We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rental Cars

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
774 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Rental Cars

I have looked into booking a car, and have found Dollar and Thrifty to have the best rates. Has anybody had any experience with these companies? Any other suggestions?

Rebecca

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
386 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Rental Cars

I just came back from kauai and booked with Dollar. I received a good rate for a convertible with them. The car was clean and I had no problems. Check in was fairly quick and had no hassles other than them trying to sell you to upgrade or buy insurance or add a additional driver, the usual bs that comes with renting a car. I would go with them again if I found a good deal. Im sure as long as you stick with the big companies you shouldnt have any problems. Just look for a rate you think is reasonable.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
774 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rental Cars

Thanks! Do you know how much an additional driver costs?

Rebecca

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
203 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Rental Cars

I think an additional driver is around $20-25 per day!

Take a look at hawaiidrive-o.com's website. If you book with Thrifty on that site they waive the additional driver fee.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
386 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Rental Cars

No it wasnt that high. I believe she told me 6 or 9 dollars extra a day.

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
203 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Rental Cars

Ok sorry. Maybe I'm thinking of something else.

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
1,070 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Rental Cars

Hi Rebecca,

Both Dollar and Thrifty have counters at the Lihue Airport - and are owned by the same company, so they have the same car fleet. Here are the differences:

Dollar keeps their cars at the Airport, so the shuttle ride to the rental office is only a 1-2 minutes. Dollar's rates are for ONE driver. To add a 2nd driver (even if spouse) costs $6 per day. So keep that in mind when comparing rates with Avis, Budget, etc., who do not charge to add your spouse as 2nd driver.

Thrifty keeps their cars about a mile down the road, so the shuttle ride is 3-4 minutes, but you need to pay attention where the rental office is, so you know where to return it. Their bottom line rate (with taxes/surcharges) is usually slightly lower than Dollar, because you are not paying as high of an Airport Concessionaire fee, because they only have a booth at the airport, they don't keep their cars there. Thrifty normally charges $5 per day to add a 2nd driver, even if spouse, but you can get that waived if you book through www.HawaiiDrive-o.com

The $20 per day fee that AForceWife mentioned probably included the "young driver fee" combining the $5 extra driver fee with the $15 young driver fee, per day. Both of those are waived if booked through HawaiiDrive-o.com

In my opinion, Dollar gives better customer service than Thrifty, but that just is my experience.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
774 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Rental Cars

Thanks, this is great advice!

Chandler, AZ
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Rental Cars

We were there the week of Mar 18-25...booked a Chevy 4Dr Malibu through priceline.com for $14/day...Costco would have been $18/day...

Omaha, Nebraska
Level Contributor
1,410 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Rental Cars

Thanks for the tip, however we went and checked on Kayak and got the same rate as Priceline quoted. By going through kayak we dealt directly with Dollar and didn't have to exchange credit card info.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,096 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Rental Cars

Thanks for sharing this information! BTW, what is "kayak"?