We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Regular gas tops $5.00 a gallon! (Princeville)

La Mirada...
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
15,995 posts
136 reviews
Save Topic
Regular gas tops $5.00 a gallon! (Princeville)

First article. Just another reason to rent the smallest car you can be comfortable in! There is link to gas prices around the island also on the first page (not always up-todate).

http://thegardenisland.com/

3Chihuahuas

santa cruz
Level Contributor
2,323 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Regular gas tops $5.00 a gallon! (Princeville)

Wow! Our gas is high here too but I'm not sure if it was ever $5 a gallon before during our visits. Princeville is usually the highest I believe.

Yes renting a smaller car is a good idea and if you are on Kauai long enough to make splitting your stay worth it, now would be the time to do it.

California
Level Contributor
36,994 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Regular gas tops $5.00 a gallon! (Princeville)

I never fill up in Princeville!!!! In my little town we inched up to Supreme being $5.00 but this weekend it went down 10 cents.

I say encourage the rental car companies to buy hybrids!!!!

Broken Arrow...
Level Contributor
27 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Regular gas tops $5.00 a gallon! (Princeville)

Ouch! Gas is $3.47 in Tulsa today. Looking forward to our Kauai visit but those gas prices are going to sting a bit. Oh, well, it's a small price to pay to see paradise!

La Mirada...
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
15,995 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Regular gas tops $5.00 a gallon! (Princeville)

The hybrid idea sounds good to me, I would definitely rent one, but I don't how well it work in reality (for tourists). Most hotels or condos don't have assigned parking so the complex would need to make an area for charging. Then who would pay for the electricity? Metered charging stations around the island like maybe at beach parking. Interesting thought though.....

3Chihuahuas

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
3,774 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Regular gas tops $5.00 a gallon! (Princeville)

Realistically, with a 12 gal tank, a fill at Princeville is less than $5 more - not significant in the scheme of things. Frustrating - and don't get me wrong, I hate high gas prices - but it sounds worse than it is.

It is starting to make taking the bus to the North Shore look kind of good. Actually friends of ours do that once a month from Poipu to Hanalei and have a blast!

California
Level Contributor
36,994 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Regular gas tops $5.00 a gallon! (Princeville)

Prius's don't require plug ins. Neither do Ford Focus Hybrids or Hondas. Only the Volts.

$5 more than what, Mezzsop? Than yesterday? Remember last year when we were complaining gas went up to $4?

Taking the bus STILL doesn't sound like a good idea.

Remember, when gas prices go up so do your airline tickets, groceries, boat tours, copter tours. Its not just car gas that increases!!!

$3.47 in OK? I haven't seen those kinds of prices in CA since....oh I can't remember when!!!

La Mirada...
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
15,995 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Regular gas tops $5.00 a gallon! (Princeville)

Duh....you can see I don't own (or know much about) a hybrid......

3Chihuahuas

San Diego...
Level Contributor
5,801 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Regular gas tops $5.00 a gallon! (Princeville)

"Remember, when gas prices go up so do your airline tickets, groceries, boat tours, copter tours. Its not just car gas that increases!!! "

Not always. Gasoline is a very different market than mid distillates -- diesel and jet fuel. Gasoline ramps up most years as you head out of winter into the driving season. Stocks are low and you cannot use winter gasoline in summer, unlike diesel/jet which pretty much have a year 'round composition. Some companies store summer grade gasoline in winter, but there just aren't that many tanks in the system. Certainly not enough to make a big difference. Even though the USA is using less gasoline than in years past, We use 9 million bbls a day roughly. That's 50-100 of those huge tanks you see at refineries every day. Or 40 typical product tankers.

Gasoline in is sky high because light crudes in the world are about $125/bbl. Forget WTI at $105. US Midcontinent crude is no longer the world benchmark. There's a surplus in the US inland regions and no cheap way to get it to the coast yet. The pipeline being flapped about will actually raise prices in the middle of the country, not provide relief.

$125/42 = $3/gallon. + a refining margin + a distribution cost + station margins + about 20ct federal tax + state/local taxes etc. gives your pump price. This Princeville station must be marking up his gas by about 25-30 cts more than any other on Kauai. (so about $3-5 on a full tank load) He's got little competition if you get up there and realize you are short. That and driving 40 miles round trip to Kapaa is not free either. Unfair? Maybe, but that's how "free markets" really work. The strong and well placed make a profit off the rest of us.

Right now, gasoline in the futures markets is about $3.40 so the refineries are making what looks to be a healthy profit on that piece. But it's rarely more than 45% of the product slate. You still have to sell the rest and if that means pushing jet fuel or diesel into a glutted market, that's what you do.

NYMEX Heating oil (roughly diesel) is $3.22. Big difference.

No one likes to pay more for fuel, but compared to $15 for a mai tai at the St. Regis, 3 gallons of a gas is a lot more useful.

So broadly speaking, crude oil rising lifts all prices. But gasoline spiking relative to crude, may actually cause the rest of the bbl to decline relative to crude oil.

and yes, I did this for a living.

Trabuco Canyon...
Level Contributor
924 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Regular gas tops $5.00 a gallon! (Princeville)

here also is another Link I find Handy, its a mobile app as well so you can use while out and about in your car Prices are updated daily by Users of the APP

gasbuddy.com/Gas_Prices/…index.aspx

Shows Costco at 4.69 A Gallon

Edited: 26 March 2012, 23:04
santa cruz
Level Contributor
2,323 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Regular gas tops $5.00 a gallon! (Princeville)

A Prius or other Hybrid would be perfect for Kauai. The slower you go the better your gas mileage is so the drive through Kapa'a would cost you nothing in gas!