We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Organizing 'Things to do' into Schedule... we leave Monday.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
234 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Organizing 'Things to do' into Schedule... we leave Monday.

Hi

Just trying to organize the things we'd like to do into days... we're staying 4 nights in Lihue, 4 nights in Poipu. Here's a rough outline...

Day 1 - get car, pick up supplies, check into Lihue Hotel... dinner

Day 2 - Snorkel Ke'e, Anini

Day 3 - Waimea Canyon, Hike waterfall trail

Day 4 - Snorkel Tunnels

Day 5 - Helicopter Tour Napali Coast, check into Poipu Hotel

Day 6 - Spa Day

Day 7 - Snorkel Poipu Beach near Beach House Restaurant

Day 8 - ??? maybe zipline

Day 9 - Shop, The Horn, ???, Fly home in the evening

Other things we'd like to see... Jurassic Park trees near Allerton Gardens, Kalalau Lookout, Opaekaa Falls, Hanalei, Manawaiopuna Falls, Weeping Wall Waterfalls... not sure how to go about fitting them into our schedule.

Any suggestions, restaurants, or things we missed would be appreciated. Thanks!

California
Level Contributor
9,503 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Organizing 'Things to do' into Schedule... we leave Monday.

Day 2--Snorkel Ke'e, Tunnels, and then visit Hanalei and Hanalei Bay. Day 4--make another trip to North Shore --Hanalei, Anini, Lumahuli Garden; Day 6 or 7--include Allerton Garden tour; Day 3-- See Kalalau Lookout when you go to Waimea Canyon; stop at Pu'u o Kila Lookout. Day 8--Zipline with Outfitters-- www.outfitterskauai.com Do you have a guidebook? The Ultimate Kauai Guidebook is what we like. There's a lot more of Kauai that you could experience if you're interested.

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
23,604 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Organizing 'Things to do' into Schedule... we leave Monday.

Day 3 - do Waimea Canyon on another day from Po`ipu. MUCH less driving.

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Tucson
Level Contributor
3,295 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Organizing 'Things to do' into Schedule... we leave Monday.

Others have already given you good suggestions. As far as snorkeling on the north shore, you're going to need to be flexible on which day(s) you do that depending on ocean conditions. And Tunnels is certainly a much better option for snorkeling than Anini. Also agree with pzp that Waimea Canyon will be closer from Poipu so do it the last part of your trip.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
234 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Organizing 'Things to do' into Schedule... we leave Monday.

thanks, so I revised it a little... still a work in progress I guess. Does it make sense to do Tunnels and Ke'e in the same day? What's there to do in Hanalei, should it be a whole day?

day 1 - get car, supplies, check in - Lihue Hotel

day 2 - Snorkel Ke'e

Snorkel Tunnels

Visit Hanalei & Hanalei Bay

day 3 - Hanalei

Snorkel Anini

Lumahuli Garden

day 4 - Helicopter Tour Napali Coast

day 5 - Zipline with Outfitters

Check into hotel in Poipu

day 6 - Waimea Canyon

Hike Waterfall Trail

Kalalau Lookout

Pu'u o Kila Lookout

day 7 - Spa, Poipu Beach

day 8 - Snorkel Poipu Beach

(near Beach House Restaurant)

day 9 - Shop

The Horn

Depart in evening

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
16,708 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Organizing 'Things to do' into Schedule... we leave Monday.

Since you've got Ke'e Beach on your agenda you'll be going right through Hanalei. So not sure why you couldn't just fit Hanalei into your schedule on the same trip.

On that note here's what I recommend to people. Do not try to schedule every single thing. Just decide for each day the general area of the island you're going to be visiting. Keep your list of "wants" handy in the car along with a good guidebook. As you find you have some extra time on your hands fit some of them in as you go! No need to have a schedule of events. You're going to find that some of the things you scheduled you'll wonder why you bothered and then you'll come across those great things you didn't know about at all and didn't "schedule" but want to take them in. Leave yourself flexible to forego something on your schedule to fit in those impromptu moments.

I guess I just don't get travelling to Hawaii with daily itineraries.

California
Level Contributor
9,503 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Organizing 'Things to do' into Schedule... we leave Monday.

www.ntbg.org/gardens/limahuli-tours.php

Note that Limahuli Garden is closed on Sunday and Monday--not sure what day of the week Day 3 is. You probably would want an hour or so in Hanalei if you like to shop. Might also be a good place to have lunch. Don't forget to stop at the lighthouse in Kilauea.

Day 8--I doubt that you'll want to spend all day snorkeling at Lawa'i Beach. Check out the Allerton Garden tour; it's completely different from Limahuli.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
234 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Organizing 'Things to do' into Schedule... we leave Monday.

great advice, thanks very much... napaguy, we'll definitely keep things flexible and relaxed... just want to have an outline or we'll end up spending everyday at the hotel pool. which I guess is also good since we'll still be in Hawaii! thanks.

White Plains, New...
Destination Expert
for White Plains, Aruba
Level Contributor
6,398 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Organizing 'Things to do' into Schedule... we leave Monday.

The lighthouse and lookout are one of my favorite places. I had the beautiful poster on the door of my classroom. It was my "go to place". If you have kids, they will absolutely love watching the birds soar from the cliffs, with the sky sparkling above them and the ocean in front of them. So beautiful. I can see it now as I type this. Allow 1/2 hr. there. The continue your day....

Safe travels. Enjoy

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,874 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Organizing 'Things to do' into Schedule... we leave Monday.

Aloha from Kaua'i!

Manawaiopuna Falls can only be seen by helicopter - it is on private land and not accessible to the public.

I've never heard of "Weeping Walls" waterfalls - but I tend to think they might be on private land as well - if they are where I think they are it sounds like they might be part of the area around Mt. Wai'ale'ale.

Malama Pono,

Janet

Denver
Destination Expert
for Poipu
Level Contributor
3,355 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Organizing 'Things to do' into Schedule... we leave Monday.

There's a lot to do in Hanalei - all sorts of adorable shops and many restaurants. Then there's the bay, which is incredibly scenic (many scenes in The Descendents were filmed there). Walk down to the pier or just lounge on the sand.

Check out the Farmer's Market schedule under the FAQs to the right - there's one every day somewhere on the island so you should be able to fit one into your schedule - it's a good idea to go early in your trip so you have time to eat all the goodies you pick up. I loved the Hanalei market at 9:30 Sat. a.m., but I don't think you're still up north on Saturday.