We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What are the best swimming beaches??

Surprise, Arizona
Level Contributor
149 posts
Save Topic
What are the best swimming beaches??

I prefer a sandy bottom to the water (no rocks like Poipu) and not big waves. Just good swimming or playing around in the water.

Any beaches where the water is clear and turquoise in color?

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,506 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What are the best swimming beaches??

Anini Beach

Hanalei Bay

Most people like to snorkel and go to the beaches that have reefs and marine life, the two above should work out for you.

Soddy Daisy...
Level Contributor
1,804 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What are the best swimming beaches??

I would add Ke'e to those two.

La Mirada...
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
16,636 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What are the best swimming beaches??

Good swimming depends on the surf conditions, but I love swimming at Anahola and Kalihiwai (my favorite). It's hard to find really clear, blue water on Kaua‘i since there are so many rivers and streams coming into the ocean. The leeward side of the BI does have the clear, blue water.

3Chihuahuas

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
24,325 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What are the best swimming beaches??

Anini, Ke`e, Hanalei Bay. The north end of Kealia can be good on a calm day.

5. Re: What are the best swimming beaches??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 09 June 2012, 23:05
Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,961 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What are the best swimming beaches??

Aloha from Kaua'i!

You don't indicate what time of year you are coming here - that can definitely determine what are the "best swimming beaches" since during much of the winter-time the North Shore gets heavy swells and rough ocean conditions that makes it dangerous to swim.

Need to let us know when you are planning on visiting in order to give you some safe and reasonable recommendations.

Malama Pono,

Janet

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
17,352 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: What are the best swimming beaches??

My gut is to recommend Hanalei Bay, one of the swimming areas further down the beach away from the river (water is murker by the pier). But you don't indicate what time of year you're coming in.

Surprise, Arizona
Level Contributor
149 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: What are the best swimming beaches??

It will be at the end of August.

Thanks!

California
Level Contributor
9,751 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What are the best swimming beaches??

Hanalei Bay, Ke'e, and Anini should be just what you're looking for.

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
17,352 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: What are the best swimming beaches??

Good advice from 22kauai. Now, a little more info for you on Hanalei Bay beaches.

It seems that many tourists , on their first visit to Hanalei Bay, head straight to Black Pot Beach where the pier is. Maybe they don't realize there are better swimming areas along Hanalei Bay where the water is much clearer. The water at Black Pot Beach is stirred up from the water feeding into it from Hanalei River. The sand is equally not as clean. (not to speak of how crowded it gets there). So head to the next parking area on down the beach at Paviliions Beach Park. It's roughly 1/3 of the way around the bay starting at Black Pot. Much cleaner water and is lifeguarded with restrooms and showers.

To get there..... turn right towards the bay immediately after Ching Young Village . In a couple of blocks you'll come to Weke Road, turn right. Shortly you will see the small parking area and concrete block restroom facility on your left. Parking can be tight.

Another nice area is Waioli Beach Park (aka Pine Trees ). Instead of turning right on Weke turn left. Shortly you'll see the parking on the right. Parking is easier here. The water is slightly rougher here as it winds around the bay. Still, a very nice swim on summer days.

Both of these beaches have sandy bottom, no rocks for much of the way out, particularly Pavilions. Sometimes in the summer a sand bar will form pretty far out in the water and it can look like people are walking on water from the shore. My favorite spot for an easy swim.