We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Waimea Canyon vs Grand Canyon

Nanaimo, BC
Level Contributor
240 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Waimea Canyon vs Grand Canyon

Waimea Canyon has often been called the Grand Canyon of the Pacific and having stood on its rim overlooking its beauty I can certainly see why. But how does it actually compare to the real Grand Canyon in Arizona? Well, I visited Kauai in 2010 and recently returned from a trip to the Grand Canyon so I thought I would have a go at comparing them.

http://lornecollicutt.com/blog/?p=538

California
Level Contributor
9,302 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Waimea Canyon vs Grand Canyon

Beautiful pictures! Both are amazing aren't they? Thank you for sharing!

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
16,327 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Waimea Canyon vs Grand Canyon

Loco, I always enjoy your fabulous photos. Keep 'em coming.

Princeville, Hawaii
Level Contributor
6,974 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Waimea Canyon vs Grand Canyon

Thanks so much. Having seen them both also, I would say Waimea is a " kinder gentler" canyon with more green.

Pittsburgh, PA
Level Contributor
1,305 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Waimea Canyon vs Grand Canyon

I've never been to The Grand Canyon, but based on your pictures, I think the edge goes to Waimea Canyon. Considering the size of the land that both sit on Waimea Canyon is a much greater percentage of land of Kauai compared to the Grand Canyon's percentage of the mainland. Just another way of looking at it.

ON, Canada
Level Contributor
12,612 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Waimea Canyon vs Grand Canyon

Thanks for posting this comparison! Having spent time at both, my thought is that GC is more spectacular for size, but Waimea for scenery & colour. Where would I return to visit if I could only choose one ... Waimea!

Nanaimo, BC
Level Contributor
240 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Waimea Canyon vs Grand Canyon

The Grand Canyon may be a bit more spectacular but Waimea is on Kauai...nuf said.

The Colony, Texas
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
1,743 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Waimea Canyon vs Grand Canyon

I'll take Wiamea hands down ! When done with the canyon it's a lot shorter drive to the beach ! ha ha !

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
37,935 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Waimea Canyon vs Grand Canyon

TXGal - that is funny! :)

They are both amazing places - I am wowed when you drive to the Grand Canyon because nothing quite prepares you for that - it is just right there! Some amazing hikes in the GC, but Waimea is on Kauai . . . :)

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
16,327 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Waimea Canyon vs Grand Canyon

The size of the Grand Canyon , miles long and depth , makes me feel like I'm on another planet. It's really hard to digest and attempt to put it into perspective when looking at it. It has a whole other dimension to it than Waimea Canyon because of the size. So I guess I'm much more blown away by the GC. That said, I like what TXgal said... WC is closer to the beach.

10. Re: Waimea Canyon vs Grand Canyon

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2013, 08:16