We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kauai Trip Report Part 3 - Waimea etc. by land & air

NJ
Level Contributor
196 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Kauai Trip Report Part 3 – Waimea etc. by land & air

Breakfast in condo early, drive around towards Waimea Canyon, thru rain, sun, clouds and rainbows. Stop briefly in tiny Hanapepe – the Hanapepe Café was closed due to owners personal situation.

So we stop in at the cute and funky Small Fish Café up the street and get a latte, a mocha, and a delicious fruit smoothie.

Take the first turn up to the canyon, stop and walk about the overlooks with varying degrees of clouds and sun, but thankful that when we hit the last turn off in Kokee, that the Kalalau Valley clears for just few minutes to experience that awe inspiring vista.

Back down the other fork, to lunch at the Shrimp Station for shrimp tacos, garlic shrimp with rice, fried mahi sandwich. The shrimp plates were tasty (they're hard to screw up as long as you don’t overcook the shrimp). It surprised us that the mahi was fried and was probably our least favorite piece of otherwise outstanding fish we had all week. Maybe stick to the shrimp at their locations here Waimea and Kapaa.

Onto the airport area for our semi-spontaneous helicopter tour with Safari. Wife and daughter get to go up front, I go in the middle left in the back figuring I’m taller. I give my daughter the better PowerShot and my wife takes my daughters camera. Unfortunately either in passing the cameras back and forth and showing my wife what to do, the setting on the PowerShot gets moved from the Av setting to the Tv setting screwing up those pix beyond fixing.

Although it was a challenge shooting from where I was sitting and I wish I had asked the pilot Ian to swing wider from the coast (see my other comments related to this in my recent post re Helicopter Photo Tips), the Sony a55 performed admirably, especially in regard to its ability to rip off up to 10 frames per second.

Although I do loves me some photography, don’t think I didn’t take the time to take it all in – it was way cool especially how they combine it with the music and use Bose noise cancelling headphones. The pilot Ian was great as was the other folks at Safari. The girls were also buzzed – they should be – they were up front!

On way back to the condo, stop by Café Coco and Mermaids Café to scope them out and are intrigued by Mermaid. Back to condo for some killer homemade rum drinks, a dip in pool, even (briefly) check out the news to make sure the real world is still in place.

Out to the hole in wall known as Mermaids Café along the main street there (its nice that we didn’t have to fuss over our dinner appearance LOL). Grab a couple of big Blue Moon beers across the street at the ABC store after we order. We hang at one of the small sidewalk tables to watch the world of what feels is similar to other “surf” or beach towns I’ve spent time in.

We thoroughly enjoy super fresh high quality mahi focaccias with pesto spread and an ahi cilantro wrap and talk about upcoming days. The stir frys others are getting look and smell mighty good too.

Back at the condo enjoy a clear night out on the lanai, marvel at the stars (shooting and otherwise). Couldn’t make out any constellations, so made a few of our own like Jack Johnson suggests.

Next up will be North Shore, probably not until later next week. Thanks for props on pix and words.

The photos from this day have been added to the set…

https:/…

Florida
Level Contributor
69 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kauai Trip Report Part 3 – Waimea etc. by land & air

I have enjoyed your report and look forward to more. Our family will be traveling to Kauai in July. We do plan on doing a helicpoter tour, considering the doors off one....yikes a little scary but my daughters and hubby want that extra thrill. Your pictures are beautiful!!!!! Can't wait to continue reading the rest of your adventures.

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,896 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kauai Trip Report Part 3 – Waimea etc. by land & air

Aloha from Kaua'i!

Yes, unfortunately the Hanapepe Cafe and Bakery is closed for good - or at least until someone else might decide to open it up.

Glad you had fun on your helicopter tour - enjoying your reports!

Malama Pono,

Janet

California
Level Contributor
37,205 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kauai Trip Report Part 3 – Waimea etc. by land & air

<<Although I do loves me some photography, don’t think I didn’t take the time to take it all in – it was way cool especially how they combine it with the music and use Bose noise cancelling headphones. >>

That was my previous question. If you are shooting from a lens the entire trip don't you loose the real reason you spend that kind of money so you can see the island? I know people love taking pictures, but take some time to smell the flowers and SEE the flowers. Put the camera down and enjoy. Glad you did!

Riverside, CA
Level Contributor
679 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kauai Trip Report Part 3 – Waimea etc. by land & air

Thanks again!

Level Contributor
113 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kauai Trip Report Part 3 – Waimea etc. by land & air

Great photos! Thanks for sharing.

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
3,785 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Kauai Trip Report Part 3 – Waimea etc. by land & air

Any camera that can make a chicken look good to me - and yours did! - has to be pretty darn impressive!! Never have I liked a picture of one before. I mean NEVER!

Beautiful depth - I particularly love the Makawehi cliffs shots. So beautiful!! Mahalo!

Schaumburg, IL
Level Contributor
792 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Kauai Trip Report Part 3 – Waimea etc. by land & air

I thought the same thing about the chicken photo!

Alaska
Level Contributor
10,713 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Kauai Trip Report Part 3 – Waimea etc. by land & air

Your photos were amazing! Thanks for sharing and giving me such great info for my trip file. I really like your writing style. :-)

Littleton, Colorado
Level Contributor
24 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Kauai Trip Report Part 3 – Waimea etc. by land & air

I think I saw your pic in a previous post- but I looove the picture of the

sunset through the driftwood. I would frame that on my wall! I also loved

the Mahaulepu pictures with the waves.. gorgeous.

I am visiting next week for the first time.. so your trip report is so great for me to read.

10. Re: Kauai Trip Report Part 3 – Waimea etc. by land & air

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 June 2013, 08:17