We saw other units and other properties and felt so spoiled here.

I say you picked the best spot at Poipu Kapili, but hope the dates your looking at are available. Because Unit 12 is first rate anywhere!

Taylors Falls...
Level Contributor
764 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Poipu Kapili #12? Looks like a well placed unit..thoughts?

Oh, the owners recently updated, so everything is new, or within a couple of years. We are so dreaming and planning to go back there.

As Napa said, it is one of the most elevated units. And as Napa said the ventilation is excellent and AC isn't needed. They have a bathroom off both upstairs bedrooms with ventilated windows from ceiling to the floor which we referred to as the "treehouse bathrooms". Made going to the bathroom, hate to say it, but fun! The downstairs bathroom is also impressive and so is the full washer and dryer, which are high end. You'll really appreciate that if you stay there.