We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Starwood member but considering The Grand Hyatt!

Maryland
Level Contributor
145 posts
Save Topic
Starwood member but considering The Grand Hyatt!

Hey everyone,

I am coming to Kauai with my family- wife and 2 boys, 8 and 4. I'm a Starwood member and can get a free room ( a garden view with points) for 7 nights. However, I'm considering staying at the Grand Hyatt.

What do you guys think?

Mshikaji

Maryland
Level Contributor
145 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Starwood member but considering The Grand Hyatt!

Sorry coming in August... The 16-23rd.

California
Level Contributor
36,716 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Starwood member but considering The Grand Hyatt!

Free room for 7 nights? Go for it. I love the Hyatt but thats a big savings. That pays for a Napali boat ride, ATV ride, zipline and some really nice dinners. The Sheraton is a nice hotel on a good beach.

Buford, Georgia
Level Contributor
3,595 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Starwood member but considering The Grand Hyatt!

If Starwood is Sheraton, I'd definately go for the Poipu Sheraton, too. Nice location and pools!

California
Level Contributor
36,716 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Starwood member but considering The Grand Hyatt!

Good point, Sla, but I assumed it was Sheraton because they said "garden view". Another Starwood property is The Westin in Princeville. Still a nice timeshare resort and I would still stay for free there. If it IS Westin, how about staying the last few days at The Hyatt????

Maryland
Level Contributor
145 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Starwood member but considering The Grand Hyatt!

It is the Sheraton. The reason I was thinking of staying at the Hyatt are it's pools that my kids will enjoy. If for some reason the kids don't want to go to the beach one day the hotel has more stuff to offer unless I am wrong. The Westin does not have a beach and I'm only getting. Studio suite with a king bed and a sleeper sofa. I don't think that would be very comfortable. The ST. Regis is an option, it does not look that kid friendly to me.

Does the Sheraton have activities for kids and will the kids enjoy the hotel if they don't want to go to the beach?

Mshikaji

San Diego...
Level Contributor
5,801 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Starwood member but considering The Grand Hyatt!

There are probably a 1000 reviews on the Sheraton under the hotel tab. Might want to skim those.

The Sheraton's pool is nowhere near as kidtastic as the Hyatt's, but for $400 X 7, gotta think you'd have a lot more fun with the money some other way. The beach is MUCH better at Sheraton esp. for kids that size. You could always go to the Hyatt for a day to play in the pool if it really appeals to you.

Good call re St. Regis/Westin though the north shore is very nice in summer. Just not a big fan of either for the same reasons you state -- one has poor to no beach access without traveling, the other is pretty far up the snooty scale.

Maryland
Level Contributor
145 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Starwood member but considering The Grand Hyatt!

Can you go to Hyatt and use the pool of you are not staying there?

Arlington, VA
Level Contributor
1,428 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Starwood member but considering The Grand Hyatt!

No, you cannot use the Hyatt pools unless you stay there. However, you can walk around the grounds.

Maryland
Level Contributor
145 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Starwood member but considering The Grand Hyatt!

I've been reading the reviews and debating my decision. May be after renovations Sheraton is nicer. However, I want my kids to be occupied as well. We are coming from BI and will want a somewhat relaxing time in Kauai.

Orange County, CA
Level Contributor
870 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Starwood member but considering The Grand Hyatt!

Have you considered the Westin Princeville? More space, kitchenette is way handy when staying with kids. Its also closer to North Shore beaches in peak summer. They have a frequent shuttle that takes you to the St Regis beach. No resort fees too, saving you up to $175 on a seven day stay.

Personally, I'd maximize SPG's 5th Night Free, getting 5 nts for 48K, then head down to the Hyatt for the last two nights. Have you considered getting the Hyatt card? That will give you two nights for completely free after signing up.

Otherwise do the Sheraton for the last two days.

Were you planning on doing Cash & Points? I think you're limited to the Sheraton if so.