We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Captain Andy's Southern Star vs WOK

nj
Level Contributor
645 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Captain Andy's Southern Star vs WOK

We will be staying on the north shore in July w/ our DD who is 6. We want to see the Napali Coast. I am debating btwn the Southern Star dinner cruise and a morning air tour w/ Wings over Kauai. Our daughter is adventurous, she has no problems w/ boats or planes. This is our first trip to Hawaii and I was just wondering if anyone with experience had any advice to tip the scales for us. Thanks in advance for your time.

Arlington, VA
Level Contributor
1,416 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Captain Andy's Southern Star vs WOK

I've done both and preferred the Southern Star hands down. When we went, the Na Pali coast was shrouded in mist, giving it a mystical otherworldly feel. Service is first class and it is more of a complete experience than flying. When I get home, I'll post a link to my Kaua'i pictures, which has pictures of both trips.

California
Level Contributor
9,314 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Captain Andy's Southern Star vs WOK

Since you're staying on the North Shore, I'd take the morning tour with Na Pali Catamaran. www.napalicatamaran.com We took our grandkids last July, and they loved it!

California
Level Contributor
35,583 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Captain Andy's Southern Star vs WOK

The boat experience will be much more fun and I agree why drive all the way to do the Southern Star when there are good boat tours out of the North. I am doing the Holo Holo trip next week and will report back. I love WOK but I think if I had to choose just one it be the boat. Book early for all tours out of the North Shore.

Texas
Level Contributor
149 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Captain Andy's Southern Star vs WOK

I would do a boat trip to see the NaPali Coast. There is nothing like it. I have been to Kauai many times definitely a Kauai addict. You cannot go wrong whatever boat you choose. I have done 12 boat trips of the NaPali Coast and enjoyed everyone.

Since you are staying on the North Shore I would go with theNa Pali Catamaran If the conditions are right they can go into the sea caves. They book up fast since they only take about 16 people per trip.

The Southern Star is lovely, comfortable and has a very good dinner but you would have to drive to the South Shore.

Brenda

nj
Level Contributor
645 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Captain Andy's Southern Star vs WOK

Thank you all for the helpful advice.

Skidmore, Texas...
Level Contributor
159 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Captain Andy's Southern Star vs WOK

I'm got both booked...and I'm darned happy about it...30 days!!

Skidmore, Texas...
Level Contributor
159 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Captain Andy's Southern Star vs WOK

Darned auto correct...I've got both booked...

nj
Level Contributor
645 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Captain Andy's Southern Star vs WOK

Good for you, you have the right idea!

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
Level Contributor
19,470 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Captain Andy's Southern Star vs WOK

I love boating and was blown away by the Southern Star. I would choose the dinner cruise over WOK. The crew is just the best, and very friendly and entertaining.

The people sitting at our table were staying at St. Regis on the north shore, and didn't mind driving back in the dark

10. Re: Captain Andy's Southern Star vs WOK

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 June 2013, 02:16