We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How much time to allow from Princeville to Lihue ?

Columbia, South...
Level Contributor
24 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
How much time to allow from Princeville to Lihue ?

We will be staying in Princeville in October and have a departing flight from Lihue at 11on a Saturday morning. How much time should we allow for the drive to Lihue and check in at the airport? We have thought about leaving Princeville on Friday and staying at the Marriott so we can experience that area for a day and be closer to the airport. Any thoughts, suggestions would be appreciated.

San Carlos...
Level Contributor
1,530 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How much time to allow from Princeville to Lihue ?

I would not spend the time to pack and go through the check in hassle for one day at the Marriot. If you have a 11 am flight I would leave Princeville no later than 8:00-8:30. You will probably be seeing most of the island on your vacation and will be going through Lihue a few times. It's not my favorite area of the island though. Poipu is great if you wanted to split the vacation up depending on how long you are there for. Last time we were there for ten days, 5 in Poipu and 5 in Princeville and that worked out perfect for us. If you like gardens the National botanical gardens on the south side are a must. Waimea canyon is also a must. Na Pali coast trip is also fabulous. Love Kauai!

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
23,364 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How much time to allow from Princeville to Lihue ?

Allow at least an hour from Princeville. There's been road work numerous places along Kuhio, and the speed limits have been lowered substantially. Saturday morning you shouldn't run into much traffic, but you can take the Kapa`a bypass to Wailua and miss most of the potentially bad spots.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
359 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How much time to allow from Princeville to Lihue ?

Just a thought - we often just pack a backpack as an overnight bag and will stay at the Westin when we spend a day in Princeville, etc. (great last minute deals). You could do the same if you decide to spend your last night at the Marriott. Personally, I probably would do that - it's a long travel day; I'd just rather not be rushed or worrying about traffic.

Princeville, Hawaii
Level Contributor
7,004 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How much time to allow from Princeville to Lihue ?

You have plenty of time ( with todays road conditions) to get there within an hour using the bypass. In October who knows but I would not worry about it now.

California
Level Contributor
35,806 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How much time to allow from Princeville to Lihue ?

It is not a big deal to leave in the morning. Even if you try going during "rush hour traffic" its an extra 15-20 minutes. I can make the airport in 50 mintutes but then factor in getting gas in Kapaa and return of rental car. Usually on the day I leave from Princeville, I get up early (I pack the night before) and grab gas in Kapaa and then get coffee at Java Kai or a full breakfast at Olympic Cafe or another location down on the East side. Leaving at 8-8:30 will give you all the time you need. Saturday am's you don't have commuters so it should be smooth sailing.

Chicago
Level Contributor
156 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How much time to allow from Princeville to Lihue ?

We just did this drive a few times this week and it's about 50 minutes, and that's with construction.

7. Re: How much time to allow from Princeville to Lihue ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 June 2013, 21:41