We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Free hula lessons

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
23,706 posts
57 reviews
Save Topic
Free hula lessons

Every Tuesday and Thursday at 3:30 pm, on the beach side of the Kapa`a Community Center, offered by halau Na Wahine o Pukana La. Anyone can drop in and join them any time at no charge.

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,880 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Free hula lessons

Aloha from Kaua'i!

Yes, the teenage girl who is in charge of this halau hula (hula school) used to dance in the same halau that I am in for quite a few years - we were sorry to see her go.

Malama Pono,

Janet

Middletown...
Level Contributor
865 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Free hula lessons

Thanks for the tip. The friends who will be accompanying us this year found free hula lessons on Tuesday evenings at the Church of the Pacific near Princeville. I don't have any more details than that. Is anybody familiar with these, are they given by a halau, etc?

Middletown...
Level Contributor
865 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Free hula lessons

I think this is the one my friend found: kauai-vacation-rentals.com/learning-hula/. IMO, an afternoon class would fit better with our vacation schedule, but interested to hear if anyone is familiar with these lessons.

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,880 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Free hula lessons

Aloha from Kaua'i!

Yes, I'm familiar with the Princeville halau hula that does the visitor hula classes - here is a link that tells you more in detail about it:

www.weddings-kauai.com/blessings/hula.html

The name of the halau hula there is: Halau Hula Na Lei Kupua.

It is a long-time hula school here with Kumu Hula (hula teacher) Susan Pa`iniu Floyd with guidance under the very reknowned Kumu Hula Frank Kawaikapuokalani Hewitt.

The halau hula mentioned initially here, is under the direction of 17 year old Teresa Huff, who as I understand it, generally teaches a basic hula such as "hukilau" or "Beautiful Kaua'i" for visitors. Teresa does not have the designation of Kumu Hula (hula teacher) at his time.

Malama Pono,

Janet

Edited: 26 April 2012, 02:09
Middletown...
Level Contributor
865 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Free hula lessons

Terrific info as always, mahalo Janet!

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
23,706 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Free hula lessons

Many of those who teach hula here cannot legitimately be called Kumu Hula because they didn't uniki (graduate) from special training in a halau. I don't think it makes a great deal of difference for visitors who want to learn. For that matter, it doesn't make a difference to many of our residents who study hula.

Edited: 26 April 2012, 03:56
Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,880 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Free hula lessons

Aloha from Kaua'i!

I agree "pzp" - if someone wants to learn a fun Hawaiian number- there would be nothing wrong with Teresa's class.

I do think that if you are actually interested in "learning" hula however - that you should go to a Kumu Hula and halau hula (hula school) who you feel comfortable with and whose background and style is a good match for you. I guess I'm speaking more to people who live here or are serious about hula to some extent.

People can "uniki" (graduate) in many ways, through their family, thru the blessings of their own Kumu Hula, etc. - but it is important to know that they have the proper training to take on their own halau hula.

JMHO.

Malama Pono,

Janet

Parksville, B.C.
Level Contributor
51 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Free hula lessons

We are in Kapaa now, and my 6 year old daughter would love hula lessons. I can't find a listing anywhere for the kapaa community center. Is there a phone number or street address you can pass along?

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,880 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Free hula lessons

Aloha from Kaua'i!

I really don't know if Teresa is doing those hula lessons any longer - I haven't seen anything about it for quite awhile (or on her FB page). However, the Kapa'a Neighborhood Center can be reached at: Center Manager: Marta Hulsman.....Ph. 808-822-1931

If you are in Kapa'a I would suggest going to the Coconut Marketplace to the "Ka U'i O Ka 'Aina" Cultural Center there - my own Kumu Hula - Leilani Rivera Low, does many classes there for visitors, including hula lessons, lei making, etc.

You can call her directly also at 808-651-0682 - or her husband Darryl at

808-651-0684 for a schedule of what time it is done.

She also puts on keiki hula (children's hula) performances there a couple of times a week at Center Stage - they are free and feature the younger students from her halau hula (hula school) performing Hula, Tahitian and Maori dances.

Malama Pono,

Janet

Edited: 17 November 2012, 19:03
idaho
Destination Expert
for Sun Valley, Ketchum, Beach Vacations, Idaho
Level Contributor
10,850 posts
451 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Free hula lessons

i am excited about our next trip to kauai, and do some free hula lessons. we had a '"house blessing" here in idaho...and people we ASTOUONDED that i would #1 , attempt the hula (in front of all these people) and #2, that i could, sort of, hula..for the mountain friends of mine...we love the hula...a hui ho