We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

late car rental return question

La Verne, California
Level Contributor
573 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
late car rental return question

Hello all, we are arriving next week at 5pm local time. As I understand it, our return is also 5pm. Our departure flight is at 8:30 pm. My question is, can we keep the car a little past 5 or will we be charged a huge late fee? Or can we arrange when we pick it up to keep it a little late? Don't have a lot of rental car experience so your help is appreciated. If it helps/matters we got a Thrifty rental through DHCR. Thanks.

California
Level Contributor
37,474 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: late car rental return question

You will be charged for the extra hours. When you get to the rental counter tell them the real time you are returning it.

I find that DHCR will change your time on the reservation so it doesn't look like a bigger charge. I made a reservation and said I am picking up at 10am and returning at 1pm. They suggested I change the time to say I am giving the car back at 10am. I don't understand why because you WILL get charged by the rental agency so the only think I can think of is they don't want you to be shocked when you see the added fee by the hour.

La Verne, California
Level Contributor
573 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: late car rental return question

Any idea what the charge is per hour, as we will probably return around 6 instead of 5?

La Mirada...
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
16,270 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: late car rental return question

From DHCR, Thrifty terms & conditions:

>>>Late Returns: Rates are based on a 24 hour rental period. Late returns are assessed an hourly charge at a rate equal to 1/3 the daily rate up to but not exceeding the daily rate. If you return your car more than 24 hours after your reserved time, a surcharge of $10.99 per day to an maximum of $54.95 applies in addition to the rental charges for the extra day(s).<<<

I'm sure it would be less per hour if you just reserve the car until 6pm, rather than returning it late - tell them when you pick it up.

3Chihuahuas

California
Level Contributor
37,474 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: late car rental return question

All I know is it isn't based on the good rate I got but rather their regular hourly rate. I can't remember exactly but I think I was charged another $30 or $40.

Rogers, Arkansas
Level Contributor
20 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: late car rental return question

If you are arriving at the airport at 5pm I would make your reservation at 5:30 or 6pm. By the time you get your luggage, ride the shuttle to the rental agency, etc it will be later then 5pm. This way you will not incur late return charges and have the extra time to savor Kauai.

Alhambra, California
Level Contributor
1,442 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: late car rental return question

We're picking up our car at 1pm but our flight is at 9ish, when I called to ask they told me it would be an additional $20. Not bad at all....

Canada
Level Contributor
9,229 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: late car rental return question

As a previous poster mentions....the actual pick-up time will be stamped out later than your "landing time"

There is a 29 min "grace period on returns....meaning if you are within that time frame past the return time..there is no charge.

I suggest you make the reservation from 6 p.m- 6 p.m. If you happen to pick it up a little early..so be it. The actual pick-up time will be stamped on your contract. Upon the return...."x" number of 24 hr periods later (plus 29 mins Grace)....should put you right where you want to be.

We rent dozens of vehicles a year and this have never been an issue. The grace period used to be 59 mins..sorry to see that change....

Wailua
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
1,845 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: late car rental return question

Yes, you can delay pick-up a bit and then play the grace period a bit and be fine. I thought the grace period was an hour before, but I totally understand why they shortened it. We've had so many threads here about the shortage of cars, including one poster who waited at the agency until someone returned the car they had reserved. With turn-around like that, it's no wonder they're depending on people returning the cars on-time, and probably needed to encourage that by cutting back the grace period.

9. Re: late car rental return question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 June 2013, 06:15