We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kauai restaurants? and things to do with a 3 year old

salt lake
Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Kauai restaurants? and things to do with a 3 year old

Hi: We will be visiting Kauai in 3 days. We are staying at the north shore-westin Princeville for 3 days and south shore-Grand Hyatt for 4 days. Does anyone have any recommendations for good restaurants ?

. Also, any suggestions for beaches/hikes or other recommended activities with a 3-year old? Thank you all so much.

California
Level Contributor
37,453 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kauai restaurants? and things to do with a 3 year old

To the right is a section called hiking with kids. Here is one suggestion.

tripadvisor.com/…25253190

You are staying at two nice places (though I like the Hyatt better). You will love the pool at The Hyatt and so will your 3 year old. When at the Westin they have a shuttle that will drive you over to the St Regis and their beach but my favorite beaches on the North Shore are Hanalei Bay and Anini. Ke'e is great too but gets crowded. You get a discount for food at The Regis and trust me you will need it.

Go to blueflamingo's name under destination experts. Click on her name and see her posts. She has a blog from her trip last year with her little ones. It gives lots of suggestions.

When traveling with little ones I usually suggest casual dining places and eating early. On the North Shore this could include Kalypsos and Princeville Tavern. South Shore I think Keokis would work.

Have you bought a guidebook? I suggest you do. Also in the search box above just type in "traveling with kids", top restaurants etc. It can give you lots of good information.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
1,785 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kauai restaurants? and things to do with a 3 year old

I would go ahead and sign up jbett as a sitter for date night. She loves to do that when she is on island..

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Catalina Island
Level Contributor
14,784 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kauai restaurants? and things to do with a 3 year old

Eating early is key with the little ones. We've taken our kids at all ages to just about every restaurant on Kauai except St. Regis (just because it just opened recently) and Red Salt at Koa Kea (just did not think they would like it). They have eaten at both Dondero's and Tide Pools at the Grand Hyatt many times and as well as Keoki's, Plantation Gardens, Roy's, Casa di Amici, Brennecke's (lunch only) etc. in Poipu. I did not take them to Joesslin's in Poipu because they are very sensitive to loud places and I know my now 13 year old would have bolted back to the condo. Most places on Kauai are great with kids (again, I have not been to the St. Regis).

BTW, my now 13 year old celebrated his 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th year birthdays at Plantation Gardens. I guess it's become a favorite of his.

Also, please check out Mediterranean Gourmet in Haena (north shore) for either lunch or dinner. Fabulous place!

Edited: 04 June 2012, 02:56
California
Level Contributor
37,453 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kauai restaurants? and things to do with a 3 year old

<<I would go ahead and sign up jbett as a sitter for date night. She loves to do that when she is on island..>>

Hey buy me an airline ticket and my own room at The Hyatt (a suite please) and I will be your sitter.

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
Level Contributor
20,603 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kauai restaurants? and things to do with a 3 year old

When our granddaughter was three, she loved Tidepools, Keoki's Paradise and Plantation Gardens, when we were staying at the Hyatt.

Do you have the breakfast pla?. She enjoyed watching the swans swim at Illima Terrace in the Koi fish pond.

Denver
Destination Expert
for Poipu
Level Contributor
3,362 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Kauai restaurants? and things to do with a 3 year old

My trip report blog is http://kauaiflamingos.blogspot.com - click on Kauai Activities with Kids for ideas. (Joan, I only show up as a DE if you're in the Poipu forum - confused the heck out of me for the first few days!).

Keoki's Paradise in Poipu is great for kids; we took our then 9 month old to Plantation Gardens in 09 and sat out on the verandah/lanai - we explored the gardens and koi ponds while waiting for our food.

Stop at Lappert's at Kukui'ula Marketplace for ice cream, of course! TA member LoveMahalepu told me that she thought Tortilla Republic would be a good place for kids - haven't gotten a chance to check it out yet ourselves!

Hamura Saimen was fun - my toddler LOVED the Chinese pretzels.

Feel free to PM me with any specific questions about traveling to Kauai with little ones.

Edited: 04 June 2012, 16:06
California
Level Contributor
37,453 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Kauai restaurants? and things to do with a 3 year old

(Joan, I only show up as a DE if you're in the Poipu forum - confused the heck out of me for the first few days!).

You need to write to support and have them add your name. That is their oversite.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
54,345 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Kauai restaurants? and things to do with a 3 year old

While the 3 year will be welcome any place, you might be bored at some of the better places like Red Salt and Merriman's, but I do think he/she'd like Keoki's Paradise, Plantation Garden Tidepools, Tortilla Republic and maybe the Beach House.

If you get into Lihue, Duke's is great for lunch, so is Hamura for Saimin and Top Top or Dani's.

In the North we like The Makana Terrace and Kauai Grill at the St. Regis, but I don't think a 3 year old could sit still through a Kauai Grill meal. The Tavern by Roy Yamaguchi in Princeville is great as well. In Hanalei good spots are Bar Acuda, from the owners of Living Foods in Kukui'ula Shopping Center, Mediterranean Gourmet, Postcards Cafe, Hanalei Gourmet and Tahiti Nui.

La Verne, California
Level Contributor
573 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Kauai restaurants? and things to do with a 3 year old

If your little one is like my two (and myself) we like treats. Up north we like to stop at Banana Joes for frosties (frozen fruit put through a juicer which comes out like soft serve ice cream) and shave ice from Wishing Well in Hanalei. Enjoy - we're arriving June 26th and can't wait!

salt lake
Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Kauai restaurants? and things to do with a 3 year old

Thank you all very much.

Jebett--thanks for the offer--will take you up on it next time :)

CAnative- Yes-we do have the breakfast plan which we are excited about.