We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Details of the March storms

La Mirada...
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
16,163 posts
136 reviews
Save Topic
Details of the March storms

Interesting read in the GIN. I didn't know any of the dam was left at Ka Loko.

http://tinyurl.com/83f9jhj

3Chihuahuas

Wailua
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
1,834 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Details of the March storms

Very interesting, thanks for mentioning the Kaloko connection. I'm still trying to understand what source that info comes from. It's not in the NOAA bulletin they were originally referencing, that one is here:

www.prh.noaa.gov/hnl/hydro/pages/mar12sum.php

In any case, the place where the highway was washed out is indeed near the Kaloko dam, but it's one or two drainages away. They are connected by ditches, but unless the water flowed uphill, I don't see how they could be connected. And like you, I don't know the state of the Kaloko Dam nowadays, but it's not inconceivable that its remains are still there and that they have a monitoring station on it for safety. Plus, the rains and runoff were sufficient by themselves to cause damage, as happened almost identically on the Kapa'a bypass, no need to assume any dam incidents again. Yet I am curious about that info, where it came from, what it means, and what really happened.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
5,801 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Details of the March storms

Thought this thread got the ban hammer (ridiculous compared to some that stay alive).

Interesting article.

3. Re: Details of the March storms

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2013, 09:16