We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report -- Heading South and Blue Dolphin NaPali Cruise

Glenside...
Level Contributor
336 posts
58 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report -- Heading South and Blue Dolphin NaPali Cruise

Woke up at 6:00 to the aroma of Kauai coffee. Am I still dreaming? Nope -- all I can say is God bless the person who invented the automatic coffee pot. We took our time savoring the views of the mouintains with the sunlight peeking at us. I got excited -- there's a rainbow. Wait there's another! Multiple rainbows danced across the sky -- the pot of gold at the end was surely the island of Kauai. I was in love with my new home.

We packed up and were on the road by 7:15 -- I don't like to drive so my husband has been patiently carting me around for the last 40 years. Yep, "Driving Miss Patty". I am the navigator and he is the pilot. Believe me piloting with me for a navigator can be challenging at times but usually with a good map in hand we can easily get "from here to there"!

We were heading south so our first stop would be the Opaeka Falls and Poliahu Heiau. We were treated to glorious views of the Wailua River Valley. I could understand why the Hawaiian people belelived the place to be sacred and so special. An inner peace envelopes you as you gaze at the falls cascading over the rocks -- you can hear the power of the water, and feel an occasional spray when the wind shifts.

At the town of Hanama'ulu, we drove into the Kapaia valley and onward to the Wailua Falls viewpoint. The falls were majestic -- like a twin bridal veil! No wonder they used it for the opening scenes of "Fantasy Island".

We continued on our journey and as we passed the Marriott we decided to stop in and see how we could have spent our children's inheritence! The grounds are opulent, the beach beautiful and the pool was to die for. We did get a nice view of the coast and had a peak at Duke's.

We continued through on our way for a glimpse of Nawiliwili Harbor. We passed one of my favorite stores from home -- K-Mart -- it was calling but I'm on island time now. No time for shopping, too much to experience!

We continued South taking in all the sites. The tree tunnel was a sight to behold. I asked my chauffeur to make a U-turn so that we could pass through it again! Our next planned stop was the "Spouting Horn". We had a blast there -- of water and with the other gawkers. We all stood there with our cameras, waiting for the blowhole to erupt. We were rating each one -- waiting for a ten! Even the sounds it made were a delight.

We were getting hungry, so we headed to Koloa for lunch. Sueoka's Market did not disappoint. We shared the Mahi Mahi Plate lunch -- it was onolicious! We walked around to stretch our legs and let lunch settle in our bellies.

We drove to the Kauai Coffee Company and I loved it. I'm a coffee addict so I really enjoyed the self-guided walking tour. The grounds are beautiful and you really can learn a lot about coffee growing. There are samples of all the different blends that they produce. I was in caffeine heaven!

Next stop, Hanapepe -- Kauai's Biggest Little Town. We walked down the main street of this charming little town. We window shopped and stopped in a few galleries. The highlight for us was crossing the swinging bridge. I felt like I was with Jack Sparrow swinging across the river -- it made for some fun photos!

We checked our time and realized that we had just enough time to get to 'Ele'ele and check in for our Blue Dolphin sunset cruise. I was a little nervous about reports of people who had gotten seasick but we prepared ourselves for the day with multiple doses of Dramamine.

Captain Gregg, Taylor, and Heather would be our crew for the day. After a brief and humorous safety orientation, we were ready to embark on our cruise to the Na Pali Coast.

Our boat was not too crowded and most of the other guests didn't get their sea legs as quickly as we did. For the first hour of the sail, we were perched at the tip of the bow. I was truly having my Titanic moment. It was fantastic! The Hawaiian Spinner Dolphins danced in the wake of the boat, riding the waves.

The water started to get really rough, we hung on with the waves splashing on our faces, I was soaked and loving every second. It started to rain, we didn't care -- we were wet already. I slipped into my poncho and laughed like a teenager. We looked around and realized everyone else had retreated to the cabin. We had the front of the boat to ourselves and it was glorious.

We were really churning in the water now. The Captain asked us to take a seat. With Heather's help, I was able to navigate to a perch on the top deck. The cliffs were getting more spectacular as we continued up the coast. We saw sea caves, and waterfalls and couldn't tear ours eyes from the coastline. The sun came out and we were treated to rainbows mixing with the verdent colors of the vertical cliffs. Too soon, it was time to turn around. It was hard to believe we had been sailing for over two hours already!

After the Caprtain turned the boat, the crew hoisted the sails. They cranked up the music, opened the bar and served a delicious dinner. The meal was scrumptious: Terriaki Chicken, Kahlua Pork, rice, salad, fresh pineapple, and chocolate chip cookies -- a meal fit for a king of the pirates! We ate and hummed along to the tunes while enjoying Mai Tais and Heinekens. We witnessed a fantastic sunset over the water. The boat docked at 7:30. Mahalo, Blue Dolphin for a thrilling day!

The drive home was arduous -- we were tired and it is really dark! We took our time and arrived home safely. My head hit the pillow at 8:30 and I said my thank you prayers -- Kauai had taken us by the hand and helped us live out a fantasy -- all our romantic dreams came true. We discovered so many things but most importantly, we rediscovered the love of 40 years together!

Glenside...
Level Contributor
336 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report -- Heading South and Blue Dolphin NaPali Cruise

Well -- here it is the first full day in Kauai -- it has been fantastic so far -- the next installment will include our trip up the Wailua River and Smith Family Luau -- heading to bed -- tomorrow is a much needed day of chillaxing!

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
4,965 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report -- Heading South and Blue Dolphin NaPali Cruise

Again thank you .... it feels like we are there with you.

Sleep tight!

middletown,ohio
Level Contributor
632 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report -- Heading South and Blue Dolphin NaPali Cruise

Beautifully written, I felt as if I was right there with you.

Can't wait till the next days activities.

Chisago City...
Level Contributor
456 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report -- Heading South and Blue Dolphin NaPali Cruise

So nice! Felt like I was there. Thanks!

Philadelphia...
7 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Report -- Heading South and Blue Dolphin NaPali Cruise

I thought my cheeks were wet from the waves and rain on this trip, but realized I was crying because I am so happy that you are living your dream!

I am so glad that you finally made your plans for this trip, maybe when I retire, you can be the docent on my trip to Hawaii! I love the pictures on FB, keep them coming! Love you!

Frisco, Texas
Level Contributor
1,594 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Report -- Heading South and Blue Dolphin NaPali Cruise

Your reports (O'ahu and now Kaua'i) are some of the best I have ever read on TA. You're going to the same places and doing the same things as others have done; yet, your writing imparts a special feeling that comes through loud and clear. You can truly feel how much fun you are having and how much you are enjoying yourselves.

Mahalo for letting us all be there with you! Looking forward to more.

Chesterfield, Mich.
Level Contributor
3,676 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip Report -- Heading South and Blue Dolphin NaPali Cruise

Love it! Thank you again. Dare I say, I think you are probably hooked on Hawaii?!

Alaska
Level Contributor
10,713 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip Report -- Heading South and Blue Dolphin NaPali Cruise

Thank you for bringing Kauai alive in my imagination with wonderful writing skills. I felt like I was discovering the island with you this morning! Your traveling style is a mirror of our own and I believe a visit to Kauai is going to happen sooner rather than later. So glad you are having the time of your life. Being able to make dreams come true is a blessing.

Trabuco Canyon...
Level Contributor
925 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip Report -- Heading South and Blue Dolphin NaPali Cruise

Thank you for taking the time to Share, feels like I am right their with you

North Myrtle Beach...
Level Contributor
352 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trip Report -- Heading South and Blue Dolphin NaPali Cruise

Your enthusiasm is contagious!!! I love to read your happy, wonderful, descriptive reports. I feel as if I am there with you and I love it, but I still have over 300 days before I set foot on "Beautiful Kaua'i"!!