We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Marriott Lihue or South shore for April 10th

folsom
Level Contributor
242 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Marriott Lihue or South shore for April 10th

HELP HELP HELP!

I am booked at the Lihue Marriott but am trying to switch over to the Waiohai Beach Club Marriott on Poipu beach.

Taking a poll on how many would stay in Lihue versus making the switch to Waiohai.

Thanks.

California
Level Contributor
10,862 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Marriott Lihue or South shore for April 10th

The Marriott in Lihue is quite beautiful but I like the location in the south better.

The Lihue Marriott is on a bay and the scenery is not as lovely as it is in the south.

BC Canada
Level Contributor
511 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Marriott Lihue or South shore for April 10th

I would definitely choose the Waiohai between the two. Especially after the flood at the Lihue Marriott - I think it will take awhile to clean that up.

St. Louis
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Marriott Lihue or South shore for April 10th

It depends on what you like in a 'hotel'. On our first trip to Kauai, we were booked at the Lihue Marriott and it was not what we preferred. It has a large hotel feel and we prefer more of a condominium atmosphere. The first day, we took a ride around the island, saw the Marriott Waiohai and checked out of the Marriott Lihue and into the Waiohai. We love it there, it is a more low key, with a very comfortable feel, at least to us. We liked everything about the Waiohai so much we bought a timeshare and look forward to retuning every year. Don't get me wrong, the Marriott Kauai is a beautiful place and if you like the 'full service' type resort it is great. There are multiple resaurants, shops etc.

The loaction of the Waiohai is, in my opinion, better. There is great snorkeling a few steps from the Waiohai, it is not on the bay so the scenery is better and there are many restaurants to eat at close by. The Waiohai has a restaurant that is good, but not fancy.

I know that there has been flood damage at the Lihue Marriott, but from what I read, it sounds like they are cleaning it up if it already isn't. One thing to note about the Waiohai is that there is construction on an adjacent property. There was a hotel next to the Waiohai that was destroyed during hurricane Eniki (sp?). They are just now rebuilding after many years. I don't know how disreuptive this will be, I'll find out on May 7!

I hope this is some help in making your decision. Either way, the Marriott folks are great.

folsom
Level Contributor
242 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Marriott Lihue or South shore for April 10th

thanks for the post...looks like i'm "stuck" at the Lihue Marriott, as the Waiohai is totally booked.

Still looking forward to being close to the Kalapaki Beach Hut and Hamura's.

Anyone know if and when Lydgate Beach and Kalamani Park are to open?

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
24,521 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Marriott Lihue or South shore for April 10th

The big advantage of staying at Lihue is that the location gives you easy access to most of the island. If you stay in Poipu you add at least 30 minutes to your drive to the north shore. You're undoubtedly going to want to explore the island. The Marriott Lihue is a nice enough place to stay and convenient to a couple of good restaurants and some shopping.

Lubbock, Texas
Level Contributor
5 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Marriott Lihue or South shore for April 10th

Have been to both. Hands down--no contest. WAIOHAI BC gets my vote.