We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report -- arriving in Kauai

Glenside...
Level Contributor
336 posts
59 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report -- arriving in Kauai

Kauai -- Day 1

The sadness of leaving Oahu was starting to fade a little as the pilot welcomed us to Kauai. We got off the plane and walked from the tarmac. The verdent green of the island was the first thing I noticed. The air was fresh and clean -- mingled with the fragrances of the lush island vegetation. I knew we were in a heavenly place from that very moment!

We picked up our Hertz rental car and with map in hand, we were off to enjoy the second chapter of our adventure.

It was really easy to navigate and find our way to our new home.

We are staying at the Waipouli Beach Resort. It had been a tough decision but we do love a good pool! At check-in they told us that in order to give us a top floor room, we would be in a two-bedroom unit. Who would have thoiught that Flat Meghan would have her own room.

The rooms are amazing.. The master bedroom has a king sized bed with a flat screen TV and a really cool shuttered window that can open up to a view of the extra large sunken tub. The kitchen is equipped with top of the line appliances that I will have to find the user manuals for! Wolf stove and oven, Sub-zero fridge, and the most beautiful granite topped counters. A stylishly appointed living room with flat screen TV and an eating area completed the setting.

We unpacked and then set out exploring the lay of the lands. The bar is appropriately called "The Oasis". It was Happy hour so we stayed for a Bass Ale, took in the beautiful ocean views, and marveled at the clear water and the beautiful blues surrounding us. We picked up some towels and soaked our bodies in the "adults only" hot tub and met a charming couple from Australia. We exchanged stories and had a few good laughs.

Our final task for settling in day would be a visit to the shopping center across the street. We grabbed a cart -- food shopping had never been this exciting before. I perused the offerings and we bought some salmon fillets and accompaniments. We got the ingredients for rum punch -- island style and headed back to prepare our first meal. I'm a pretty good cook but this food had an extra ingredient -- Kauai air gave it a special flavor. We savored every bite, and enjoyed a meal cooked in our own "home".

The dishwasher cleaned up the dinner stuff, the washer machine got our clothes ready for the next week and we headed to bed Our adrenaline had energized us to stay up long enough for the evening news!

As I drifted off to sleep, I packed away the happy memories of Oahu to be revisted in the years to come. Good memories make a strong marriage. The love of my life was next to me and we were ready to be embraced by all the wonders that Kauai has in store for us!

Lisburn, United...
Level Contributor
609 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report -- arriving in Kauai

Great posting for day one. I read all of your trip reports on the Oahu Forum. Hope you have a great stay on Kauai. I look forward to the rest of your reports.

Hope you have a great vacation.

John.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
4,965 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report -- arriving in Kauai

Fabulous ... I love Kauai ... and look forward to reading what you get up to next. Hope you slept well ready for your new adventures.

Philadelphia...
7 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report -- arriving in Kauai

Hey Sissy, sounds like you and Lou are having the time of your life. Wish I was there, you know G-Man could really make a gourmet meal on that Wolf!Don't forget my pink sand, and find out if Barking Sounds really does sound like Shannon greeting the mailman! Love you, can't wait to see where we're going next with you!

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
Level Contributor
19,436 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report -- arriving in Kauai

Sounds like Kauai knocked your socks off like it did us years ago. After visiting all the other islands, we landed in Kauai and knew it was for us.

Waiting to read your reports.

Brisbane
Level Contributor
7,159 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Report -- arriving in Kauai

Sounds like a great first day in Kauai..I look forward to reading more. Enjoy your trip!

Alaska
Level Contributor
10,475 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Report -- arriving in Kauai

I am so looking forward to your reports on Kauai! Your reports have just been the best and I am so happy you both are having such a wonderful time. Deb

California
Level Contributor
35,534 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip Report -- arriving in Kauai

Wow! If Safeway thrilled you, I can't wait to hear what you think of the beaches.

Cute report!

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
37,935 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip Report -- arriving in Kauai

Ah . . . there is nothing like stepping off the plane in Kauai - yes! Can't wait to hear the rest . . . . mahalo! :)

middletown,ohio
Level Contributor
631 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip Report -- arriving in Kauai

One word MORE I need to read more.

Thanks for sharing your trip with us and it is amazing how here at home we dread going to the grocery store but we too found it a pleasure to see how many different things we could buy and try.

La Mirada...
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
15,303 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trip Report -- arriving in Kauai

I think I see another Kaua ‘i addict in the making! And with a gift for words. Silly point, but I'm so glad you found the grocery shopping fun, I do too. There is just so much stuff to try you can't get on the mainland - grocery shopping is an adventure in itself!

Thanks for sharing with us and I'm looking forward to more!

3Chihuahuas