We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Deal seats on Alaska

Seattle, WA
Level Contributor
68 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Best Deal seats on Alaska

I'm wondering if there are any Washington state folk who can advise me about booking on Alaska. We want to go to LIH nonstop over the Seattle public school spring break in 2013. For our dates there are no "best deal" (meaning a bit cheaper and non-refundable) available. However, according to the seat map there are only a few coach seats already sold. Do they post more Best Deal seats, or are they gone once they are gone? I'm not expecting airfare to fluctuate much for this flight, but I don't want to pay too much unnecessarily.

Also, do they make fewer Best Deal seats available for higher demand flights like the ones I am aiming for?

Much appreciated if someone knows!

California
Level Contributor
6,333 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Deal seats on Alaska

Your way to early for spring airfare booking. I'm currently in Hawaii having flown on Alaska out of Oakland. We purchased of seats just a few months ago I easily got seats for less than $400. R/T

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
16,902 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Deal seats on Alaska

It's too early to tell and even Alaska doesn't know at this time how they're going to price out the seats as the months go by. By their standards they just recently posted the flight and they post them with just initial fares. Some folks will grab seats right away no matter what the cost because they want that flight, period. So the seats you're seeing as sold weren't necessarily the best offers. As time goes by the airlines "audit" flights to see how they're selling out and they'll roll out more seats as new price levels. This could go either way. If a flight is selling out easily they may not offer any great deals. You won't know until you get a little closer.

So you need to play the same game. Keep an eye on the flight, prices and how its booking up, and you'll get a feeling for when to pull the trigger

Edited: 06 June 2012, 14:50
Alaska
Level Contributor
10,711 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Deal seats on Alaska

Our experience with Alaska Air is that their prices are higher during spring break and Christmas holidays. At least that is the way they price for their Alaska (state) flights....significantly higher.

California
Level Contributor
37,034 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Deal seats on Alaska

I doubt you will see any good deals during WA State's spring break. You might consider getting an Alaska Credit card which intitles you to a $99 companion pass. It makes at least 2 tickets 50% off. Also if you purchase tickets now and they go down later, Alaska refunds the difference in a voucher to be used for future travel within a certain time frame.

Seattle, WA
Level Contributor
68 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Best Deal seats on Alaska

Yes, I got the credit cards just a couple of weeks ago jebett. I want to use them to offset paying more for the non-stop flight, but what has surprised me is that there are no non-refundable tickets (Best Deal) available, (But they are available on adjacent days.)

The fares for this one flight a day (SEA to LIH direct) don't seem to fluctuate much and it's going to be expensive. I'm just wondering if Best Deal tickets ever reappear once they are gone.

Thanks to all!

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
16,902 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Best Deal seats on Alaska

You may not see more of those Best Deal seats for spring break out of Seattle. The Alaska airlines nonstops are wildly popular out of Seattle and Hawaii is wildly popular with the Seattle spring break crowd. Their options for nonstops are very limited. I didn't read closely enough that you're talking about spring break weeks. On that note I somewhat modify what I said above which is the general rule but for your dates may not apply at all because they don't worry about those flights selling out.

Edited: 06 June 2012, 17:19
Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
3,968 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best Deal seats on Alaska

We ended up going out of Portland for spring break 2012 to HNL. LIH is, IMHO, the hardest flight to book from SEA and the most expensive. Getting the card is the best option AND little known fact, you can have more than one card so more than one companion ticket. Even paying the $75 annual fee and the approximately $120 fare and taxes it's still way cheaper. We learned about the credit card thing onboard our flight at Christmas from the Flight Attendent. Good luck. My husband is a school teacher so we always are traveling at the most expensive times. You do know that if Alaska reduces your fare you can request the difference as a refund. But you must do the research. Donna

Seattle, WA
Level Contributor
68 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Best Deal seats on Alaska

Zubsin, we did order two separate accounts so that we can get tickets for both our kids. Totally good deal, I just wish we could use it one week later when fares are 40% cheaper! Oh well- that's why we got the cards, so that we can go the days we want and go non-stop. If I weren't being stubborn about the direct flight, this would be much easier.

I really appreciate the info about Alaska refunding the difference if fares go down. (Even if it's only a credit- we'd use it.) If that's the case, there really is no reason to wait, right? I will call the airline to confirm the terms of that before booking.

Seattle, WA
Level Contributor
68 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Best Deal seats on Alaska

In case anyone is interested, here are the t and c for Alaska's low fare guarantee.

alaskaair.com/content/deals/special-offers/p…

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
16,902 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Best Deal seats on Alaska

And just to make sure everyone knows......the Alaska companion seat fare of $99 is valid with any paid published fare. Not just the regular non-discounted rack rates. It's a common belief that you can only use the companion certificate with a full rack rate seat but it's not so. Also, you get this certificate on an annual basis - the anniversary date of your card enrollment. It's an incredible offer, best out there. I always wonder when they're going to discontinue it because it's almost too good to be true.