We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which one would you pick?

LaGrangeville, New...
Level Contributor
1,529 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Which one would you pick?

Spending 5-7nts in Kauai in October 2013 and then moving onto Maui for another 7 night. Two couples. Thought i would book a cottage in hanalei Bay.. was looking at this one...but its a 3 bedroom so I would pay more then I need but couple not find any 2 bedrooms that I liked.

www.parrishkauai.com/kauai-cottages/nalub/

But, then I keep leaning towards south Kauai... ..

Thinking of the Hyatt or maybe this house .

http://www.parrishkauai.com/kauai-homes/naia/

As you can see I am all over the place. Any thoughts?

La Mirada...
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
15,668 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which one would you pick?

Nalu Cottage is the one from The Descendants. I would stay there in a heartbeat! A frequent poster, sallyho, just got back from a long stay at Nalu Cottage. I'm sure she could answer any questions you might have.

www.tripadvisor.com/members-forums/sallyho

3Chihuahuas

California
Level Contributor
9,517 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which one would you pick?

I'd pick the one in Hanalei, but I get the feeling you'd prefer the one in Poipu, which isn't a bad thing--we split our stay between the two areas every year.

Seattle, WA
Level Contributor
68 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Which one would you pick?

FYI while you plan, Parrish has a 7 night minimum on all (I believe) their houses. Both places look terrific!

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
16,708 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Which one would you pick?

All things weatherwise being equal I'd pick the Hanalei Bay location. It's a fabulous beach for swimming and relaxing. The only caveat is October can begin the transitional time for the north shore and it's a greater gamble what the surf and weather conditins will be. Early October, I'd say go for it. That said I've been there on many beautiful days in October and November. The Poipu location is in a very nice and quiet neighborhood of private homes . While you wouldn't have Hanalei Bay at your front door you'll have beautiful views of the water and sunsets. Tough choice.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
5,801 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which one would you pick?

Most of heavily touristed parts of Maui is more like the Poipu side weather wise. Maybe go north on Kauai for the contrast? Both look top drawer.

Edited: 29 April 2012, 08:52
San Diego...
Level Contributor
5,801 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which one would you pick?

ack. edit from he77. Parts ..... are.......

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Catalina Island
Level Contributor
14,500 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which one would you pick?

We've stayed in Hale Naia probably 10 or more times. We love this location! It's very private but has it's own stairs to Baby's Beach. The master bedroom is amazing and the views are incredible! The guest bedroom is also amazing. We have stayed here with my kids and other couples. Newly remodeled. Quiet neighorhood but close to all of Poipu including Kukui'ula Shopping Village and The Beach House restaurant. I could go on and on about Hale Naia. If you any specific questions, let me know. It's a fabulous house and we love it! That would be my 1st choice, for sure!

I've also looked at Nalu Beach House for a furture stay. Looks great but I have not stayed there, yet.

LaGrangeville, New...
Level Contributor
1,529 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Which one would you pick?

Thanks for your opinions... I will continue to look into it..

Martik - I was reading a little about the house and someone said there are bikes there to use? If so how many? is there a path or can your ride your bike to town? Also, I think one review said there is snorkeling right out the back is that true? How long up to Princeville from there? Do they supply beach chairs or blankets, beach towels?

Thanks for your input...

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Catalina Island
Level Contributor
14,500 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Which one would you pick?

I do remember seeing bikes in the garage the last time we were there but I honestly don't remember much about them. I think there were two? The house sits on Hoona Road which is a quiet, residential neighorhood. There really are not any bikes paths to speak of but you could ride down to Spouting Horn along Lawai Road or over to the Hyatt. It would be all surface streets but the speed limit is 25 through all of Poipu.

There are tons of beach towels in the house. We always brought our own beach chairs but I'm pretty sure there is a nice supply of chairs, umbrellas and other beach stuff in the garage. We started staying here in 2001 and there has always been a nice supply of beach stuff to use. I suspect that now the house is part of Parrish's "Elite" collection, the property manager will make sure there's plenty of things for you to use.

It usually takes us over an hour to get to Princeville, depending on traffic. It's a great drive and very scenic! If you want to drive all the way to the end of the road at Ke'e Beach, allocate another 30 minutes or so.

Regarding snorkeling. The bay that Hale Nai'a sits on is directly across from Kuhio Shores. It's really not a great snorkeling area though I've seen tons of people out there over the years. If the conditions are just right (very calm), it would fine to snorkel there. A better place is just past Kuhio Shores in front of The Beach House restaurant called Lawai Beach. It's less than 1/2 a mile from the house.

United States
Level Contributor
337 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Which one would you pick?

in my opinion, the bays on each side of the beach house are some of the best snorkeling!! the catch is, they aren't "beachy" and the entrance from the left site is rocky and difficult. you are guaranteed turtles bc of the cleaning station in that area...