We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

American changes flight times

Texas
Level Contributor
107 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
American changes flight times

Hi all - Just got a notice from American that our flight times have changed for the summer. Originally, our flight was leaving Austin at 7:40 connecting through LAX and arriving in Lihue at 1:20. Now we depart Austin at 12:30, connect through LAX and arrive in Lihue at 7:55. I'm thinking about changing our flights to leave Austin at 8:45, connect through DFW and Honolulu, arriving in Lihue at 1:20. Do any of you frequent Hawaii/Kauai travelers have a lot of experience with American? I usually try to book travel with as few connections as possible, but would it be worth it to ge there earlier? Thank you!

Volente, Texas
Level Contributor
43 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: American changes flight times

Maybe just my personal preference, but I always like getting to Hawaii earlier in the day. I like to get settled in, unpacked and ready for a nice dinner before crashing. Much less of a chance of delays than with later flights. Depending on where you are staying, arriving after dark makes it harder to find some places due to much less lighting in some of the resort areas. Haven't had problems with interisland flights. 8:45-1:20 sounds like very good connections. The downside would be the longer flight time from DFW.

California
Level Contributor
35,791 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: American changes flight times

If you don't mind so many stops, yes I too would change. The way it is now, you loose an entire day on the island. That stinks of AA. Will they allow you to change it?

Michigan
Level Contributor
2,832 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: American changes flight times

We fly American all the time - we fly to Dallas, connect to HNL and then to Lihue - we sure never got in "early" in the afternoon". Just curious what flights you would be taking out of Dallas? There is a AA flight out of Dallas leaving at 10:50 a.m. (flight 123) but that arrives in HNL at 2:15, then you need to switch to Hawaiian, about an hour wait at least - it would be dinner time when you got in????

Denver
Destination Expert
for Poipu
Level Contributor
3,349 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: American changes flight times

If this is your first trip to Kauai, I would try to arrive before dark. Kauai has two lane country roads that are not well lit or always well-signed, and a lot of the smaller resorts complexes have small signs that are hard to read in the dark. If you're staying at the Hyatt or St. Regis, of course, you won't have a problem finding it.... Due to flight delays and long layovers, my dad and stepmom arrived on the latest flight (10:30) and had a devil of a time making it down to Poipu.

I do hate connecting in HNL, though - you're SOCLOSE to Kauai and yet still so far away....

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,506 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: American changes flight times

We have been flying American for about 18 years, and our flight direct LAX into LIH , as vistors would arrive about 1:00 PM or so in the afternoon. Cannot remember exactly since we moved here...and flight times had to work out with the rest of our travel intinerary.

Now, since we live here, on our return, we are coming from the Caribbean , and Flight AA 285 LAX-LIH arrives about 8 pm.

It is what it is.....but, yep, as visitors , we liked arriving in the afternoon, drop off our duffels at Poipu Kai, and go to the market, and then come back and walk down to poipu beach, and then head upstairs to Brenneckes for a welcome drink and an easy meal at the bar.

Then it was Lights Out, and wake up early the next am for a hike over toward Maha'ulepu...then back for breakfast .and get on Kauai Time. Usually, our very first breakfast for each visit was at Joes On The Green.....the rest we made at our condo.

We pretty much keep life and adventures as easy as possible, and let it all flow.

Denny

Edited: 24 April 2012, 16:18
RiverCity
Level Contributor
46 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: American changes flight times

1:20 pm arrival is way better than 7:55 pm. .

Michigan
Level Contributor
2,832 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: American changes flight times

I do not see how a 1:20 arrival is going to work IF flying through Dallas. Been doing it for years and the only time we made it during daylight was when we spent the night in LA. Good luck and I agree it is best to arrive during daylight - we have been going for YEARS and this last trip by the time we arrived it was nightfall and raining, and let me tell you it was very hard to see, along with having construction headed to Poipu.

Texas
Level Contributor
107 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: American changes flight times

Thank you for your replies (and commiseration : ) ) everyone. It looks like AA has gotten rid of the flight that arrives around 1, so we have the choice of two connections hopefully getting in at 5ish or 1 connection getting in at 7:55. We originally booked our flight specifically to get in early and might have tried United if I could have seen the future, but I am trying to go with the flow. The thing is we usually try to limit our connections to decrease the potential for mechanical problems and other issues - the more connections the more the opportunity for problems is how we usually look at it. So we're considering the earlier flight or just coming in on the rescheduled flight at 8 and staying near the airport, then waking up, grocery shopping and heading to our rental house in Hanalei. I just can't decide. I'm going to think about it today and decide this evening - hopefully.

Texas
Level Contributor
107 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: American changes flight times

Maybe we should consider flying to LA the night before and taking the first flight out in the morning?

Texas
Level Contributor
107 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: American changes flight times

Sorry Kauaigerl - That was a typo. If we go through Dallas, we'll get there at 5:15. Thanks for noticing. That's an important point.