We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can someone compare Kauai and Maui towns/areas for me please

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
575 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Can someone compare Kauai and Maui towns/areas for me please

We are coming to Kauai for eight nights 11/10 to 11/18 and are still trying to decide on an area to stay. I've posted twice before on the forum and do appreciate the input given so far, but we are still a bit torn.

I've never been to Kauai, my husband has once but it was a long time ago.

We've been to Maui twice in the last few years and have loved it.

So if there is someone that has been to both islands and can help me get a feel for which area of Kauai is like which area of Maui, I think that would help.

I think I already understand the weather in the different areas in November, but I'm not sure I don't have a handle on the "vibes" of them.

Here are some guesses, are they accurate at all?

Poipu most like Kaanapali

Kapaa most like Kihei

Lihue most like Kahului

Princeville most like Wailea

Hanalei most like Hana

Is there an area on Kauai that compares to Lahaina or Napili on Maui?

Thank you so much.

California
Level Contributor
35,250 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Can someone compare Kauai and Maui towns/areas for me please

I'll give it a try:

Poipu most like Kaanapali

Sort of, but no high rises.

Kapaa most like Kihei

Yes!

Lihue most like Kahului

Hum! Is that near the airport? It would be a very mini version. They both have Costco!

Princeville most like Wailea

No except the golf course. Wailea is dry with mega resorts. Princville is lush with mountains all around. The only resort in Princeville is The St Regis. I think Princeville is more like Kapalua.

Hanalei most like Hana

Well sort of. The road to Hanalei is beautiful like the road to Hana but the North Shore overall reminds me more of Napili Bay.

Is there an area on Kauai that compares to Lahaina or Napili on Maui?

The first time I went to Napili Bay I thought it looked like a mini Hanalei Bay. Luckily there is no place on Kauai that reminds me of Lahaina.

That's my take and I go to Maui every year lately. Others might have a different take.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
4,027 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Can someone compare Kauai and Maui towns/areas for me please

I just think trying to compare areas on Maui to areas on Kauai is a pointless exercise.

In November it will be more rainy on the north shore and larger surf (generally). The eastern shore generally does not offer much in terms of swimmable beaches. South Shore is where I would stay in November (read: Poipu).

I can tell you that if you have an expectation of Kauai being like Maui you will be disappointed. It's just completely different.

I think Jebett has made a few good points.

Edited: 27 May 2012, 05:32
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
575 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Can someone compare Kauai and Maui towns/areas for me please

I do know it's different in many ways and that's why I want to experience it!

Jebett, that was very helpful, thank you.

Nederland, Colorado
Level Contributor
9,598 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Can someone compare Kauai and Maui towns/areas for me please

Each island is unique. It is difficult to compare. What vibe are you looking for on Kauai?

This is my impression as a Kauai newbie who spent the past 22 years vacationing on Maui (Wailea and Hana).

We stayed in Poipu earlier this month. If I had to compare, I'd say it is similar to Wailea in some respects.

Hanalei was my favorite town. I did not get a Hana "vibe". I suppose it felt a little like Paia to me. (Hana is magical and almost spiritual for me.)

I did not get a Ka'anapali or Lahaina feel anywhere on Kauai and that suited me just fine.

I haven't spent enough time in the other places you mentioned to comment.

Pick a spot, relax, and enjoy - you will love Kauai!

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,844 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Can someone compare Kauai and Maui towns/areas for me please

Aloha from Kaua'i!

"Poipu most like Kaanapali" - at the risk of offending Maui lovers - oh please, no way! lol

I live here in the Po'ipu area and believe me this area of beautiful beaches and low rise condos and hotels casually strung along the coastline here is absolutely nothing like Ka'anapali Beach.

Truly though, I feel that it really isn't anything like that - other than it is a VDA (vacation destination area) with many accomodations for visitors and a couple small shopping areas to browse in and eat. But I really think it is an entirely different vibe and feel altogether - there are still small, older residential areas all around this area with full-time residents and that makes for a nice mix I believe.

Maui and Kaua'i are so different that it is really hard to ask us to make comparisons between the two - I understand what you are going for, but apples and oranges - totally!

Malama Pono,

Janet

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
Level Contributor
19,269 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Can someone compare Kauai and Maui towns/areas for me please

"Here are some guesses, are they accurate at all?

Poipu most like Kaanapali"

NO! After staying in Kaanapali a couple dozen times, I find Poipu a breath of fresh air. No wall to wall high rises lining the beach, or mobs of people in a small area.

Maryland
Level Contributor
395 posts
315 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Can someone compare Kauai and Maui towns/areas for me please

There are no big town center areas in Kaui like Kaanapali or Lahaina. Kapaa Town is the largest stretch but more spread out. There are many small towns spread out over the island from the North shore from Hanalieall the way down to the west to Waimea, very small. All along Kuhio hwy. Except for Poipu that is a few miles off Kuhio. Kapaa town and Lihue are pretty much the only places where there are a concentration of restaraunts and shops, but nothing at all like Kaanapali, and Lahaina. Much smaller scale. In Kauai I like many others enjoy what the local island has to offer. The farmers markets, small business that have local fare you dont get anywhere else. Maui has become so more commercial and upscale, uppity. My favorite beach area is taken over by the new Marriott timeshare in Maui. This place was secluded and had a nice quiet strech of beach. Not anymore. :( There are no town centers directly on the water like Kannapali and Lahaina. I love Maui but love Kauai too. I think one way to put it is Kauai is more about the beauty of the island and not the restaruants and shopping. The vibe to me is "leave your high heels at home"

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
575 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Can someone compare Kauai and Maui towns/areas for me please

Thank you all so much. This has been very helpful!

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
1,116 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Can someone compare Kauai and Maui towns/areas for me please

We've been to Maui twice and Kauai once. The way I found them was that Maui was more urban and Kauai more rural. We received stink eye on Maui more than once from locals. On Kauai, we found the locals to be very friendly and helpful. The two islands are very different from one another but I love them both. That's why I need to keep going back to see which one I like better. :o)

White Plains, New...
Destination Expert
for White Plains, Aruba
Level Contributor
6,219 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Can someone compare Kauai and Maui towns/areas for me please

Cute comparisons. But why compare? Each island is unique, they are different. If you do not think you will like or enjoy this wonderful place , then stay in Maui. ... Maui is great, my DH enjoys it there. Kauai is my favorite place... My heart is there! Please enjoy Kauai for each unique quality. If you are comparing, then you can't enjoy.

Have fun get into the Spirit.

Safe travels........ See a rainbow.