We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Accomadation with toddler in Princeville or Hanalei

Dubbo, Australia
Level Contributor
366 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Accomadation with toddler in Princeville or Hanalei

Hi Everyone,

I am once again getting overwhelmed by the large number of properties to wade through on the internet so am looking for some tips from people who have stayed in Princeville and/or Hanalei.

Firstly, what is the pro's and con's of staying in either location?

We are looking for self contained accomadation for 5 or 6 nights in October. We are travelling with a 20 month old toddler so are looking for a kid friendly place and a place that supplies a porta cot.

We will have a car but it would still be nice to be walking to distance to beaches, shops etc and of course the much loved ocean view would be nice.

I'm not sure what to say my budget it because I am not sure what is realistic. Up to $130-150/night would be nice, but is that just dreaming??

Thanks in advance

M

Mentioned in this post
Princeville
Princeville
Kauai, HI
Hanalei
Hanalei
Kauai, HI
California
Level Contributor
39,502 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Accomadation with toddler in Princeville or Hanalei

As far as finding a place with a porta cot, that is tough. You might need to rent one through readyrentals.

http://www.readyrentals.com/

You might like The Westin in Princeville but it will be tough to find anything there in your price range. It is very toddler friendly. Hanalei Bay Resort (where I own as a disclaimer) has a really nice sandy beach area at the pool for toddlers and a lovely lagoon looking pool. You can find something there in your price range but remember to add in cleaning and taxes. Rent through private owners only on sites like Parrish, VRBO or Summit Pacific.

Hanalei is a wonderful place to stay but there are no condos just homes and they can be pricey. You might find something like a guest cottage here. The advantage is being close to the beach and walking distance to the cute town of Hanalei. In Princeville you have a lot of condo options and a pool but only a few complexes (like HBR) have beach access. You are close to the Princeville Shopping Center and 10 minutes down the highway to Hanalei.

Happy planning.

summitpacificinc.com/hanalei_bay_resort.html

http://www.parrishkauai.com/hanalei-rentals/

Mentioned in this post
Princeville
Princeville
Kauai, HI
Hanalei
Hanalei
Kauai, HI
Denver
Destination Expert
for Poipu
Level Contributor
3,469 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Accomadation with toddler in Princeville or Hanalei

We stayed at Wyndham Bali Hai Villas last April with a 2.5 yo and a 7.5 month old, and it was a lovely property with great pools, though no beach access or ocean view. They supplied a pack n play and we rented a high chair from someone I found on Craigslist.

If your choice is only between Hanalei and Princeville, I personally would pick Hanalei. Princeville is nice but there aren't a lot of services right there, so besides walking to the Foodland and the nearby playground or St. Regis (and it's rather crappy little beach), there's not a whole lot there, so you'll spend a lot of time in the car getting to the beach/other attractions.

Have you totally ruled out Poipu? Everyone has their favorite side of the island, and with little kids, I think the South re is just more accessible and easier to get around. If you're flexible, look at Nihi Kai or Kiahuna - there are 2 BR Nihi Kai condos on VRBO for $159/night or you can get a one BR at Kiahuna for $169.

You can read my trip report and review of WBHV at http://kauaiflamingos.blogspot.com

Mentioned in this post
Hanalei
Hanalei
Kauai, HI
Princeville
Princeville
Kauai, HI
Poipu
Poipu
Kauai, HI
California
Level Contributor
9,905 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Accomadation with toddler in Princeville or Hanalei

"or St. Regis (and it's rather crappy little beach), " Gee, I've spent a few nice hours at this beach, Pu'u Poa, and the word "crappy" never entered my mind as a word to describe it. :(

Denver
Destination Expert
for Poipu
Level Contributor
3,469 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Accomadation with toddler in Princeville or Hanalei

Sorry, 22, but there are so many more beautiful beaches on the island and I found it frustrating to have to drive to all of them (as loading up small kids and their gear is tiresome).

Yes, if I had to choose between no beach and Pu'u Poa, I'd choose Pu'u Poa. BUT if I had to choose between Hanalei Bay and Pu'u Poa? No contest. Of course, IMHO, the keiki lagoon at Poipu would be perfect for the OP.

Mentioned in this post
Hanalei Bay
Hanalei Bay
389 Reviews
Kauai, HI
Poipu
Poipu
Kauai, HI
California
Level Contributor
39,502 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Accomadation with toddler in Princeville or Hanalei

I can't wait to get to that "crappy" beach. I love the shade trees (great for toddlers), views of the mountains, and it seems to be good enough for people paying $600+ a night or more at the St Regis. It is a rocky area so my suggestions is to have water shoes on. Is it the best beach on the North Shore? No, but "crappy" is a pretty tough word.

6. Re: Accomadation with toddler in Princeville or Hanalei

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2013, 18:16