We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Honey?

Denver
Level Contributor
73 posts
Save Topic
Honey?

May sound like a strange question but can someone please tell me the best place to get local honey? And, can I get it through. Ag inspection in my carrying or will I have to mail it back to the mainland?

California
Level Contributor
9,503 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Honey?

http://www.volcanoislandhoney.com/ This is the best honey I've ever had; I order some every year, and you can find it in most stores on Kauai--not local but from the Big Island. You can buy local honey at Hilo Hattie's and probably at most supermarkets. Not sure about taking it on the plane, but just doing a quick search, it looks like you can order it from several places including Hilo Hattie's.

California
Level Contributor
36,411 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Honey?

Honey would be considered a liquid so pack it in your checked bag. I buy local honey at the farmer's market in Hanalei.

When I first saw the question posted, I thought my husband was calling me...

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
23,603 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Honey?

You won't be able to get it through security at the airport. You'll have to pack it or ship it.

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,874 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Honey?

Aloha from Kaua'i!

I have 2 friends here who are beekeepers and who sell honey at the local farmer's markets (Puhi on Saturday, Behind K-Mart on Mondays, and a few others) - the most consistent of them both is "Honi Honi Honey" (honi means kiss) and is made from honey that is collected here on the South Shore.

I have about 3 jars of each in my cupboard right now - and I also love the honeycomb that Honi Honi Honey sells - that is sooo tasty!

Malama Pono,

Janet

Denver
Level Contributor
73 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Honey?

Thanks everyone.

Janet, we will be there in September. If its ok I will pm you before we come, perhaps you could hook me up with your friends? I will have a shipment coming back and will plan on making room for several bottles. Perhaps they would be willing to sell me some beeswax as well?

Thannks again everyone.

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
1,118 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Honey?

Here's a Big Second for Honi Honi Honey! LOVE IT!!!

Last time I knew, they sell at the Wednesday Market at Kukui'ula and probably other markets as well.

But we love that market and Honi Honi is one of the reasons why!

(The Right Slice being the other reason!)

BARBARA

Wailua
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
1,812 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Honey?

The natural food stores in Kapaa (Papaya's and Hoku) have a good selection of local honey, at least 2 or 3 brands in several sizes (up to 32 oz mason jars).

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,874 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Honey?

Aloha from Kaua'i!

Kala mai - I just saw your post "nwmshp"!

Certainly, please feel free to PM me and I'd be happy to give you contact info for my Honi Honi Honey friend!

Great guy - also teaches surfing - and is involved in many Hawaiian cultural activities.....

Malama Pono,

Janet

San Diego...
Level Contributor
5,801 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Honey?

Ag inspection shouldn't be an issue for honey, but regardless, mailing forbidden items around the inspection is precisely how dangerous pests get places where they currently aren't. BAD BAD IDEA.

Denver
Level Contributor
73 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Honey?

Dave820, please don't misunderstand - I'm not trying to get around Ag inspection at all - I fully support and respect what they are trying to do. What I'm trying to get around is having honey all over my luggage (and possibly other's luggage) when I get home because I improperly packed it. Also, by shipping the honey via USPS I would get out of lugging it through the airport and allowing for more room to bring back less breakable items.

Is there a proper way to ship it back to the mainland - again, I don't mind going through Ag inspection if that is what is required. Assuming that it can even be shipped. If not, I'll simply eat what I can while I'm there, but it would truly be a shame to be able to share with friends here on the mainland.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.