We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Besides Beach House, which other resturants are a must??

St. Louis, MO
Level Contributor
105 posts
Save Topic
Besides Beach House, which other resturants are a must??

Just booked a reservation for 6pm sunset dining at the Beach House and was wondering what other places are a must to go eat while there for the week? We will be stopping by Costco once we land as we'll stock on snacks and stuff to eat for breakfast. We're staying in the Poipu area. Been told to go to Bubba's for burgers up at North Shore, Scottys for BBQ, and I guess Dukes as well. We'll go to a few places for lunch and probaby dine out every night while there.

St. Louis, MO
Level Contributor
105 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Besides Beach House, which other resturants are a must??

Also forgot to include - which ones do we have to make reservations for, just like the Beach House?? Thanks!!

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,896 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Besides Beach House, which other resturants are a must??

Aloha from Kaua'!

What are you looking for in a place to eat? Fine dining, ocean view, local cheap eats?

I live here in the Po'ipu area and don't eat out at the high-end restaurants, but if you are looking for inexpensive take-out places or local spots to eat here, in Lihu'e or the West Side - let me know!

The typical places you'll hear mentioned here on the South Shore are: Beach House, Merriman's, Josselin's, (last two at Kukui'ula Shopping Village), Plantation Gardens, Keoki's Paradise, Roy's, Joe's on the Green, Plantation Gardens, Brennecke's Beach Broiler, Casa di Amici, Kalapaki Joe's-Po'ipu, Red Salt, Tidepools, Dondero's, Yum Cha, Pizzetta, Tomcats. Closeby over in Kalaheo are Kalaheo Cafe and Coffee, Brick Oven Pizza, Kalaheo Steak House and Pomodoro's.

Take-out places here in the Po'ipu area would be Da Crack Mexican food, Sueoka Snack Shop, Koloa Fish Market, Chalupas, Kaua'i Food Truck, and Koloa Shave Ice and more. Also you have Bubba's Burgers at Kukui'ula Shopping Village (had boca burgers from there last nite on my way back from work), Savage Shrimp and Lappert's. The last 3 have sit down spots to eat.

Make reservations at: Merriman's, Josselin's, (last two at Kukui'ula Shopping Village), Plantation Gardens, Keoki's Paradise, Roy's, Joe's on the Green, Plantation Gardens, Brennecke's Beach Broiler, Casa di Amici, Kalapaki Joe's-Po'ipu, Red Salt, Tidepools, Dondero's, Yum Cha, Pomodoro and if you are going for dinner - Kalaheo Cafe and Coffee (I think they take them.)

Just to get you started!

Malama Pono,

Janet

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
23,915 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Besides Beach House, which other resturants are a must??

Hukilau Lanai in Kapa`a.

I prefer Kalapaki Beach Hut and Duane's Ono Charburger to Bubba Burgers.

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Venice, Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
9,334 posts
484 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Besides Beach House, which other resturants are a must??

<<I prefer Kalapaki Beach Hut >>

Absolutely!! And Hamura Saimin is an absolute must.

California
Level Contributor
9,659 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Besides Beach House, which other resturants are a must??

Beach House is definitely a good choice. You no longer have to travel to the North Shore for a hamburger at Bubba's; there's one at Kukui'ula Village in Poipu. Scotty's and Duke's are not a "must" for me. A few of the restaurants that I'm definitely looking forward to this month and next are Med. Gourmet, Bar Acuda, Monico's Taqueria. These three are my absolute favorites.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
53,958 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Besides Beach House, which other resturants are a must??

Beach House is a "must" for the view, the actual food isn't as good as Merriman's, Roy's, Josselin's or Red Salt . Tidepools and Plantation Gardens are Beach House's equals when it comes to food and ambiance.

Keoki's is fun, great for lunch and happy hour, Joe's on the Green is great for breakfast and happy hour. Kalapaki Joe's is a sports bar, Tortilla Republic a very good, upscale Mexican place and Dondero's, good Northern Italianspot.

Spots like Hamura's Saimin, Mark's Place, Sueoka Snack Shop and Koloa Fish Market are great local places and except for Hamura's, to go places.

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
27,691 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Besides Beach House, which other resturants are a must??

My partner has a theory that in most tourist spots the quality of the food is inversely proportionate to the distance of the restaurant from the water. While it doesn't hold exactly true for the Big Island, I've found it very true of Kauai. The Beach House I find disappointing. Ditto Tidepools, although the ambiance and setting of both are lovely. Just in terms of the best food, I really love Josselins mentioned by others, also Red Salt, and Bar Acuda and Med Gourmet up north.

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Catalina Island
Level Contributor
14,708 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Besides Beach House, which other resturants are a must??

I might be in the minority here but I no longer consider The Beach House "a must". We had some terrible service and food over the years and boycotted it for several years. We broke down last June and went again. Our server was a good friend of ours and he tried to make our evening enjoyable. But the entire kitchen and management rushes everyone in and out. The food was OK and the zoo at sunset was again, the same. It's VERY touristy, IMO. We will no longer dine there.

We reallly liked Merriman's but I would make a reservation and ask for a front table. Josslein's has great food but as Dave mentions, it's LOUD! Go early before the crowds pick up. The sangrias are fabulous! I have not tried Tortilla Repblic but I hear it's wonderful and being from So Cal, I cannot go more than a week without Mexican food. it's supposed to be quite good.

I really do not like Scotty's, Bubbas or Dukes. We do like Keoki's and we especially like the fish tacos in the bar. My husband tried Mark's Place (he is an extremely healthy eater) and could not find anything on the menu he liked. He tried a chicken sandwich and he said it was horrible. He calls it a "roach coach without wheels." We've had both dinner and lunch at The Mediterranean Gourmet this trip and it was amazing!!!!

Edited: 17 June 2012, 05:03
Morro Bay...
Level Contributor
813 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Besides Beach House, which other resturants are a must??

My vote goes to Josselin's or Merriman's on the south shore and Bar Acuda or Med Gourmet on the north shore.

Trumbull...
Level Contributor
32 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Besides Beach House, which other resturants are a must??

We just returned from our first trip to Kauai and we ate at Bar Acuda, Hukilau Lanai, The Beach House, The Eastside, and Kauai Grill. We did enjoy The Beach House (touristy, yes, and zooey at sunset, but our server was excellent and our meals were delicious) and Kauai Grill (great view, and a wonderful dining experience for us), but what pleasantly surprised us was The Eastside. Read the reviews, and you will see that it is a funky little place and some people complain of the slow service, but we thought the pace was just fine. We took our time and savored our time there and the food was outstanding from start to finish. If you go there expecting a quick meal, then yes, you might be disappointed in the pace of the restaurant. When you are on Kauai, you should slow down and savor!

We thought Hukilau Lanai was solid but not outstanding, and we were a little underwhelmed by Bar Acuda after reading such glowing reviews, but it was good and you could tell that the dishes were prepared with great attention to detail. I think tapas might be better suited for groups of more than two people.

We also ate at Merriman's on Maui and it was outstanding and one of our favorites. I loved that you could order a small dinner portion, which was the perfect size.