We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

I cant find a rental car place that would accept 18+ Help!

La Habra, California
2 posts
Save Topic
I cant find a rental car place that would accept 18+ Help!

Me and my boyfriend want to go to Kauai in the beginning of June. I have looked into car rental places but all only accept 21 years old and above. I am 18 and I have saved money for this trip and its just going to suck having to take the bus or something when we head up there. Please help if you have any suggestions on what places accept 18+ to rent a car Thanks!

LA
Level Contributor
9,326 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: I cant find a rental car place that would accept 18+ Help!

Not unless one of you is in the US military.

Bloomsburg
Level Contributor
500 posts
248 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: I cant find a rental car place that would accept 18+ Help!

I don't see any policies listed, but you may want to try - www.discounthawaiicarrental.com/index.shtml. We have used their service quite a few times. Also, when I performed a very quick google search specifically asking for a car rental on Kauai for an 18 year old, Avis' web link said they rent to 18 and older. I went to their website and put in hypothetical dates, and was never asked my age (as many agencies such as budget and dollar will ask for your age). Be prepared to have a credit card or two with a decent line of credit, however. It is very common for car and some hotels to place a "hold" or lean on your card, and the $$$ can be considerable. You would be better of to ask about any hold on your card at the time of reservation so as not to be surprised at a maxed out credit card!

La Mirada...
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
15,205 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: I cant find a rental car place that would accept 18+ Help!

You need to be 21 to rent a car. Just the way it is. Kauai bus system is very inadequate. Reconsider going to Oahu. Stay in Waikiki where it's better NOT to have a car. The bus system is very good.

3Chihuahuas

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
16,188 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: I cant find a rental car place that would accept 18+ Help!

I believe 21 is lowest any of them will go. And even then there is a surcharge from age 21 up through 24.

Did you buy your air and pay for y our hotel already? If not, I agree with 3chi, you might want to pick another island with better transportation. When my son was your age he stayed on Waikiki and easily made it to the beaches and towns on the windward side.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
37,558 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: I cant find a rental car place that would accept 18+ Help!

I remember hearing years ago that travelers could get cheap cars here - they also rent to those under the regular car rental age. Not sure about them, but I would check if I had already booked my flights & lodging:

http://www.islandcars.net/index.htm

Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
25,953 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: I cant find a rental car place that would accept 18+ Help!

Try this one:

"If you are under 21 you can rent a car at U-haul Truck & Car Rental and Island Cars if you have proof of insurance and a cash deposit."

http://hawaiisuperguide.com/kauai-car-rental

LA
Level Contributor
9,326 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: I cant find a rental car place that would accept 18+ Help!

Wonder how much that cash deposit is.

La Habra, California
2 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: I cant find a rental car place that would accept 18+ Help!

I tried the islands cars and they accept 18+ and goin to cost about 29.95 per day for a standard car perfect

all over
Level Contributor
441 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: I cant find a rental car place that would accept 18+ Help!

You can rent a car at a few places but they charge you an insane fee + a cash deposit. They inspect the car with a fine tooth and comb when you are 18, so make sure to be anal when picking the car up and point out even the smallest of imperfections.

Riverside, CA
Level Contributor
660 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: I cant find a rental car place that would accept 18+ Help!

Some private individuals will rent their cars out for toursits. check craigslist and the Garden IslandNewspaper classifieds.