We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Queens Bath

Sparks, Nevada
Level Contributor
1,914 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Queens Bath

Do you you think it will be safe to visit Queens Bath, while I'm on Kauai just in the next few weeks?

I read it's safe in the summer months...

I have never been there, it looks Amazing on Hawaii Gaga video!

Kilauea, Hawaii
Level Contributor
687 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Queens Bath

Although technically it is never safe, as a rogue wave can come and hit you at any time, the chances are less in the spring and summer time than in the winter.

I say, just take the hike down and if the waves look rahter mad, then turn back, if not then go andd enjoy yourself.

That is my two cents.

Hana, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,426 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Queens Bath

I have no useful information at all of course. Be safe regardless Islandgirl!

And in case you do visit "Queen's Bath", then maybe they should rename it "Lori's Bath". :)

Caddy (bending down on one knee)

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,997 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Queens Bath

Aloha from Kaua'i!

If you do a search here on the Kaua'i TA forum on "Queen's Bath" you will get many long threads devoted to the safety issues of this place.

Basically - it is an unsafe place to go - and the worst time to visit is during the winter months when the North Shore has high surf and rough ocean conditions. A wave can come in and over that lava shelf at any time and wash you into the open ocean - far from any assistance.

It has been rated one of the top 3 most dangerous places here on Kaua'i - and I know a couple of local firefighters who also do search and rescue here on Kaua'i - their advice to me has always been to just stay away from it. I believe they know best and that is just what I've done.

With so many amazingly beautiful places here on Kaua'i, there is no reason to go to one of the most dangerous places here during the most dangerous time of the year to go there - enjoy some of our other beautiful beaches, vistas, and trails instead!

Malama Pono,

Janet

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,997 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Queens Bath

Aloha from Kaua'i!

Found this information in one of my guidebooks:

Carved into a lava rock shelf below the cliffs of Princeville on Kauai’s north shore, the scenic yet treacherous Queens Bath has been the site of dozens of drownings.

Despite a sign at Queens Bath warning of the dangers, and even an impromptu unofficial tally of all the drowning victims on another sign down among the rocks, Queens Bath continues to pose dangers to tourists as well as locals. Many of the people who have died at Queens Bath were not even in the pool, but only standing on the rocks by the water’s edge.

Tourists visiting Queens Bath are often unaware of the unpredictable nature of waves. There may be twenty minutes of calm followed by an oversized tumultuous wave arriving and smashing violently into the rocks right where people may be standing. Queens Bath turns into a tumultuous whirlpool that can pull people right out into the sea.

Describes it pretty well IMO.

Malama Pono,

Janet

Mentioned in this post
Princeville
Princeville
Kauai, HI
Soddy Daisy...
Level Contributor
1,804 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Queens Bath

Been there and done that....in July 2003. Ocean was calm; the water in the bath was a little stale due to lack of wave action. Frankly, QB is a bit over-rated. You see essentially the same thing at Spouting Horn. I have never had the inclination to revisit in 5 return trips to Kauai.

The intrigue of QB is like the Uncle Remus story in The Song of the South where Brer Rabbit begged Brer Fox not to throw him in the briar patch, hoping all along that Brer Fox would indeed fling him into the briar patch. People want to see the forbidden sight...QB ...because they are told it's dangerous. Now maybe if there was a Mai Tai stand at the bottom of the trail.....

Orange County, CA
Level Contributor
870 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Queens Bath

We avoided it the first two times as we were there in Nov and September. Because we used common sense.

We went during a July trip, and I thought it was beautiful. Fun hike down there, big lava field. I don't see the big deal about getting in the 'pool', we just walked around and took pictures. There were a couple of turtles feeding there. Some spearfishers also started out there. Calm, calm seas, so we used regular caution (don't put your back to the ocean). A nice distraction to fill an hour. I probably won't go back for a while since we have little kids, and not because of the danger, but because the path to get there is fairly tricky. And there's not much to do. But it's pretty.

I'm glad it's not completely shut down because of idiots who don't research/exercise caution/manage risk properly.

Sparks, Nevada
Level Contributor
1,914 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Queens Bath

Thanks for all of your input, after all that is why I ask you!! I really did not know of the danger, other than not to go in the winter months, and not to go into the pool if the surf is high... I'm not a ocean newbie, or a newbie to Hawaii for that matter. I like to be informed though.

Thanks for the advice.

Lori

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
18,176 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Queens Bath

Professional photos and videos with intruiging music can make it look very appealing. I'm with RockyTop on this one. Overrated.

Hana, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,426 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Queens Bath

Well, I don't know Napaguy. I'll think I'll stop by the Mai Tai stand, BUT go no further. ;)

California
Level Contributor
9,913 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Queens Bath

Did you read "momfromma's" Trip Report today? You might find her comments about Queen's Bath interesting.

Edited: 02 May 2012, 23:09