We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Picnic hints!

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
49 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Picnic hints!

We will be arriving in early may for over almost four weeks on the island. We will definitely eat out a few times, but I'm looking forward to cooking and picnics! What is your favourite picnic spot? Is it possible to purchase a cheap hibachi in Lihue (where?) and grill at the beach? And what are your favorite picnic foods?

Oahu, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
22,324 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Picnic hints!

Aloha,

I think a lot of folks miss out on the picnic at the beach.

What better way to enjoy the Islands.

Get your grill and cooler and a bag of Kiawe charcoal at Walmart.

I like the teriyaki marinades for meat, chicken and fish.

You can grill your veggies also.

Nothing like a day in the water and some home cookin on the beach

So many beaches to pick, how about Anini Beach

hawaiigaga.com/kauai/beaches/anini-beach.aspx

Have a great time,

Aloha

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,874 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Picnic hints!

Aloha from Kaua'i!

Everyone here is going to have their favorites based on their own "favorite" part of the island - but mine (I have several, but this one is #1) would be going to Salt Pond County Park in Hanapepe.

They have a rock walled swimming area, pavillions to sit at for a picnic (as well as sand and grassy areas with shade) - bathrooms, showers and a lifeguard.

It is a nice mix of residents and visitors there - which I think makes for a nicer

experience personally.

Also - has to be one of the very best spots to watch sunsets here on Kaua'i!

Malama Pono,

Janet

La Mirada...
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
15,521 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Picnic hints!

Exactly what jet said...pick your beach. Three of my favorites that have picnic tables, etc:

Kealia

Salt Pond

Ha'ena

California
Level Contributor
36,124 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Picnic hints!

Many beaches have grills.

Since you have a month, I think you should try all of the above.

Denver
Destination Expert
for Poipu
Level Contributor
3,349 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Picnic hints!

We love the picnic spot on the Kuilau Ridge Trail - it's an easy 1 mile hike in and has beautiful inland views (distant ocean views on the hike). https:/…

I think Poipu beach park has BBQ grills at the picnic pavilion - it's a great place to watch the sunset.

Salt Pond is beautiful but can be really windy. Anini beach is, hands-down, my favorite place on earth.

We make a "river sandwich" for picnics (easy to pack on whitewater rafting trips) - loaf of italian bread (or ciabatta), various deli meats and cheeses, lettuce, sliced tomatoes and green peppers, and Italian salad dressing. Assemble all but the dressing before the picnic to keep it from getting mushy.

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Tucson
Level Contributor
3,287 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Picnic hints!

Although we did purchase one of those small grills and had a picnic at Ke'e Beach one time, we've found that it is much easier to just have a picnic with foods that don't need to be cooked. We just throw everything a backpack, or a small cooler and that way we can even have a picnic on a beach that might require a hike in. We also have one of those picnic blankets that folds up into a small package with a handle. It doesn't take up much room at all in our luggage and it works great.

Our favorite times on Kauai have been picnic dinners on a remote beach where we can watch the sunset while we eat dinner. Nothing like some bread, cheese, meats and a nice bottle of wine. Since we always stay on the north shore, some of our favorite places for a picnic dinner have been, Ke'e, Tunnels, Anini, Waiakalua, Lumahai, Secret and Hideaways Beaches. Just make sure to take a flashlight for the trip back.

Edited: 26 March 2012, 16:58
La Verne, California
Level Contributor
562 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Picnic hints!

Nothing like enjoying lunch on beautiful Ke'e Beach or in the shade at a nearly empty Sealodge Beach. We'll be there in late June/early July and take a picnic lunch almost daily to whichever beach we're going to that day. Can't wait!

Santa Monica, CA
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
Level Contributor
16,669 posts
247 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Picnic hints!

We have very fond memories of our picnic at Kokee State Park by the museum.

kokee.org/natural-history-museum/visiting-th…

middletown,ohio
Level Contributor
632 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Picnic hints!

We enjoyed packing a lunch for the day and stopping at which ever beach we wanted for the day did this for almost everyday of our trip (8 days) .

It was so special we hadn't taken the time to picnic together in years.

We also packed a lunch and ate it when we viewed Waimea Canyon.

I think any place in Kauai would be special.

Enumclaw, WA
Level Contributor
766 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Picnic hints!

Hubby and I buy one six-pack of bottled water every trip--then we refill the bottles with tap water after the first day or so. We keep them on rotation--three in the freezer and three in our picnic cooler. That way we have ice water on the beach and our picnic perishables stay cool. That's my #1 tip. Other than that...pick a beach, plop down, and enjoy.

I do like the idea of a grilling picnic at the beach, but I don't really like the idea of using public grills (disclaimer: I haven't checked any out in Kauai, I just know from the state and county parks near me) and transporting a hot hibachi and hot coals back to the condo in a rental car doesn't appeal either. But boy howdy, does fresh grilled fish or teriyaki chicken on the beach sound good...

Edited: 26 March 2012, 20:00